• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plus Race and Size for Hit Points

Ancient Gamer

First Post
Hey all, some constructive criticism on this please, feel free to adapt it for your games. Mainly it's a players way to stay in action a little longer... during his begining moments It's not very original, I know, but it may be a good consideration for 5th Ed D&D next year (dripping sarcasium :D ). My personal opinion is that race and size should be apart of the hp process, not just based of off class and constitution.

Also, if anyone is interested I have some rules for Armour Points, totally seperate, but rules that reflect wear, tear, and combat on armour.

:cool: I welcome kind words of wisdom, please...

Thanks,

P.

Race & Size Hit Point Adjustments

This house rule incorporates a one time application of a player character’s hit point adjustment to reflect the chosen race and size of the player character.

Race Table

Race HP adj.
Halfling, Stout +2
Halfling, Hairfoot +2
Halfling, Tall fellow +3
Gnome, Hill +3
Gnome, Wood +2
Dwarf, Hill +3
Dwarf, Mountain +4
Elf, High +5
Elf, Grey +4
Elf, Wood +4
½ Orc +5
Human, Oerth +5

Size Table

Size HP adj
Less than 100lbs + 1
101 – 150 lbs + 2
151 – 200 lbs + 3
201 – 250 lbs + 4
251 – 300 lbs + 5
301 – 350 lbs + 6
+ 50 lbs = +1 H.P. Max.+10

Example:
A dwarf, mountain, fighter (1st level), weight: 205 lbs, 12 Constitution
+4 +10 (max class hp) +4 +1

Total H.P. for a 1st level mountain dwarf fighter is: 19 h.p.

:D

DWARF

First Post
[background]I play in Ancient_Gamers game[/background]

You going to use this retroactively? :)
That'd give Ulf an extra 9 or 10 hp's. That'd be nice!

Overall, I like the system. My solution was never to run games from level 1, just start at 3 or 4. Increases survivability at a VERY tricky place to balance things. This is another good way of fixing that problem.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
As posted in the other thread, I like the idea behind it, though I use a simpler system for my games. PCs get bonus HP based on their race, while monsters get extra HP based on race or size.

Here's my chart:

Gnome 2 hp (homebrew Tiny variant)
Halfling 4 hp
Elf 6 hp
Dwarf, Human, Half-elf, Half-orc 8 hp
Aasimar, Tiefling 10 hp (ECL +1 races)

These bonus HP replace the "Max HP on 1st HD" rule that made 1st level survivable -- PCs roll all HD.

Yes, this means that a 1st level Dwarf Wizard is probably going to be tougher than a 1st level Halfling Fighter. That's just fine -- the class levels will quickly eclipse the difference in race, but not immediately.

-- Nifft

Remove ads