• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Sandals of Sprinting, too cheap or too expensive?

Sandals of Sprinting, too cheap or too expensive?

• Too cheap

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Too expensive

Votes: 14 60.9%

Slaved

First Post
Mistwell said:
I think, if we took a poll, most people would say that item is too cheap, not too expensive.

I like polls. So why not?

Since this part of the other thread is already done it should not step on its toes hopefully.

So, are these boots too cheap or too expensive?

Sandals of Sprinting - 3xday swift action to gain +30 enhancement bonus to land speed (max double your speed) until start of your next turn. 2,300 gp.

I am sorry to not give an option saying just right. I know that it is a valid choice but I would prefer people to go to one side or another. If you feel this is not fair and your answer would be just right feel free to not vote on the poll.

Any reasoning one way or the other would be appreciated.

Victim

First Post
Well, my pre-MIC training tells me to think in terms of thousands of GP. So the item feels about right. Boots of Speed grant the same bonus to speed as a free action 10 times per day, plus all the other haste benefits (AC, att, Ref, extra swing) for only 12k. So just looking at uses per day, we'd be at around 4k for 3x day. So without all the other benefits ~2k seems pretty good. You can't really go much lower and still have meaningful price differences.

frankthedm

First Post
Too cheap: Mainly because unlike Expeditious retreat & haste, it sounds like this can make someone in Fullplate get 50’ rather than 40'.

Zoning those who take foolplate is a valid tactic that this bites into far too much. Assuming they can get magic, a 20’ speed character has a 80’ charge potential, just zonable by the longbow’s 100’ range increment without penalty. Not even a Composite longbow can zone someone with a 100’ charge since the shooter has to be 105’ away to avoid the first increment penalty

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
frankthedm said:
Too cheap: Mainly because unlike Expeditious retreat & haste, it sounds like this can make someone in Fullplate get 50’ rather than 40'.

Zoning those who take foolplate is a valid tactic that this bites into far too much. Assuming they can get magic, a 20’ speed character has a 80’ charge potential, just zonable by the longbow’s 100’ range increment without penalty. Not even a Composite longbow can zone someone with a 100’ charge since the shooter has to be 105’ away to avoid the first increment penalty.

It has the same max double speed as Haste apparently, so plate still only goes 40.

Boohoo, they take -2 to shoot since they can't be in the first range increment.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
frankthedm said:

Zoning those who take foolplate is a valid tactic that this bites into far too much. Assuming they can get magic, a 20’ speed character has a 80’ charge potential, just zonable by the longbow’s 100’ range increment without penalty. Not even a Composite longbow can zone someone with a 100’ charge since the shooter has to be 105’ away to avoid the first increment penalty.

Or the full plate character could ride a horse, for much the same result.

James McMurray

First Post
blargney the second said:
How long would it have taken to add an "It's fine" option?
-blarg

I believe the point was to force the poll to be worthless, since he recognized the need for a third option and consciously chose to ignore it. Not sure why someone would do that, but it takes all kinds to make an internet.

Remove ads