D&D (2024) Poll on DDB about additional material for sale

mamba

Legend
I've been getting emails for KbPs playtest. I haven't really paid much attention to it. Just to help me understand, so if you Kickstarted it you get all the playtest material? If not you just get select packets?
you get everything they offer to playtest, including things you have to pay for when you didn’t (there are some free public parts too)

The playtest overall seems less extensive than WotC’s however, i.e. we are not seeing all species or all classes up to level 20. I assume this is due to the aggressive timeline

Jared took notes and wrote up a bit more about every question

I don’t like how he put everything.

Like it seems he just hates the idea of digital supplements

Zaukrie

New Publisher

"free monsters are bad" ....ugh.

Also, this is no different than Dungeon or Dragon magazine at all.....those things were exclusive to the mags, until released later in books, but having just gone thru nearly every single issue of each, I can attest that the VAST MAJORITY of stuff in mags was never released in other ways.

mamba

Legend

agreed, the main concern seems to be ‘if they do that, why should they do books, they can just give us everything in digital pieces’

Why have Van Richtens when you can do some digital guides instead. Same for anthologies like Ghosts of Saltmarsh or Monster Manuals like in Spelljammer, etc.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
"free monsters are bad" ....ugh.

Also, this is no different than Dungeon or Dragon magazine at all.....those things were exclusive to the mags, until released later in books, but having just gone thru nearly every single issue of each, I can attest that the VAST MAJORITY of stuff in mags was never released in other ways.
Except that the market penetration of those magazines was nearly zero.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Except that the market penetration of those magazines was nearly zero.
so what? Seriously, so what?

If the game w/o those things is good, then it is still good, even if others have stuff that book owners don't have. Just like choosing to buy some books or not buy some books.

I wouldn't mind a few niche monsters, and smaller adventures sounds like a no brainer. Rules though? I like you can buy rules piecemeal but I don't think there should be exclusive rules.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
so what? Seriously, so what?

If the game w/o those things is good, then it is still good, even if others have stuff that book owners don't have. Just like choosing to buy some books or not buy some books.
The chances I interact with a player who read a specific issue of Dragon was and remains nearly zero.
About 20% of the D&D playing public use DnDBeyond.

Remove ads