D&D (2024) Playtest: Is the Human Terrible?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Except for that whole “use this entire new list of feats” thing
That's in the Backgrounds, not the Races: the Races are all on the same footing, heck, the new Human is very close to being the Custom Lineage from Tasha's. And the Feat design math doesn't seem to be changed, either, other than the level gating.

glass

(he, him)
Which shifts do you mean? As far as I can tell the closest one is essentials, and even it isn’t the same thing.
The closest shift, based on the what we know at the moment, is 3.0 => 3.5 (or maybe 1e => 2e or B/X => BECMI but I am not sure of all the details of those changes).

4e Essentials is no more a shift from 4e than 5e Essentials is from 5e.

Considering we're nowhere close to the final form and nothing is yet set in stone... I'd say you're greatly jumping the gun in your estimate of things.
Nobody knows what the final form of the game will look like, so all we can judge is what they have presented so far. And based on that, it is looking to be 5.5.

So they want our "feelings" about no DM-side crits with a promise that it'll be compensated for somehow? Seriously?
It is like the DDN playtest all over again. Feel first and than maths later, as if maths does not effect feel.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The closest shift, based on the what we know at the moment, is 3.0 => 3.5 (or maybe 1e => 2e or B/X => BECMI but I am not sure of all the details of those changes).
I disagree, obviously.
4e Essentials is no more a shift from 4e than 5e Essentials is from 5e.
Do you mean the essentials kit? That is just a starter kit?

4e updated the rules, dramatically changed formatting and mechanical norms, and reimagined the classes.

And yet, it wasn’t an edition change. Just like this won’t be, judging by what we have seen this far.
Nobody knows what the final form of the game will look like, so all we can judge is what they have presented so far. And based on that, it is looking to be 5.5.
Well, based on how you’ve interpreted what we have seen so far.
It is like the DDN playtest all over again. Feel first and than maths later, as if maths does not effect feel.
They already know what the math is doing.

CrashFiend82

Explorer
What are the real question a here? Based on the Playtest so far... Can you play a 2014 and 2024 built character at the same table? Very likely with less "power" difference than a champion fighter and a min-max sorcadin at the same table. Can you mix and match 2014 and 2024 rules? Only by applying the sidebar. If you choose a race from 2014 you gain no ASI from Background. Can you use either in a previous adventure? Sure, and the monster encounter rules will be just as loose as they were with 2014 characters. Let's be real it's not like it was hard to build a group of characters that would run rough-shod over those adventures. They weren't built for power gamers but meant for more casual DMs (like me), that didn't give two hoots about "balance". Lastly is it hard to use Prof Bonus per Day along with Short Rest subclasses, well maybe annoying but totally doable. Will this change invalidate the core 2014, only if you choose to let it.

Remove ads