• I was a playtester but I stopped

Votes: 91 49.7%
  • I have been a playtester from the start and still am

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • I joined the process late but am still playtesting

Votes: 12 6.6%

mlund

First Post
This is what killed my playtest. The players just did not feel that it was contributing anything and the long gap waiting for new material just killed meant people slowly dropped out.

This impacted us as well. There was way too much of a "why bother,this was already reported by 'real' play testers who are 2 iterations ahead of us and we're just wasting our time with obsolete rule sets anyway" vibe going on.

Addititionally, almost all the emphasis has been on character generation, when the biggest innovations of the last 10 years of D&D (IMO) were the improved tools for adventure, monster, and encounter generation. You can have the best char-gen in the market and if you still have this awful of a bestiary you don't even have a second-rate hack-and slash dungeon crawler on your hands. There's no mechanical depth on the interaction side of things yet either.

So I've got obsolete numbers with bad monsters to crunch and a complete dearth of any other aspects of the game to touch on. That's not going to fly very far in terms of keeping interest with my friends and I.

Constructive suggestions:

1. Stop handing off defunct rules to public play testers. Some lag is Expected but this gets silly.

2. Pay more attention to monsters, traps, and interaction specifics. If these stink Char Gen isn't going to matter.

- Marty Lund

Iosue

Legend
I have to ask, what was it you liked about 4e that you see so well replicated in 5e. Only ask because I'm clear as to why so many 4e players don't see what they are used to.

(Please no edition wars)
No edition warring necessary! A while back there was a thread on what people liked about 4e. Here's what I wrote:
Iosue said:
I love all editions of D&D, but particularly close to my heart are Red Box Basic and 4e. Red Box because it's what we played the most and the longest back in the day. And 4e because many of its changes are things I house ruled or wanted to house rule in D&D. Things like:

At-will spells - I understood and agreed with the idea of Vancian magic as a limit on Wild Wizard Shenainigans. But I often thought that a magic-user should be able to use some low-level spells whenever they wanted. E.g., magic missile as a basic self-defense spell. Read magic whenever needed. Cantrips to give that wizardly sheen. Lo and behold, 4e does exactly this.
5e does this as well.

Fighter options - A two-fold problem. Giving fighters (and thieves) more to do at higher levels, and more interesting options than just extra attacks. In BD&D we did this via DM Fiat and stunting, but 4e did this elegantly by making combat more tactical, and giving minis a real purpose. Much fun.
5e does this as well. And in fact, one of the things I really liked about 4e was marking, as well as the Knight's Battle Guardian/Defender Aura. With the latest packet, marking is back, and the Knight's Defender class feature also hearkens back to the Defender Aura.

Expanding the "sweet spot". Once we'd done "zero to hero", we tended to start characters at higher levels to create the kind of cinematic fantasy heroics that drew us to D&D in the first place. This is baked right into the game in 4e.
This is baked into 5e as well, although in a slightly different manner than 4e.

Tiered play - I loved the distinct meta-levels of BECM: dungeon -> wilderness -> domains -> world. I'm happy to see a similar progression again in the core rules.
5e will also have this with Apprentice Tier, Adventurer Tier, and Legacy Tier.

And while I loved core 4e, I really love Essentials. Everything I loved about the core now tweaked even more to my taste! Plus, maps/tiles and tokens!
While I've had this sense from the first packet pregens, the character classes in the latest packet strike me as particularly Essentials-like.

Finally, the great thing about BD&D was the ease of set-up and prep for DMs. It was real easy to wing it. Now 4e has a similar ease to winging it, plus an easy system for creating accurately balanced (or unbalanced!) encounters or modifying modules. This was brought home to me when I set aside a good hour for reworking the sample dungeon in the Starter Set from 5 adventurers to only 2. In the end it only took me 20-30 minutes.
The essential structure of 4e encounter building is in 5e: XP budgeting to make balanced or unbalanced encounters/modify modules.

Now, I know there are some other features of 4e that are salient with other 4e fans, particularly those with bad experiences with 3e. There's the tight math, the AEDU system making sure people are essentially on the same page power level-wise, page 42, the ease of reskinning, keywords, a mode of play where powers give players narrative control, Pemertonian scene-framing, etc. I appreciate these features, but I don't require that they be present for my enjoyment. I enjoy 4e for the experience it gives me, but I'm not wedded to the specific mechanics. 5e gives me essentially the same experience, while also removing the things I didn't like about 4e; e.g., the long, involved, fiddly chargen, and sloggish combat in which enemy miniatures become Condition Christmas Trees.

Last edited:

scourger

Explorer
I got fatigued & stopped. I hope 5e (Next) will the One Game to Rule Them All, or at least The One Game That May Be Played By All; but I am not sure if it can live up to that billing. I was enjoying the nostalgia, but neither I or my group have the interest for such a long playtest. I look forward to seeing the final product and want it to do well.

Obryn

Hero
I have "arguing about elfgames on the internet" fatigue. Sadly, because of the nature of this playtest, that bleeds over into playtest fatigue. :)

However, this new packet is finally interesting enough to me to make me think about running a playtest session pretty soon. It's competing for time with a lot of other good games, though.

-O

Warbringer

Explorer
I have "arguing about elfgames on the internet" fatigue.
Boo ... boo on you for such silliness :)

However, this new packet is finally interesting enough to me to make me think about running a playtest session pretty soon. It's competing for time with a lot of other good games, though.
-O

That's really cool. Glad for you this version grabbed your attention!

Warbringer

Explorer
[MENTION=6680772]Iosue[/MENTION]

Thanks for the great response.

I agree there are some elements that reflect 4e and especially more so in the latest version and I expect we will see more from here out as we get closer to true "modules".

As far as page 42, the ease of reskinning, keywords, a mode of play where powers give players narrative control, Pemertonian scene-framing, with the exception of keywords, I think those are easily added through good modules or good natural DMing

Raith5

Adventurer
As far as page 42, the ease of reskinning, keywords, a mode of play where powers give players narrative control, Pemertonian scene-framing, with the exception of keywords, I think those are easily added through good modules or good natural DMing

I largely agree with this but the issue of giving players powers with narrative control required quite a lot of mechanics.

Personally I am not sure I can go back to a game that does not have powers controlled by the player - including utility powers. But I fully understand that such heavy mechanics is not everyone's cup of tea! Many - if not most- players prefer freestyle roleplaying with few skill check rather the heavy use of skill challenges social utility powers etc. Also in terms of pacing there seems to be radically different replenishing of resources amongst different classes - rather than rules for encounter powers or recharging of daily powers. I am still not completely sure how this type of game can be overlaid on DDN.

On a side note the thing I miss the most in DDN is the 4th ed system of the attacker rolling against various defenses like reflex, fortitude and will. I think this was a good unified system (which brought tactics into the mix in interesting ways) rather than a mixture of saves and attacks in DDN.

Warbringer

Explorer
[MENTION=56051]Raith5[/MENTION]

Ok, my optimism is misplaced :). The skill challenges loss and encounter vs. day pacing will create challenges that may not be bridged with modules. Inspiration gives some hope for token exchange for pacing control.

Re the vs. defenses, tbh, I think that was an option in UA 3e, but either way, we've been laying that since 2003 I think, we just call it Active Story so players roll all the dice vs target numbers. This an easy houserule :)

Sefotron

Doom of Player Characters
Me and mine never playtested. We have looked at every packet, but see nothing that trumps 4e for us, and didn't want to put any of our campaigns (I run three) on hold / less frequent play to give it a go. We have modified 4e quite heavily to bring in elements of earlier editions we loved, and at the moment, have a game system that 100% works for us.

We're really happy that 5e seems to be igniting some renewed enthusiasm for tabletop RPG's, but it will be the first edition ever we haven't embraced (although being a collector of D&D books since the first Red Box, I might pick up the core rules for my collection) :).

Obryn

Hero
Boo ... boo on you for such silliness :)

That's really cool. Glad for you this version grabbed your attention!
It's not really lighting my imagination on fire, mind you, but I'm a lot more optimistic than I was before.

It shows actual signs of risk-taking. That's good. And unexpected after the past few packets.

Remove ads