D&D (2024) Poll on DDB about additional material for sale

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I wouldn't mind a few niche monsters, and smaller adventures sounds like a no brainer. Rules though? I like you can buy rules piecemeal but I don't think there should be exclusive rules.

I answered that too. I think short adventures is a great idea, and you can really never have too many monsters (as long as they're all well designed). Ditto for traps and magic items, really. Rules, though? No thanks. Nor spells. I find spells are already too disruptive to want a ton of questionable "new" ones.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I am not sure what this has to do with being able to buy content on D&D Beyond.

If you don't want to use supplemental material then don't.
Reading Jared's post he's pretty clear that having a burden on DMs to permit all DnD Beyond content is heavy.
And, since DnD Beyond is common and it doesn't have adequate filters for permitted content (you either allow all Core D&D or not) I agree.

Reading Jared's post he's pretty clear that having a burden on DMs to permit all DnD Beyond content is heavy.
And, since DnD Beyond is common and it doesn't have adequate filters for permitted content (you either allow all Core D&D or not) I agree.
Beyond actually has the ability to allow content or not on Campaigns.

Anyway I could not agree less, it's no different from buying a book, if a DM does not want content from it they can just say so.
I am almost always a DM, and I viewed pretty much everything on the list as nothing but positives.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Anyway I could not agree less, it's no different from buying a book, if a DM does not want content from it they can just say so.
I am almost always a DM, and I viewed pretty much everything on the list as nothing but positives.
I had the same thought. All the issues the article had seemed like they could also be made about non-core books. Want to play a Warforged? They're behind a paywall called Eberron: Rising from the last war. You want revised downtime rules? They're behind a paywall called Xanethar's Guide to Everything.

darjr

I crit!
Beyond actually has the ability to allow content or not on Campaigns.

I had the same thought. All the issues the article had seemed like they could also be made about non-core books. Want to play a Warforged? They're behind a paywall called Eberron: Rising from the last war. You want revised downtime rules? They're behind a paywall called Xanethar's Guide to Everything.
Two things. You as a GM can delist a book for content but the players can still pick from that content in the character builder. I'm not clear if they have to own it or not though, I don't think so.
Second. Those things are not labeled from which book they come from in the character builder.

Mike Shea (aka. SlyFlourish) talks about this quite a bit.

See A way to limit player's when they create their characters - Bugs & Support - D&D Beyond General - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond

Two things. You as a GM can delist a book for content but the players can still pick from that content in the character builder. I'm not clear if they have to own it or not though, I don't think so.
Second. Those things are not labeled from which book they come from in the character builder.

Mike Shea (aka. SlyFlourish) talks about this quite a bit.

See A way to limit player's when they create their characters - Bugs & Support - D&D Beyond General - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond
They have to own it.

JEB

Legend
The number of people on EN World who objected to the recent free monsters and magic items is countless
They were objecting to the "free" material requiring them to also get a DDB account, and access to the material being tied to your use of that service. (Yes, you can save the stuff down to your own computer manually, but Wizards doesn't make it easy and would clearly rather you didn't.)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have experienced the burden of players asking for options found in published books like Tasha's.

I have never felt a burden of players asking for options found in magazines or third party materials. They've asked for sure, but I never felt anything like the pressure to say yes over that sort of thing like I do from a book like Tasha's.

I think it's because the nature of a book like Tasha's is "These are official patch-like materials to address concerns raised by existing materials in the game, and we put them through professional playtesting." While Dragon magazine and third party material was more along the nature of "Were you looking for this odd optional alternative rules for more granular wilderness travel or a Jester subclass? Here you go, but fair warning we never really playtested this we just thought might be fun and cool."

I suspect these will be along the same line as that "fun and cool optional alternative stuff" that could be found in Dragon magazine and third party books, rather than "Pressure to say yes to this essentially patch-like material" stuff found in books like Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

Remove ads