D&D 5E [Poll] Are any of the base classes too weak?

Which of the classes are too weak / too underpowered?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I suspect the beastmaster is dragging it down. Hunter is perfectly fine.

The class is a mess though. Doesn't feel very much like a ranger.

Not really.
The ranger, especially the hunter ranger, does what it is designed to do. The issue is that many see it as a variant fighter. It's an exploration class who fights with weapons.

Outside of the beastmaster, the only real issue is spells known. The combat spells crowd out the exploration spells.

It's not like the sorcerer whose unique class's feature is always too few to use thought an adventuring day.

I'm not.

Unless rolled with amazing stats, the Monk will have poor AC, HP, and offense. To be effective, it relies on a single trick, "Stunning Strike", which targets the highest save in the game (CON).

The Monk can't take advantage of magical items, and it's Martial Arts damage die upgrades way too slowly.
The Monk needs more ki. Just add their Wis modifier and it may be enough.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The Monk needs more ki. Just add their Wis modifier and it may be enough.

Setting aside feats for a moment.

If a monk simply burns all ki in a day on flurry of blows then he will achieve about the same daily average DPR as a battlemaster fighter up through level 10.

Adding more ki allows them to outpace the battlemaster fighter in daily average DPR (pre level 11)

Setting aside feats for a moment.

If a monk simply burns all ki in a day on flurry of blows then he will achieve about the same daily average DPR as a battlemaster fighter up through level 10.

Adding more ki allows them to outpace the battlemaster fighter in daily average DPR.

So if they burn their entire resource on pure damage, as a class which is fundamentally more vulnerable than a BM Fighter, and balanced around the idea of more diverse Ki usage, they can equal the BM, and you see this as a problem? Further this only applies up to L10. Is this really intended as a criticism of giving them more Ki? I ask because it seems like an argument in support.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So if they burn their entire resource on pure damage, as a class which is fundamentally more vulnerable than a BM Fighter, and balanced around the idea of more diverse Ki usage, they can equal the BM, and you see this as a problem? Further this only applies up to L10. Is this really intended as a criticism of giving them more Ki? I ask because it seems like an argument in support.

A monk has a little less AC and alot more mobility than a fighter. I see that as a fair tradeoff.

The monks resource is more flexible than a fighters which while not adding outright power does tend to make it a more useful resource to have.

The main problem for monks are no monk damage feats and no burst damage.

After level 10 they have enough ki to flurry of blows and stunning strike as desired.

A monk has a little less AC and alot more mobility than a fighter. I see that as a fair tradeoff.

The monks resource is more flexible than a fighters which while not adding outright power does tend to make it a more useful resource to have.

The main problem for monks are no monk damage feats and no burst damage.

After level 10 they have enough ki to flurry of blows and stunning strike as desired.

I don't think that tradeoff is remotely as good as you're suggesting. They also have less HP and need both DEX and WIS where a Fighter only needs STR or DEX and can put the next best in CON so tend to be even further behind. And they don't just lose out on feats but also on magic items.

Remove ads