• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Drow PC's

4e Drow (And NPC reactions)

• Drow should not have any problems interacting with NPC's.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Drow should have a few problems, but only for story purposes.

Votes: 82 55.4%
  • Don't play a drow unless you want trouble !

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • No drow allowed in my game.

Votes: 20 13.5%

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I tend to discourage my players from playing monstrous characters, but if they are really dead set on the idea, I don't mind allowing it too much. There will be issues with NPCs, but not to the detriment of the overall game. I therefore voted for the second option.

Sphyre

First Post
We were discussing possible reactions to drow in 4e in my playgroup. Not particularly if you like the race or not, but how they are viewed by NPC's in your Forgotten Realms games.

What are your feelings on playing them - specifically running encounters with Npc's when one or more drow are in your party ?

First of all, I don't use the FR campaign setting, although if a player were a drow, they would use the stats from the book, much like if they wanted to play a swordmage.

As such, I really can't give you an answer that applies? Do you want an opinion from a setting other than FR or are you actually trying to nail down what kind of reactions drow would get specifically in the FR setting?

Either way, my answer is "I will any race that is a feasible one for the campaign I'm running." The responses will be purely based off what an NPC of that standing would give, with no special treatment that they are a PC. If they hate drow (as most informed sentient races would) they most likely would lash out at the drow or fear the drow - but that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to the rule, or ignorance to the heritage of the drow.

burntgerbil

Explorer
Good points, all -

What I really also wanted to know is that no where in the FRPG does it say that you should expect trouble if you play a drow. Yes, we have all read the novels, we know from earlier editions - but the question is: Should those factors determine our judgment on the new drow situation in 4e ?

I am not particularly attracted to the drow race, but my viewpoint was if it is published as a playable class (not in the MM), then it should be the same across the board as any other class - much like the shift from the 3.5 to 4e warlock. It does not mention anywhere in the drow writeup in the FRPG that all of the other races have hatred and enmity towards drow - only that some of the underground drow are a murderous, spiteful bunch.

Should this imply that they should be widely hated, or is the omission of this type of material part of a massive PR campaign turning over a new leaf for everyones favorite kinder and gentler dark elves ?

keterys

First Post
It's been a hundred years. A lot can change. As far as I can tell, FR is a lot more cosmopolitan now, with all manner of races walking the streets, including orcs, drow, dragonborn, tieflings, etc.

Mengu

First Post
It's been a hundred years. A lot can change. As far as I can tell, FR is a lot more cosmopolitan now, with all manner of races walking the streets, including orcs, drow, dragonborn, tieflings, etc.

I see it more like Star Wars. When you walk into the tavern in the slums (cantina), you are going to see all manner of races, and few will pay attention to what your race is, as opposed to where you keep your weapon, and where your hands are. The wiser folks (jedi) may be willing to accept many individuals as peaceful, instead of judging them by their war-like or reputedly evil race. But if you walk into a high class inn, or are negotiating entry to the palace, you are likely to be treated hostile if they don't like your race.

the Jester

Legend
Drow aren't for pcs imho.

They NEVER should have been, either- as they were originally presented, they were awesome, alien and villainous. Now... they're a dime a dozen.

Again, just mho.

Nail

First Post
Drow aren't for pcs imho.

They NEVER should have been, either- as they were originally presented, they were awesome, alien and villainous. Now... they're a dime a dozen.

Again, just mho.
Sure, but....

;)

In my view, the DM shouldn't allow a PC race which he intends on "picking on".

Stogoe

First Post
I love love love non-standard races, and I would never make it a pain for a player to play one. Which is a shame, because my group all picked PHB races for my current game.

Then again, I tailor the setting to what the players want to play - if they wanted to play minotaurs and bugbears, the setting would probably have a large goblin and minotaur population.

Mercule

Adventurer
I marked "not in my game", but that isn't exactly a helpful answer.

I hate, hate, HATE with the fire of a thousand suns this egalitarian and racially sanguine melting pot that is the default in 4e. Races tend to congregate with like races. If you ain't from around here, expect to be treated as such. If you're a member of a race that's known to worship demons and torture people to death as a freaking hobby, expect a very real chance of a lynching.

I wouldn't call it "picking on" a race or character. Sometimes, that sort of thing can be really interesting. The player gets forewarning and makes an informed choice. If you're choosing the race for role-playing reasons, it's just part of the package. If you aren't doing it for role-playing reasons then just ask the DM for some stat bonuses and carry on.

TheLordWinter

First Post
What I really also wanted to know is that no where in the FRPG does it say that you should expect trouble if you play a drow. Yes, we have all read the novels, we know from earlier editions - but the question is: Should those factors determine our judgment on the new drow situation in 4e ?

To quote the Order of the Stick webcomic, which has an excellent page on this very issue (back in 3.5 admittedly, but still applicable):

Haley: Hey, wait a minute. Aren't dark elves evil?
Nale: Oh, my, no. Not since they became a player race. Now the whole species consists of nothing but Chaotic Good rebels, yearning to throw off the reputation of their evil kin.
Haley: Evil kin? Didn't you just say they were all Chaotic Good?
Nale: Details.

In my game, the drow will definitely be unwelcome on the surface world, and players who intend to play one had better set about trying to make a name for themselves above and beyond their bretheren. Then again, I'm not playing in the Realms, so my players won't have the dark elves best PR man on their side either, with his standard issue twin scimitars.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads