D&D 5E [Poll] Are any of the base classes too weak?

Which of the classes are too weak / too underpowered?

Zardnaar

Legend
And as a monk you can get right the back of the enemy lines (dash to run faster if necessary, dodge to get past the frontliners without taking hits, and you can do both of those in one turn) to get to any potential mages/ranged damage dealers. Grab Mage Slayer for the former and just completely ruin their day and let your casters focus on other things rather than just countering the other caster.

Mage Slayer feat lol. Opportunity cost you didn't take sentinel or mobility.

Barbarian are both one dimensional and weak. The class is held up by feats which is just disappointing.

Sorcerer origins could be fixed with giving each one a free metamagic and a few thematic spells to loosen up the restrictions.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, I don't.

Monks are a mobile DPR oriented character. BM Fighters are more versatile and survivable, but you apparently think they should not only be vastly tougher than Monks (higher AC and HP) but also do more damage and benefit more from magic items, and in any game with Feats, the BM Fighter already likely does significantly more damage.

Really hoping you blow my mind with some kind of mechanical insight here, don't just double down on Fighters should do more damage! ;)

Looking at no feats
Sword and shield BM fighter with duelist
Monk with no subclass using flurry of blows

Level 1-5 monks do more damage than BM
Level 6-7 The classes do nearly identical damage
Level 8-10 monks do more damage
Level 11 the fighter finally pulls ahead and will stay ahead the rest of his career.

Level 11+ the monk has enough KI to flurry of blows all day and use stunning strike (gives party members advantage when used - which likely makes up the damage difference)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On defenses,
The monk gets deflect missiles, evasion, stillness of mind, purity of body, diamond soul.

Fighters will get 1 hp extra per level up to level 8. The fighter will then get 2 extra hp per level. By level 12 he can get 3 extra hp per level

The fighter will have about 2 AC over the monk for most of his career.

The fighter has a slight edge IMO, but it's close.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On, mobility
Monk wins handsdown

How much damage do you do when you can't reach the enemy? 0....
Is it ever effective to be able to prioritize high damage targets in the back of the enemies group? Monks can do this well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On control,
Monks win handsdown

It's not that you have to use stunning strike all the time, it's that having the option to use it allows you to pick the times it will be most efficient.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On out of combat,
Depends on monk subclass but shadow monk makes an amazing option for this. Have I mentioned the base monk class is keeping up with the most damaging fighter subclass in damage? Yea, you can afford to pick any monk subclass you want.

S'mon

Legend
Luke Skywalker, shakes his head and states “Everything in that sentence is wrong “.

I don’t wish to be outright dismissive, but find, alas I can’t.😭

If the 5e Fighter is too weak for you in relationship to the other 5e classes, then you must either want such power increases (Double Weapon Specialization?), as to overshadow the other 5e classes, or you have a really high opinion of spells.

As it stands now Fighters will have better stats than the rest of classes due to extra ASI, or more Feats if ability scores are already high.

A Fighter with the Duelist Fighting Style and Heavy Armor Master feat eats the Barbarians lunch.

So is your opinion that fighters are weak based off Paladins?

No, I find Fighter is very vulnerable compared to Barbarian. Any heavy armour class can take heavy armour master, and it only helps vs low damage mundane BPS attacks. Duelist's +2 damage is nice but if GM allows multiclassing a Barbarian can get that too with a 1 level dip, and you're giving up Greatweapon Master, not using Sharpshooter, etc. Fighter is probably best sticking to archery, unless they're an Eldritch Knight who can burn spell slots to Shield for a decent level of protection.

I can't for the life of me think why 5E decided to make Barbarians "tanks".

Who compared the idea of a big musclely guy with no shirt to the highly skilled warrior in friggin chain or plate and decided "let's give the former a mechanic to resist damage, and have the latter be mostly about DPR"?

Did someone get their memos mixed up or something?

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I can't for the life of me think why 5E decided to make Barbarians "tanks".

Who compared the idea of a big musclely and guy with no shirt to the highly skilled warrior in friggin chain or plate and decided "let's give the former a mechanic to resist damage, and have the latter be mostly about DPR"?

Did someone get their memos mixed up or something.

D12 HD used to be a bigger dealhence tanky.

Most classes have had their hit dice upsized along with damage inflation.

Blame 3E.;)

Hmm. I didn't think I was responding to you, or to any particular assertion regarding the BM (Bowel Movement) Fighter.

But, again, I'm not a huge fan of DPR whiterooming. If you are, that's great! That's not me.
There is a fundamental flaw in whiterooming: It doesn't know how to account for tactical movement.

So you see two competing false assumptions: the monk will never be able to avoid damage through movement, the monk will always be able to avoid damage through movement.

Remove ads