• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Poll: How tough should 20th Level Fighters be? (MCU edition)

Which of these is close to where a fighter should max out in D&D?

• Post GG2 Star-Lord

• Black Widow / Hawkeye

• Black Panther / Captain America

• Spider-Man

• Somewhere in this Big Gap

• Hulk (really good, but no flight or turning to electricity)

• Captain Marvel / Thor

Results are only viewable after voting.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Going from the MCU ('cause I really do not know the comics) I would rate Capt. Marvel off the chart but I will accept Thor at the top of the fighter level. Do not think Star Lord is a fighter, neither is Hawkeye. Black Widow is super human but is she better or worse then Capt. America, I dunno, am willing to listen to arguments either way.

On the basis of what we have seen so far in the MCU Thor > Hulk.
So that out of the way I would see the 20th level fighter on the level of Thor + Stormbreaker.

Honest opinion: There are multiple incompatible views in the fanbase of what a high-level fighter ought be like, and my solution is to literally split the game into two or three variants -- There should be one version of D&D where a L20 fighter is Thor, and another where they are Captain America (and possibly another where they are Hawkeye or Simo Häyhä)

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Going from the MCU ('cause I really do not know the comics) I would rate Capt. Marvel off the chart but I will accept Thor at the top of the fighter level. Do not think Star Lord is a fighter, neither is Hawkeye. Black Widow is super human but is she better or worse then Capt. America, I dunno, am willing to listen to arguments either way.

I'd probably make Hawkeye a Ranger, Black Widow a Rogue. They seem a bit lower level than Cap, but maybe that's just their class choice & builds. :D

In general I do think of 5e Tier IV play as very close to the feel of (early) MCU Super-Hero Heroics. Thor & Hulk feel like level 20 PCs who've acquired a bunch of Epic Boons. Captain Marvel is the only one who feels like she wandered in from the DCU.

Honest opinion: There are two incompatible views in the fanbase of what a high-level fighter ought be like, and my solution is to literally split the game into two or three variants -- There should be one version of D&D where a L20 fighter is Thor, and another where they are Captain America (and possibly another where they are Hawkeye or Simo Häyhä)
I guess the question is..who holds these views such that the incompatibility is irreconcilable? Fighter players, DMs, caster players? Basically who gets served in each if these variants?

And a follow up would be..in each of the variants, do the other classes' power levels stay the same?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Honest opinion: There are two incompatible views in the fanbase of what a high-level fighter ought be like, and my solution is to literally split the game into two or three variants -- There should be one version of D&D where a L20 fighter is Thor, and another where they are Captain America (and possibly another where they are Hawkeye or Simo Häyhä)
Sounds good, you could have:
  • Dungeons, Dragons, and Dudes (BP and Cap)
  • Dungeons, Dragons, and Don't-knows (the big cap region)
  • Dungeons, Dragons, and Demi-gods (Thor)

;)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Captain America can't duke it out with a Balor.
Sure he can. He's probably getting in a good pop...one in three or four attacks...and repeatedly having America's ass handed to him/knocked down. But as we all know, he can do this all day. (and heal fast in between knock outs).

He'd hold his own...even if he couldn't kill it without grabbing some supernatural help: actual magic, advanced tech, thunder god, whatever you have lying around.

Last edited:

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
I voted somewhere in the Gap, as that is probably the minimum a fighter should be at 20th level, just based on what 20th level characters are fighting. The Tarrasque is something that a group could theoretically fight, and the fighter is expected to go up and try to hurt it with a sword. I'm not sure we would expect Spider-Man to be able to do that, and we definitely wouldn't expect anyone lower to do so.

Remove ads