• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polearm Master + quarterstaff...+ shield?

I know what a jo staff is, and how to fight with one (rusty at it that I am). I was trained to do so two-handed, I might add (though certainly, other fighting styles are out there).

In any case, I guess I could call it a jo staff but then people would look at me funny and ask me what a jo staff is*. Maybe I should call it a fighting cane? But yes, a half staff is roughly half the size of a quarterstaff.

*And of course someone would inevitably point out that I don't know squat about martial arts weapon categorizations (true enough) and my eyes would glaze over as they discuss the various permutations.

I've got a PC in my one group doing the shield+quarterstaff+polearm master at the moment. Though stylistically it rankles, it's okay by RAW, and hasn't proven to be unbalancing. After all, the character looses the greater damage die. And there are for more nonsensical exploits out there.

I think the Idea, that you hold a weapon in one hand and just attack is unrealistic. If you are protected by Plate Armor, the Shield was put away and you used a longsword with 2 hands to make your attacks more forceful. Then you used your whole Armor offensively. You could just run into your opponent and use the crossbar to attack. You could kick. Because you could not be hurt in most parts. So if you want to be borderline realistic, full plate and shield together makes no sense. And as you see, a shield hand could do more than just grasp the shield. It allowed different types of attacks.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
. . . It's a spell. Why shouldn't a spell be allowed to make a strange way of fighting possible? I am really don't understand how we play in a hobby with 11-eyed living laser machines that literally dream each other into existence, but when someone mentions the possibility of using a magical stick in one hand to hit someone in the face, people say "that's not realistic!" and/or "I'm not allowing that at my table!"

Okay. Makes sense :rolleyes:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah, I think we've covered this all before. The problem with polearm master including quarterstaff is, at it's root, a problem with the weapons table.

Club - Light - d4
Mace - nil - d6
Quarterstaff - Versatile (d8) - d6
Greatclub - Two-handed - d8

The problem is that "quarterstaff" is portraying two weapons: dueling cane and quarterstaff. But you can't do that because the weapons table isn't granular enough to put cane on the table and be mechanically distinct (setting aside how many indistinct weapons are on the list, especially at martial level). Essentially, the game is making quarterstaff be a normal quarterstaff, and a bo staff, and a jo staff, and a dueling cane, and a baseball bat, etc. The club is basically the size of a belaying pin or truncheon only. A mace is any shod or metal club. Anything long enough to be versatile is automatically a quarterstaff. Of course, mechanically, quarterstaff already invalidates both mace and greatclub, which really is stupid, but lots of people have problems with the 5e weapons table (e.g., why is "dart" still on the table instead of replacing it with throwing knife? Nobody knows what war darts are except war gamers!).

Breaking suspension of disbelief doesn't require doing extraordinary things. It requires breaking the conceits of the narrative. Here, one of the narratives is that melee combat is generally confined to the forms and styles of combat consistent with historical Western or European martial arts prior to the 16th century as portrayed in the mass media of the late 19th century through to the modern day.

Yes, you could in theory use a shield and then use a quarterstaff like a spear with no blade. The historical reality is that nobody carried a shield unless they were going to war. That means they were carrying a weapon built for war, such as a spear. A staff -- quarterstaff or otherwise -- is a weapon of convenience and social acceptability, not a weapon of war. That's why staves are weapons of monks, peasants, woodsmen, and gentlemen defending themselves from brigands. Nobody ever fielded regiments of quarterstavers on purpose, with or without shields. So it breaks suspension of disbelief.
You nailed it in the first half of the post about the weapons table designspace not having enough granularity to really fit a blackthorn cudgel/shillelagh/dueling cane/etc. bataireacht (irish martial arts/stick fighting) might only go back to the 17th/18th century* when it became more "organized", but as a weapon it's pretty freaking ancient

* coincidentally that's not all that different from d&d's holy sanctified term "quarterstaff" Also gained its new name :D The idea that a mildly worked stick is too modern for d&d is absurd. The big difference between the two is a few hundred miles & because of rule by a foreign power one gained a more recent revitalization through actual use.

Yeah, twirling a 6 ft long stick in one hand and being effective in combat is part of what I have a problem envisioning. I'm okay with a fair amount of silliness in D&D, but a quarterstaff is not a baton.
GM: "quarterstaff is 6 feet long"
bob: "the shorter version is cooler anyways, I don't want to play a ninja turtle or a wizard backed so far into a corner that I had to use my staff as a weapon instead of a focus"

delph

Explorer
By reading this post I'v got idea to ask. - By RAW - when I have quarterstaff, I can attack by action versatile, with two hands, than by free actions hold it on offhand and use bonus action atack?

Quartz

Hero
I was thinking about a ranger with the Druidic Warrior fighting style from Tasha’s who would use a quarterstaff with shillelagh and the Polearm Master feat. I noticed that the wording of the feat does not specify that you make your attack with two hands, and a quarterstaff is versatile. Does this mean you can use the Polearm Master feat with a quarterstaff and still use a shield?

Thanks!

Axe

Did you watch the movie Troy? Both Hector and Achilles clearly had both Polearm Master and Shield Master feats. They fought with spear and shield, mind.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
By reading this post I'v got idea to ask. - By RAW - when I have quarterstaff, I can attack by action versatile, with two hands, than by free actions hold it on offhand and use bonus action atack?
Sure, but then you're negating the shield bonus, which is kind of the point.

Oh, okay. I don't use "official" errata, as I generally feel I can make better rulings for my own game anyway.
The actual errata documents (as opposed to the sage advice answers) are good to be familiar with because they actually include all the changes in future printings of the books. Polearm master is one of the few functional changes made in errata. The only other one I can think of is contagion, but there may be a few more.

Remove ads