D&D 5E Polearm Master Feat

Horwath

Legend
Only to play Devils Advocate here because I know you're literally correct on the length of the Pike in historical terms, but in 5E D&D it's technically 10'. So why the ridiculous weight and PM omission?! I request answers, damnit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they think that wood axe is a good weapon,

I mean Krusk ffs:

Krusk_1092441038.jpg

that is NOT a weapon. that is a lump of iron on a wooden stick.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Only to play Devils Advocate here because I know you're literally correct on the length of the Pike in historical terms, but in 5E D&D it's technically 10'.

No, it isn't.

The effective attacking range of the pike is 10 feet. There is no stated length for the pike- or any other weapon, far as I've seen.

Only to play Devils Advocate here because I know you're literally correct on the length of the Pike in historical terms, but in 5E D&D it's technically 10'. So why the ridiculous weight and PM omission?! I request answers, damnit!!
Pike has a reach of 10ft, but you don't hold it right at the end if you're actually trying to fight with it. (As opposed to just bracing it in a mass-combat formation.)
I generally regard the 5e pike as the longspear however.

Regarding the weight, I seem to remember a comment about weights of items also including a factor based on general encumbrance, with bulky/harder to carry items being given a higher weight in the book than their actual mass would warrant due to the difficulty in handling/carrying them.

Couldn't say whether this is the case in 5th edition though.

thethain

First Post
Why do you think the D&D spear is the same length as a staff? It does, after all, weigh 3/4 that of a staff.

Looking at the weights of the weapons, I think the spear in the weapon table is 2 to 3 feet long, something more like an assegai than a boar spear. Or, to put it another way, a spear (3lb) is just a club (2lb) with a dagger (1lb) on the end.

Because 3.5e and 4e had a comparison image of all weapons. Both represented "Spear" and "Shortspear" respectively almost identically in length with a quarterstaff. 5e declined to offer the same table,

The quiver of Ehlogna can hold 6 long objects, such as Bows, Quarterstaffs or spears.

The Rod of Lordly Might specifically states it is a spear with a 6 foot haft. It uses the spears mechanics.

Also spears are versatile, and not light, indicating they are heavy enough to use an extra hand.

Finally, the spear is distinct from the Javelin, which is what most people would call a really short spear such as your describing if they had to pick an item from the 5e list.

If you want to argue for balance or because you would be mainly thrusting with a spear so a swingback attack doesn't make sense that is fine. But "spear" in 5e is what 95% of people think of when they think "A fantasy character holding a spear" Which is probably something big enough that they can lean on, and not a 2 foot stick with a pole. The weight is likely as low as it is because of holdover from old editions or because it is also a throwing weapon.

Kalshane

First Post
Pike has a reach of 10ft, but you don't hold it right at the end if you're actually trying to fight with it. (As opposed to just bracing it in a mass-combat formation.)
I generally regard the 5e pike as the longspear however.

Regarding the weight, I seem to remember a comment about weights of items also including a factor based on general encumbrance, with bulky/harder to carry items being given a higher weight in the book than their actual mass would warrant due to the difficulty in handling/carrying them.

Couldn't say whether this is the case in 5th edition though.

I've always treated the weights listed in the PHB as "encumbrance weight", taking into account how awkward the item is to carry as well as any necessary scabbards/sheathes/straps/etc for actually transporting the item when not in use.

guachi

Hero
I was watching a YouTube video of people fighting with halberds and was surprised to see they would often hold the halberd over their heads butt first to facilitate an overhead swing (like you were chopping wood) so I can see how it would be easy to use the blunt end to strike someone.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I was watching a YouTube video of people fighting with halberds and was surprised to see they would often hold the halberd over their heads butt first to facilitate an overhead swing (like you were chopping wood) so I can see how it would be easy to use the blunt end to strike someone.
I got ahold of a 13th century training manual once that showed a maneuver where you hold your sword by the blade(!) and bash the opponent's in the head with the crossguard.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads