Please Help Me With Cleric Spell Choice

Bad Paper

First Post
Seans23 has a 16th level cleric of Fharlanghn in my campaign. For some reason I allowed him to take only one level of a (IMO) front-loaded prestige class (contemplative), and now he's running around with the Celerity, Luck, and Travel domains.

It is possible to kill him, but it's very very difficult. He moves damn fast, can't be grappled or hampered, and gets that daily reroll (which still failed against that death slaad's implosion :] ). Give him a few rounds of buffing, and he's an absolute monster with a quarterstaff.

seans23

First Post
Bad Paper said:
Seans23 has a 16th level cleric of Fharlanghn in my campaign.

Ahh but failing the save against implosion twice was actually a gift from The Dweller on the Horizon, because now I'm an orc! +4 strength with no int/wis/cha loss. Plus Darkvision! Woohoo! I can travel at night, and further appreciate Fharlanghn's brother's handiwork. You gotta love Fharlanghn!

Also, You forgot to whine about Divine Metamagic (Maximize) and my Quicken Metamagic Rod (lesser).

We need to play SOON so I can learn 9th level spells and drop miracles left and right. Bring on the Wu Jen spells!

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
If you want to do the whole Strength domain thing, ... Righteous Might + your domain power + Power attack = very nice full attack.

drdevoid

Explorer
Amazing Triangle said:
... Personally I have moved to the Luck domain, but both Time and Travel have the same 4th level spell as Luck (Freedom of Movement). As I can't much see myself using it other than on rare occasions I tought that having another domain spell to choose from would be good. Am I wrong in this? Is Freedom of Movement really that awesome of a spell?

Luck and Travel is generally considered the best two domain combo from the core rules. Also it's somewhat par for the course to have an overlap between your two domain lists. The more you avoid that, the more likely your granted powers will be less desirable.

Another reason you might want to be able to cast "Freedom of Movement" would be for another party member. Normally that's the party rogue or an arcane caster that, for whatever reason, cannot cast teleportation magic. Sometimes it's good for the fighter too.

Remember that you can put a lower level spell in a higher level slot, a good example would be "Fly." A spell that can be ideal for multiple preparations. Also don't forget any metamagic feats for your domain slots. A quickened X at high levels is fun trick to have up your sleeve.

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Well with everyones imput I have created this:
Cleric 10/Conteplative 7
Str 12
Dex 10
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 16

Feats: Combat Casting, Maximize, Augment Healing, Divine Spell Power, Extra Turning, Divine Metamagic (Maximize)

Domain spells:
1-Entropic Shield
2-Shield Other
3-Haste
4-Spell Immunity
5-Spell Resistance
6-Anti-Magic Field
7-Spell Turning
8-Mind Blank
9-Miracle (or Time Stop)

Notes: Combat Casting is on the fence; if anyone can give a better feat I would be happy to switch it. Please give a good reason.

seans23

First Post
Amazing Triangle said:
Notes: Combat Casting is on the fence; if anyone can give a better feat I would be happy to switch it. Please give a good reason.

Lightning reflexes. You need the Reflex save boost.
Or maybe a crafting feat? Craft Wand? Scribe Scroll?

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Well luck was a great domain until the DM nerfed it by disallowing Miracle and the reroll :(

So now I am looking for a good domain to go with War, Time, and Travel. So lets get 3 that you think you would fit with a character that is a wandering wise spouter

Remove ads