D&D 5E Polearm Master feat...where's my spear?

random.brown

First Post
The Polearm Master feat (Phb pg 168) applies when using a quarterstaff, but not a spear?

As DM for my group (consisting of my kids, ages 16 to 10), I'm house ruling this to allow spears.

What possible explanation is there for this oversight?

A spear is a thrusting weapon, and the feat in question involves swinging the weapon (in order to bludgeon with the off-hand). You're not supposed to swing a spear in that manner.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
A spear is a thrusting weapon, and the feat in question involves swinging the weapon (in order to bludgeon with the off-hand). You're not supposed to swing a spear in that manner.
This guy begs to differ.

oberyn_vs__the_mountain_by_maeyasun-d7l3z8n.jpg
Deviant art image by maeyasun.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Given the base d6 damage on the 5E spear, I think it's meant as a fairly small weapon that you might not be able to bludgeon effectively with.

That being said, I can't think of a reason not to house rule otherwise if you think your players will want to use the spear with that feat.

Gamgee

First Post
Naginata (spear type weapon) get's owned here too. Like they really did in single combat. You would be a fool to use them. Wood vs Metal. It's no less silly than bringing a knife to a gunfight and expecting to do any better.

Now the difference is en mass the spear had a decided edge in combat to it, and it was easy to train in. However it was at a decided disadvantage in a duel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQWcB1vXXg

My philosophy to fighting is very sensible. Funny enough Bronn here has a vague resemblance to my dad who is also quite the combat pragmatist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN30YMzja6Y

variant

Adventurer
I think the spear suffers the same thing other weapons suffer when you can only put one type in the book. There are a lot of different types of spears of varying lengths with different points or blades.

I would probably house rule it as even a smaller spear can be technically a polearm, but I would keep an eye out to any issues that come into play combining that feat with a throwing weapon. I haven't read the feat, so I don't know if there would be or not.

Another option is to introduce martial proficiency spears into your game that can be used with the feat. I know I will be allowing much more combat oriented spears that are martial weapons.

Last edited:

A pike is basically a long spear, and there's nothing in 5e about reach weapons having penalties to attack when the enemy is adjacent. I realize it's not accurate to the way pikes were used historically, but mechanically, it really can double as a spear.

variant

Adventurer
A pike is basically a long spear, and there's nothing in 5e about reach weapons having penalties to attack when the enemy is adjacent. I realize it's not accurate to the way pikes were used historically, but mechanically, it really can double as a spear.

It is a spear, just not what most people think of when they hear spear. A trident is a type of spear as well.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I'm one of those who didn't have any problem with AD&D having a bunch of specific polearms. Instead, I didn't understand why didn't we get as many kind of specific swords. Why did we get only general short sword, longsword, when we could get claymore, zweihander, flamberge, gladius, etc.?

Remove ads