D&D 5E Polearm Master Feat

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
That's exactly how you use a halberd. And a pike is normally about 15 feet in length.

My problem is I wanted a longspear fighter like Oberyn Martell. I had to refluff a pike for that. And it's AL, so I can't refluff the feat to allow me to use the longspear because it's mechanically a pike.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Couldn't you write "Halberd" on your character sheet but call it a spear? I guess you have slashing rather than piercing damage, but it's pretty uncommon that matters.

LapBandit

First Post
It's hilarious that they don't allow the pike but it STILL has a 10ft reach and is super heavy. Which is it WotC? Super heavy with more reach than a halberd or just a long spear that shouldn't weight any more (and probability less) than a halberd with the same reach? Any reasonable human being will just let you use halberd stats with piercing and the feat.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Thanks for the replies y'all, especially Jaelis for the SA link. I can now OFFICIALLY nominate the Pike as the worst RAW weapon in the PHB...not to mention the UA Spear Master Feat, which brings the spear some meatiness and again leaves the Pike behind...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies y'all, especially Jaelis for the SA link. I can now OFFICIALLY nominate the Pike as the worst RAW weapon in the PHB...not to mention the UA Spear Master Feat, which brings the spear some meatiness and again leaves the Pike behind...

At least the pike falls short in games with feats, which are optional.

Take a close look at the net. With a normal range of 5 feet all attacks beyond 5 feet are made with disadvantage. But it's also a ranged weapon so any attacks made within 5 feet are made with disadvantage.

I think the trident is also in the running for the dubious honour.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

Nah trident is worse.

Espcially tridents wielded by ninja posters!

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Yeah, I guess the trident DOES deserve mention. Man, what's WotC's beef with polearms? Is this backlash against the those massive polearm lists from 2E?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am constantly reminded that most game designers know very little about Martial Combat... And that's okay - but they should be careful not to make rules based on only a little knowledge.

For example, the number of times one could thrust the end of a spear or a pike at someone when compared to "flipping a halberd around and hitting the same person with the butt-end"

These two things do not compare with the halberd coming out on top.

That said, it is pretty reasonable to imagine slicing someone both forward and back with a halberd, which is how I would view the feat working. (But then it ought to do slashing damage).

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads