• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Podcast 20

HeinorNY

First Post
-wizard choosing spells after resting is an exception
-damage dice from weapons scales up character's lvl
-skills compressed, more than one skill to get past an obstacle/trap
-multiclassing less flexible

still listening.

Rechan

Adventurer
Standard weapon proficiencies give a +2 to attack. A few (like swords) give a +3, while other weapons give less accuracy but more damage.

Less of a broad range of numbers to roll for a crit (19-20 for a few weapons), but more abilities that are triggered ON a critical.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
I like the bit at the very end, that player skill comes in choosing the right tactics at the table rather than coming up with a great 'build'.

The most interesting part of the game should not be creating a character by drawing from fifty splatbooks.

neceros

Adventurer
Wolfwood2 said:
I like the bit at the very end, that player skill comes in choosing the right tactics at the table rather than coming up with a great 'build'.

The most interesting part of the game should not be creating a character by drawing from fifty splatbooks.
While, i'll agree that it shouldn't be the most important aspect, it is one of my favorite parts! I just like creating individual, powerful beings.

Stalker0

Legend
Rechan said:
Standard weapon proficiencies give a +2 to attack. A few (like swords) give a +3, while other weapons give less accuracy but more damage.

Less of a broad range of numbers to roll for a crit (19-20 for a few weapons), but more abilities that are triggered ON a critical.

With the fact that you gain bonus to damage as you level and your powers often depending on if you hit or not, I'm worried that every fighter is going to pull out his trusty dagger in every fight. Who cares about 1d4 vs 1d8, a +1 to attack is big when I'm adding a +5 to damage for my 10th level and my big fighter power needs to hit.

EvolutionKB

First Post
In the podcast they did mention that as you level dice were added, not a static bonus. That makes sense with the format we saw earlier ( 2[W] ) for the pally stuff. A high level fighters everyday longsword in his hands might do 3d8 instead of 1d8. More than likely all the stuff on the sheets were precalculated for ease of use for new players.

For those per day powers, hopefully a lot of them have that clause that says that if you miss, you don't expend it's usage for the day.

neceros

Adventurer
Correct. 2[w] means 2dwhatever, so far as I can see.

My problem with the design, though, is that a sword in the hands of a 15th level fighter will naturally be more deadly then a novice no matter if he's using a technique or not. I believe the base damage for the weapon should scale, not just the power damage.

Small gripe.

hong

WotC's bitch
neceros said:
While, i'll agree that it shouldn't be the most important aspect, it is one of my favorite parts! I just like creating individual, powerful beings.
Rest assured, 8 years into 4E you will have fifty splatbooks to draw upon when building a character.

hong

WotC's bitch
neceros said:
Correct. 2[w] means 2dwhatever, so far as I can see.

My problem with the design, though, is that a sword in the hands of a 15th level fighter will naturally be more deadly then a novice no matter if he's using a technique or not. I believe the base damage for the weapon should scale, not just the power damage.

Small gripe.
That would be where the 15th level powers come in. Auto-attacking seems to be very much a last resort now.

Remove ads