• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm glad you'd have fun playing Joe the Janitor. Honest. Personally I'd rather play someone heroic. Because, you know, it's a game. To each his own.

The real heroes are the ones who are weak and scared, but do the job anyway. You aren't really a hero if you're strong and it's easy.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
But then he'll just end up punching his computer screen in the face; and that'll get expensive after a while. :)

In my game the third stat is Wisdom, and Wisdom 7 characters are THE BEST!

Lanefan

LOL

Ah, wisdom... it's such an elusive stat. I like to think that I'm slightly wiser than average (say, a 12?) but I really have *no idea at all*. I could be a very wise man, or I could be a fool.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
The RC had that system. From memory, stats couldn't be reduced below 9 and only certain stats could be reduced. You'd have to have a decent prime requisite or rolled really well in the stats you could reduce to bump your prime up to an 18.

Yep. You can raise your prime ability score, but you cannot lower Dex, Con, or Cha at all, and Str, Int, or Wis cannot be reduced below 9.

thorgrit

Explorer
If I get a group of players that likes rolled stats (my main group likes point buy), then what I like to do is let each of them them roll a set of ability scores while I watch, write them down on a card, and let players use any array they want. One player may want a trio of 15s rolled, another may take one that has an 18 but second highest is 12. Since each player got to roll once, it satisfies that itch, and if they roll poorly it's ok because others will roll better, and it keeps them on even enough footing. I say I'll even use the arrays myself for custom monsters or other foes.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Then why are you using a chargen system that produces, consistently, strong characters where it's easy?

D&D has been easy for 3 editions now. I've had fewer characters die since 3e began than died in either 1e or 2e. That includes PCs with poorly rolled stats.

Hussar

Legend
D&D has been easy for 3 editions now. I've had fewer characters die since 3e began than died in either 1e or 2e. That includes PCs with poorly rolled stats.

Heh. It's funny how experiences differ. I whacked SO many 3e PC's. To the point where I found it difficult not to kill PC's.

2e we almost never died at all. PC's were just so much more powerful than the monsters by that point that you could lay waste to armies with 2e PC's.

At least, that was my experience.

Li Shenron

Legend
How should this be handled?

Given your case, you should definitely remove randomness from character generation...

I prefer "standard array" because I mostly play with beginners or casual gamers, and "point buy" usually takes too much time for them, but is otherwise good for experienced players who already know what they want.

Stormdale

Explorer
We always use 4d6-lowest , arrange to suit (I have done since introduced to AD&D back in 1983). We roll in front of the group. Occasionally I allow a reroll of 1 or very rarely 2 stats if really bad. I still prefer there be at least 2x 15s or higher (one race bonuses are added) even though stat bonuses kick in much lower now. We've tried the standard array and point buy but my players didn't like them and prefer the randomnesss of the dice.

Stormdale

sim-h

Explorer
Back in the 'old days' I always used to have players roll stats (with me present), but it provides such randomness and inconsistent power ranges within the group that I now agree with the camp that say it detracts from the fun. In my current campaign the Druid rolled so high he was using scores of 11 in his 'dump' stats. At Level 7 he now has 20 Wisdom, 18 Constitution, 16 Charisma and 14 Dex.

In other cases I had to allow players to reroll scores of 6 and 7 in multiple abilities. In fact I switched to standard array when a player re-rolling a new character after losing the previous one, rolled so low I pitied him and allowed him to 'redo' the character using standard array.

So yeah, that or point buy, which allows better optimisation for those that are annoyed by scores of 9 and 11 and want two 10s instead

Although one player in my current group dared to take 8 Con. As a rogue he gets away with his 31 HPs at level 7...just about - although he's usually on a knife edge. Took him a while (and a Raise Dead) to fully understand the utility of Cunning Action.

Remove ads