pneumatik's WotBS 1 - The Scouring of Gate Pass

Rhun

First Post
Hollister raises an eyebrow at the accusation. "I have done more to defend this city than any of you," he replies cooly. Then, without further words, the wizard turns and heads to the main doors.

Arkhandus

First Post
Liiros leaves the corpse of the Ragessian alone after dragging it into place, except for the soldier's short sword - he checked it briefly, and the silvered edge might prove useful should the insane Ragessians summon any demons later, Liiros thinks. So he removes the blade, scabbard and all, and slips the scabbard through his own belt for now, then follows the others to Gabal's School.

There he waits for the others, obviously more familiar with Gate Pass and the School than he, to find them a way in or something. But when the crowd starts hurling accusations and insults at Hollister, the well-armored elf steps up to guard the wizard and clear a path for him to the front gates.

"This man fought beside us against the Scourge's first wave. Do not insult his valor! Did any of you confront the Scourge unarmed and unarmored?! He did! Magic is a fine tool, but it is not always the answer! I don't know how human gods treat the cowardly, but Corellon would be ashamed of any elf who shunned battle only to insult those who fought for freedom! It is not Gabal who failed you! It is your cowardly leaders in the Council!" the elf shouts back at the crowd.

(OOC: Diplomacy or Intimidate +5, for 25!)
1d20+5=25

Last edited:

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Hollister and Korrin manage to get the protesters to pause and consider that the party actually have fought the Scourge. This gives Liiros a chance to make a much stronger argument, so to speak.

As the protesters move aside and let the party go through, a man steps out from behind a building inside the school grounds, on the other side of the gate. With a paunch and a prematurely receding hairline this blue-robed wizard possesses a simple obvious friendliness. Hollister recognizes him as Diogenes, a fellow wizard and Resistance sympathizer from Gabal's school.

"Oh, thank Cuthbert you made it back, Hollister," Diogenes says. "After we got split up last night, I was afraid the Scourge had gotten you. Come in, come in, and bring your friends."

One of the protesters recovers his wits and says to Diogenes, "He might've fought," pointing at Hollister, "but you wizards in the school didn't." A number of protesters grumble in agreement.

"Actually, most of the wizards at Gabal's school fought," Diogenese says as he reaches the gate. "We hoped it would embarrass Gabal into fighting, but no luck. You'd think a wizard as powerful as Gabal would have used his powers to protect the city, but I guess he wimped out." He touches the lock in the middle of the front gate and concentrates. The gate unlocks and Diogenes motions the party to enter.

Once the party is inside Diogenes quickly relocks the gate. "Now, y'all stay out here and keep up the good work," he says to the protesters. "Hopefully you'll at least make Gabal feel bad." He then leads the party into the school grounds, saying, "You must be hungry. Let's head over the kitchen and grab some chow."

You cross school grounds and enter the main kitchen for the school. It's empty, and there are only dying embers on its large hearths. "Now, you're certainly welcome to eat whatever you want," Diogenes says, "but I really brought you hear so we could talk. Hollister, since you're in the city I can only assume you had ... problems." He eyes the rest of the party suspiciously. "Tell me about your friends, and what I can do to help you."

Rhun

First Post
"Where to begin?" Hollister ponders a moment as they enter the main kitchen of the school. He moves to place a kettle of water above the embers, so that he might make some tea, rekindling the embers with a flash of fire from his hand. "These are some of those I met at the Poisoned Apple, Diogenes." Hollister goes on to explain the situation to the other wizard. "So our quarry is here at the School, and we must find him."

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
While Hollister talks Diogenes gets out some bread and cheese to eat. At least he's hungry. "Hmmm ..." Diogenes says when Hollister's finished. "Well, that ball of light you fought sounds like a lantern archon. I say that because another student here has one for a familiar, a female elf named Shealis Amlauril. She's the only elf still at the school, I think. Late last night I noticed her familiar and another elf who looked like he could be the same one you fought leaving her room. And I've noticed that she's been slowly packing her stuff up, so she could be ready skip town now."

"Elves in Gate Pass are pretty tight, so even if Shealis doesn't know where the case that you're looking for is she should know someone who does. If you decide to jump her and beat the information out of her be careful: she can cast spells of the third level. She's an evoker, though, so if you can tough-out her attacks you should be able to take her. She's not big on 'game-over' spells. Well, other than fireball."

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
"Assuming she is in here room, she would ve follish to throw a fireball. There could be considerable backlash." Hollister looks to his companions. "We should move quickly and try to gain surprise, before she realizes we are here."

renau1g

First Post
Korrin quietly waits and will follow Hollister's lead, his knowledge of magic very limited, although he was glad for his intese training in the heat of summer to be able to withstand some of a fire's effect.

Arkhandus

First Post
"Indeed.....we must stop her and the other traitorous elf before they cause further trouble for the Resistance.... To think! My kinsmen assisting tyrants! They shame glorious Corellon, and I cannot stand for that!" the elven warrior exclaims.

"Korrin, you seem the most talented in stealth. Please go ahead of us and rush the woman before she can cast any spells. Try not to strike her fatally, but don't worry about lesser flesh wounds. If she dies for supporting a tyrant, Corellon will not weep much, except for the loss of her elven dignity as He must already be lamenting. We will rush to your aid as soon as we hear the fight begin. I am afraid that my armor is too much an impediment to stealth, and she would hear my approach well in advance if I were to take the lead," Liiros says.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"Before you hammer out any battle plans, let me explain the lay of the land. Well, so to speak," Diogenes says. He takes a knife and starts scoring the block of cheese with a crude map.

"We're in the dormitory building. The building itself is a long one-story rectangle with the kitchen at the back. At the front there's a good sized sitting room. Connecting the two is a long central hallway, I'd guess it's almost 100 feet long and five feet wide. On either side of the hallway are dorm rooms. They're all the same size, maybe 10 by 15 feet."

"Shealis' room is here. Students are always walking through the central hallway to get to a dorm room, the kitchen, or the sitting area, so most people keep their doors closed all the time. I don't know about Shealis, but I ignore any noise from the hallway."

"Most of the dorm rooms are empty. Three or four near the front have new students in them. Mine's near the kitchen." He pats his belly conspicuously. "The only other occupied room should be Shealis'."

[sblock=OOC]Attached is a map I hacked together. You're all in the kitchen with Diogenes. "SA's room" is Shealis Amlauril's room.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Gabal's school - dorm map.JPG
    Gabal's school - dorm map.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 67

Remove ads