Playtest Feedback: Combat (session 3/25/14)

LucasC

First Post
Participants:
  • 4 PCs (new characters w/out any XP)
  • 5 enemies (relevant stats below)

Total Monster XP: 65
[h=3]Marine[/h]
Health: 18
Def 16 (SOAK 8); Mental-Def 16
  • Pulse rifle 4d6 (4d6 force, range 25)
  • Pulse Grenade 3d6 (3d6 force)
  • Two-Handed Sword 5d6 (5d6 cutting)
  • Combat Knife 3d6 (3d6 stabbing)
Str 4d6 Agi 2d6 End 4d6 Int 2d6 Wis 2d6 Cha 2d6 Luc 0 Psi 0

Environment
  • Zero-G
  • Enemies started the fight. They entered from the left side lift and were spread out using the lift, computer stations and floor grates to hide behind.

Here's a map.
the device.png

General Feedback
  • I forgot to time it, but I'm pretty sure the fight took about an hour, maybe a little longer
  • The PCs were never in any real danger. The lowest Defense score in the group was 20 and the highest 28. It was exceedingly difficult to actually hit them, although now, after the fact, I recall I should have tried using both aiming and crossfire to pump their attacks. Next time.
  • Out of all my attacks, I think I hit 3 times. I was attacking with 5 guys, sometimes twice a round.
  • The PCs actually missed quite a lot too, though not as much as I did.
  • I was generally happy w/the role that SOAK played in the encounter.
  • The Zero-G environment was interesting. People were flying around pretty regularly. As an occasional environmental hazard I kind of like it. Didn't hear any real complaining about the DCs and for those that couldn't make the Move DC they just used their gun to 'move' by shooting in the opposite direction.
  • The encounter had some variable terrain and it added nicely to the feel. Both the players and the monsters took advantage of some exploding terrain.
  • General feedback was that combat took too long and was sort of boring. That's one part us learning the rules, but they are not digging all the missing. I really do like the excellent benefits and penalties relating to mobility and positioning though and think that it brings a level of uniqueness to this game so as you approach this IMO don't let that element go.
  • In my three successful hits I did knock one PC unconscious. They took that opportunity to remind me how much they do not like permanent damage (the situation ultimately didn't result in permanent damage). Seems they really don't like that rule at all.
  • The fellow that went unconscious wanted to know if he could somehow stabilize himself. I didn't see anything, might have missed it. If there isn't, they think that there should be.
  • There was a feeling that the quality of cover should affect the pin-down rules
  • They all enjoyed the new Exploding Die rule and it came into account several times.
  • No one remembered to use LUCK but they do have a question about it - do you declare your LUCK dice before or after the roll? So, do I declare my attack, indicate I'm using 2 LUCK dice, and then roll to see if I hit or do I roll to see if I hit, come up a fail and then add another die for LUCK in?
  • The only player w/an opinion said he liked the LUCK rules as they are in the playtest document right now regarding # of dice-per-day and replenishment rates.
  • Does forced movement negate the defense penalties you suffer for not moving?

Psionic Questions / Feedback
  • In Zero-G does levitate allow movement in any direction?
  • Electrokonetic Blast seems to be a PSI vs. AGI roll. As it is a blast of lightning, shouldn't this be against my Defense which is already AGI based? As a side note, turning it into an opposed roll lowered my effective defense against this from 16 to 6 or 7. I have a suspicion this is going to make those psionic attacks that avoid defense (mental or physical) overly useful. More time w/this is needed to answer that though.

That's all for this time. Hope it's helpful.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
  • I forgot to time it, but I'm pretty sure the fight took about an hour, maybe a little longer
  • The PCs were never in any real danger. The lowest Defense score in the group was 20 and the highest 28. It was exceedingly difficult to actually hit them, although now, after the fact, I recall I should have tried using both aiming and crossfire to pump their attacks. Next time.
  • Out of all my attacks, I think I hit 3 times. I was attacking with 5 guys, sometimes twice a round.
  • The PCs actually missed quite a lot too, though not as much as I did.

DEFENSE is definitely getting a revision (likely to the system we discussed in the other thread)
  • No one remembered to use LUCK but they do have a question about it - do you declare your LUCK dice before or after the roll? So, do I declare my attack, indicate I'm using 2 LUCK dice, and then roll to see if I hit or do I roll to see if I hit, come up a fail and then add another die for LUCK in?

My intention was that you declare it beforehand.

• Does forced movement negate the defense penalties you suffer for not moving?

Yep, as long as it's 10'.

• In Zero-G does levitate allow movement in any direction?

Good question. I'd never considered that. I'd be inclined to allow a player to try it, and keep it if it doesn't seem to broken.
  • Electrokonetic Blast seems to be a PSI vs. AGI roll. As it is a blast of lightning, shouldn't this be against my Defense which is already AGI based? As a side note, turning it into an opposed roll lowered my effective defense against this from 16 to 6 or 7. I have a suspicion this is going to make those psionic attacks that avoid defense (mental or physical) overly useful. More time w/this is needed to answer that though.

Yeah, all those should be vs the derived defense. I'll whip through and clarify that!

That's all for this time. Hope it's helpful.

It is - thank you!

Remove ads