• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
\
Remember, in 5e, it is not possible, using point buy, to have a stat over 15. 16+ is superhuman for a 1st level character. You're claiming that it's realistic for nearly every single PC to be superhuman. It's pretty unlikely you'll get no rolls above a 15 with your rolling system.

You got it bass ackwards there. Remember, in 5e rolling is the default, so not only is 18 not superhuman, but point buy is gimping yourself.

In a human village of 300, there will be 28, count them 28 people running around with a 19 starting stat, and 90 people with 18s. More than a third will have an 18 or 19, and those are the COMMONERS. Odds are that at least one will have 2 18+ stats.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You got it bass ackwards there. Remember, in 5e rolling is the default, so not only is 18 not superhuman, but point buy is gimping yourself.
Ah, but in array-land everyone's gimped equally. :)

In a human village of 300, there will be 28, count them 28 people running around with a 19 starting stat, and 90 people with 18s. More than a third will have an 18 or 19, and those are the COMMONERS. Odds are that at least one will have 2 18+ stats.
Er...while I appreciate the idea, I think you're being a bit generous to those villagers. :)

By my rough math if the 300 villagers are rolled using 3d6 (which by tradition if nothing else is the norm for commoners) you'll have 1 or maybe 2 natural 18s and about the same number of 3s. I think (I'm no mathmologist) you'll have about 6 natural 17s and a roughly equal number of 4s. The average of all their cumulative stats will (or should) be pretty much bang on 10.5.

Now if you're rolling these villagers' stats using PC rules (4d6k3, or 5d6k3, or whatever) then you're beyond the scope of my arithmetic prowess to figure out how many 18s or 3s you'd have.

Lanefan

Wulffolk

Explorer
After reading the entire previous thread on this very same topic just a couple of months ago, i just couldn't force myself to read every post of this new thread. I am an old-school player that prefers the feel of rolled stats. That being said, i will once more offer my solution:

A- Roll 2d6+4. This results in stats between 6-16 with an average of 11.
B- Roll 3d6 and replace lowest die with a 4 (even if the lowest die is a 5 or 6), for when you want a more heroic feel with slightly higher stats, but still limited to 6-16

I encourage players to use rolls in order, but I do allow them to arrange to their concept if it is really important to them. If a player insists that they just can't create an interesting character with the stats they rolled and they would rather sit out than play those stats, then I might be moved by compassion to allow them one chance to re-roll. I would rather a player has fun than force something that would ruin the game for them or cause them to quit.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend

And there, boys and girls is exactly my point. :D Has nothing to do with "realism" or anything like that and everything to do with beating the odds.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Just thinking about point buy, if someone want to extend the range all the way to 18, I'd be happy to oblige. Want your half-orc to start with a 20 strength, go for it. I'm not sure I'd increase the number of points players get but I'm okay with them starting out with an 18+ in a stat. I probably wouldn't even increase the cost to buy scores above 15, just keep it at 2 per ability point. Might also allow a drop in the scores as well. Go down to a 6 to get one more point elsewhere.

Lanliss

Explorer
Just thinking about point buy, if someone want to extend the range all the way to 18, I'd be happy to oblige. Want your half-orc to start with a 20 strength, go for it. I'm not sure I'd increase the number of points players get but I'm okay with them starting out with an 18+ in a stat. I probably wouldn't even increase the cost to buy scores above 15, just keep it at 2 per ability point. Might also allow a drop in the scores as well. Go down to a 6 to get one more point elsewhere.

I already allow this, but no one has taken it yet. My players prefer more average people.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Actually, it's 8-15, since no stat before racial adjustments can be above 15. But, it's still a bell curve.

Remember, in 5e, it is not possible, using point buy, to have a stat over 15. 16+ is superhuman for a 1st level character. You're claiming that it's realistic for nearly every single PC to be superhuman. It's pretty unlikely you'll get no rolls above a 15 with your rolling system.

And that's somehow more realistic?

That is 100% incorrect as I pointed out. The fact that you choose to use one of the systems that doesn't allow you to have a 16+ does not alter the meaning of a 16+. In the game, 18 is the pinnacle of normal human capability, not superhuman. That starts at 19. That hasn't changed since the game was first published.

I have no idea what type of curve is created by the relationship of the stats as a whole (rolled or otherwise). However, when referring to a bell curve, we're talking about the probability of a given number when you roll the dice. 3d6 produces a bell curve. In the standard array, I don't think there is any curve. The number is what it is. In point buy, it would be linear. You have several options, and each number has an equal chance. Once you've chosen the first ability, the next ability has a narrower range of numbers available, but the possibility of any of those numbers being selected is still equal, it's still a linear progression. The cost is different for higher numbers, but that doesn't alter the fact that any of the numbers within the range are equally possible.

Minimum 8th level character, so, we're talking a tiny, tiny fraction of the game world. Also irrelevant for a conversation about chargen since we generally don't start at 8th level. But, as I said earlier, if you let me use standard array and then hand me two free ASI's, I'd be fine.

But no, it's not a tiny fraction of the game world. RAW, it's achievable by every single person in the world within a matter of days. If two 18s is unacceptable for a 1st level person at age 20, then it should be unacceptable for an 8th level person at age 20 and 15 days. The speed at which people can gain ASIs is very, very fast in 5e in relation to the game world. I certainly think that it's much more believable to have two 18s by 1st level that has been developed over 20 years of life (or more in the case of non-humans), than it is to go from 16 to 20 in less than a month. As you said, we're talking D&D, and them's the rules.

When discussing the "realism" of multiple people having multiple high scores, it's a question of whether each character created can achieve it. The 8th level limit applies equally across the board, regardless of the method of generation. By standard array, every single character starts with a 15 and a 14, and they gain at least a +1 for two stats due to racial bonuses. Thus, it's possible (even likely) for every single standard array character to have two 18s by 8th level, as early as 6th for a non-human fighter.

With dice rolling, it's possible (and even probable) that some will not.

To put it a different way, there is a percentage of rolled characters (20%? Somebody better at math will have to figure that out) that will not have a 14 and a 15 (or higher) as their two highest scores. Some will have no scores above 14, some will have no scores above 13. This is the result of the bell curve. It is impossible for a character with no score over 13 to have the same result as the standard array, they can't gain two scores of 18 by their third ASI.

With point buy, that's theoretically the same, but when have you not seen a point buy that people selected the maximum allowable for their two most important stats.

Hang on. I never said ANYTHING about it being a "horrible preference". If that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. Just don't pretend that it's something it's not. If you want to completely rewrite the game and then try to use your game as a talking point, it's pretty difficult since I don't play your game and you don't play mine. Frankly, I don't want to talk about your game, I don't care. I want to talk about D&D.

But, in any case it's not a horrible preference. It's simply that trying to rationalize it as somehow "realistic" is what I'm arguing against. It's not realistic. There's a reason that virtually no sim-based games use random stat generation. If it really was realistic, don't you think games like GURPS would be using it?

No, you didn't, and I wasn't implying you did. Just joking around, as I (and others) have the tendency to get a little too serious sometimes...It's not directed to you, or really anybody, just an acknowledgement that we have different priorities.

However, being "realistic" is a number of different things. To somebody like me, it's not having full control of the stats you were born with. That something like GURPS took a different direction means literally nothing in that regard. The process itself, which I have pointed out, is irrelevant. It's the probabilities/results that the process produces that would matter if, in fact, you were trying to be more "realistic."

Having said that, I do think that to produce "realistic" results, it would require random determination of some sort, and an ability to be outside the statistical norm. Everybody in the entire world having the same base number is most definitely not realistic. But "realism" isn't my core goal. I laid out our goals pretty thoroughly, and while one of those goals is to set in-world baselines and help with consistency (which is different from everybody having the same base number, and cannot be reached via a standard array), we developed a system to meet those goals. While this does bear a relationship to "realism" it's not the same.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That is 100% incorrect as I pointed out. The fact that you choose to use one of the systems that doesn't allow you to have a 16+ does not alter the meaning of a 16+. In the game, 18 is the pinnacle of normal human capability, not superhuman. That starts at 19. That hasn't changed since the game was first published.
I don't know about that...I mean, the difference between an 18 and 19 in game terms is almost zero. They have the same modifier. Also, even if we consider using the game dice to model the population (and I've been long been antagonistic to using the game rules as a world simulator), a 5e human would get a +1 to all stats, so 19s would not be unheard of even within a 3d6 population.

Since a 1st level 20 is impossible for humans (assuming standard 5e human, not VHuman) but not for other races, the 19-20 barrier might be a better tipping point for the barrier between "natural" and preternatural/supernatural.

Rolling Stat or Point Buy is a game mechanic used for Players.
Dont try to do Population Simulation based on this.

A commoner have stats around 10. Period.
A soldier may have a better strength, so around 14.
An NPC adventurer or important NPC should be more or less equals to players, so he may have stats according to that.

If you need a significant NPC, the DM may use any method, including assigning stats on the fly without rolling.

Yardiff

Adventurer
But yours certainly will. 5d6 drop 2, 4d6 drop 1 and 3d6, with the ability to swap rolls is pretty much guaranteed to result in higher than standard characters. Even 4d6 drop 1 averages higher and yours is a LOT more generous than that.

As far as the 18 Str, 18 Int guy goes, yeah, I'm struggling to think of a historical figure that is as smart as Einstein (note, the MAXIMUM human Int at 1st level is 16, so, yeah, your character is smarter than Einstein) AND is stronger than the strongest of humans.

So, no, I don't think die rolling somehow increases realism. I'd actually say it goes very much the other way, because you wind up with ludicrous results like an 18 Str, 4 Con character. What does that even look like? I'm super strong, as strong as the strongest human ever can be, but I get winded walking up a single flight of stairs? Huh?

Dolph Lundgren

Remove ads