Poll: What TSR RPG Should Be Revivified by Wizards?

What old TSR RPG should Wizards revivify? PICK UP TO THREE!

• The Adventures of Indiana Jones Role-Playing Game

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Amazing Engine

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Boot Hill

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Buck Rogers XXVC

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Bullwinkle and Rocky Role-Playing Party Game

• Conan Role-Playing Game

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Crimefighters

• Empire of the Petal Throne

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 53 45.7%
  • Gangbusters

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • High Adventure Cliffhangers Buck Rogers Adventure Game

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP)

Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Metamorphosis Alpha

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Star Frontiers

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • Top Secret

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • Alternity

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • Dragonlance: Fifth Age (SAGA)

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game (SAGA)

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Poll closed .

atanakar

Hero
Since 5E has come out, and correct me if Im wrong, on the TTRPG side WotC hasnt released or shown any interest in anything other than D&D and its spinoffs like MtG, Critical Roll and Aquisitions Inc. All of which runs on the 5E rules so Id be surprised if we see anything other than D&D for awhile. Have they made any mention of old properties like d20 Modern, or Marvel Superheroes?

They have not mentioned d20 or Marvel. IIRC they also said in a press release about a future science-fiction video game, that any new RPG would not be with old IPs. We may dream of Gamma World, Alternity and Star Frontiers but we won't get them. I think that instead we will get a brand new and contemporary science-fiction game. I'm thinking Transhuman sci-fi mixed with Firefly.

Whether it will be based on the D&D5e engine remains to be seen. I'm of two minds on this. I would really like a system created specifically for sci-fi. I would also like a unique setting and not just a generic all you can eat pizza of options.

atanakar

Hero
Esper Genesis already does D&D5e based sci-fi by the way.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
They have not mentioned d20 or Marvel. IIRC they also said in a press release about a future science-fiction video game, that any new RPG would not be with old IPs. We may dream of Gamma World, Alternity and Star Frontiers but we won't get them. I think that instead we will get a brand new and contemporary science-fiction game. I'm thinking Transhuman sci-fi mixed with Firefly.

Whether it will be based on the D&D5e engine remains to be seen. I'm of two minds on this. I would really like a system created specifically for sci-fi. I would also like a unique setting and not just a generic all you can eat pizza of options.

Suppose this approach is for the better. All games will naturally progress/evolve. There will come a day probably sooner than people expect or want where 5E will give way to another edition of D&D so its probably natural that any modern, scifi or superhereos might be the prototype for the next iteration of D&D as Alternity was for D&D 3E.

atanakar

Hero
Suppose this approach is for the better. All games will naturally progress/evolve. There will come a day probably sooner than people expect or want where 5E will give way to another edition of D&D so its probably natural that any modern, scifi or superhereos might be the prototype for the next iteration of D&D as Alternity was for D&D 3E.

They also did that with Star Wars SAGA. It wasn't 3.5 and it was 4e either.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think that if WotC does decide to create another RPG that they at the very least consider other systems and mechanics. The core d20 system is well known, and functional for sure....but it's not really the best for every genre. It's not suited for superheroics, for example, so if they made a supers game, they'd probably want to look at mechanics that would help replicate superheroic fiction.

Same with sci-fi or modern. Maybe some d20 elements work for those settings, but others probably don't. I'd hope that they would try to put out the best game they can for the setting they're working with.

It may all be moot, but that's what would make sense to me.

Maybe a different version of d20, without some sacred cows, for example adding some new abilities scores for games in modern age about investigation. Or with a different system of leveling up to can play wargames or mass battles.

And I guess they will try to create a really universal d20 could be used by all potential 3PPs for all type of genres, but specially to be easy to be adapted to videogames.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Truthfully the RPG items they could put out that I'd like to see aren't the TSR ones. Avalon Hill is under the WotC umbrella, and they had Runequest 3rd edition. I'm indifferent to the rules, but the supplements like Shadows on the Borderlands, Dorastor, Strangers in Prax, Sun County and others would absolutely go onto my Must Buy list.

atanakar

Hero
Maybe a different version of d20, without some sacred cows, for example adding some new abilities scores for games in modern age about investigation. Or with a different system of leveling up to can play wargames or mass battles.

And I guess they will try to create a really universal d20 could be used by all potential 3PPs for all type of genres, but specially to be easy to be adapted to videogames.

The universal d20 system did not work well because you need special rules to make each different setting feel really unique. GURPS is a good example. While it's possible to play anything with GURPS each setting book introduces many new rules to spice up the flavour. This means settings are not compatible and you need to modify characters if they switch settings as in the Sliders tv show.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases