Poll: What TSR RPG Should Be Revivified by Wizards?

What old TSR RPG should Wizards revivify? PICK UP TO THREE!

• The Adventures of Indiana Jones Role-Playing Game

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Amazing Engine

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Boot Hill

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Buck Rogers XXVC

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Bullwinkle and Rocky Role-Playing Party Game

• Conan Role-Playing Game

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Crimefighters

• Empire of the Petal Throne

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 53 45.3%
  • Gangbusters

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • High Adventure Cliffhangers Buck Rogers Adventure Game

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP)

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Metamorphosis Alpha

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Star Frontiers

Votes: 53 45.3%
  • Top Secret

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Alternity

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • Dragonlance: Fifth Age (SAGA)

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game (SAGA)

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
L

lowkey13

So I was thinking about some of the classic RPGs that TSR pushed out, some of which are well-known (Gamma World) some a little less well-known (Crimefighters) and I was wondering- hey, maybe it would be good to see these re-published with an updated set of more modern rules?

I'm putting this up as a poll (and perhaps a Survivor thread at some point)! Now, a few guidelines-

1. This does not include boardgames made by TSR (sorry, War of Wizards).

2. This does not include card games made by TSR (no soup for you, Blood Wars).

3. This does not include microgames or wargames (nada, Panzer Warfare)

RPGs only! And I am ignoring any possible licensing issues, because that's no fun.

So, here is the list....

The Adventures of Indiana Jones Role-Playing Game
Amazing Engine
Boot Hill
Buck Rogers XXVC
Bullwinkle and Rocky Role-Playing Party Game
Conan Role-Playing Game
Crimefighters
Empire of the Petal Throne
Gamma World
Gangbusters
High Adventure Cliffhangers Buck Rogers Adventure Game
Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP)
Metamorphosis Alpha
Star Frontiers
Top Secret

EDIT-
Pls. note that Alternity has been added to the bottom of the poll. Apologize for the confusion.

Edit 2-
Pls. note that the two SAGA system games (Dragonlance Fifth Age and Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game) has been added as well.

For purposes of the poll, let's say pick your top 3, and then explain in the comments.

For me?

1. Star Frontiers. Base rules + Knight Hawks + Zebulons = Awesomeness.
2. Top Secret. Listen to me, Hillary. I'm not the first guy who fell in love with a woman that he met at a restaurant who turned out to be the daughter of a kidnapped scientist, only to lose her to her childhood lover who she last saw on a deserted island, who then turned out fifteen years later to be the leader of the French underground.
3. Marvel FASERIP. Yeah, there's the licensing issue, but this is the all-time classic. Such a smooth system for the 80s.

Why not Gamma World? Because others have made very good fan conversions, etc. for 5e.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, it’s not even a contest. FASERIP with a few modern tweaks and fixes, thank you.

Distant second and third are Star Frontiers and Buck Rogers on the sci-fi front and Top Secret for modern spy stuff.

L

lowkey13

Here it is, a big list of TSR games, and the first one I think of, it's not there, typical.
Sorry! Thought I got them all. I mean, c'mon, it's a pretty long list! :)

The poll is edited to include it.

(Next time @ me so I know .... )

Empire of the Petal Throne is such a unique, flavorful world, and is an important part of gaming history. If nothing else, I could see it easily getting the Ravnica/Theros style treatment for 5e.

The same goes for Gamma World. It's weird and wild and the apocalypse never goes out of style, it would seem.

Marvel seems like a no-brainer these days, except for how much it would surely cost to do.

I didn't pick Top Secret, because we already have Top Secret: N.W.O., which is a pretty slick and easy to understand new edition.

dragoner

Dying in Chargen
Sorry! Thought I got them all. I mean, c'mon, it's a pretty long list! :)

The poll is edited to include it.

(Next time @ me so I know .... )
Ah well, I already voted for EPT, that would be a killer 5e setting. Some of these games are also like abandon ware, as one can see books made for them at cons and stuff, or like very close; though you mentioned that.

L

lowkey13

Ah well, I already voted for EPT, that would be a killer 5e setting. Some of these games are also like abandon ware, as one can see books made for them at cons and stuff, or like very close; though you mentioned that.
You can change your vote!

Also, you get up to three choices. ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
No Alternity?
Alternity already has a new edition out!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted Boot Hill, Indy Jones, and Star Frontiers...but that's just because I really want an updated d20 Modern and d20 Future.

Last edited:

dragoner

Dying in Chargen
Alternity already has a new edition out!

Yes, I saw that at GenCon, almost bought it; there are some others out as well, istr seeing a new Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha. Then with Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, and Gangbusters; there are fan made adaptations, not sure how much original setting material can be made for them. EPT also has new material, through Tékumel :: The World of the Petal Throne

Lidgar

Adventurer
My votes:

1. Empire of the Petal Throne - Love the incredibly rich lore, culture, mystique.

2. Star Frontiers - I want to play a flying wookie again. 'Nuff said.

3. Top Secret - With an improved game engine and assuming they set it in the 1980's cold war era (where it belongs!), this would be 9 ways of fun. Still have very fond memories of this little gem:

1583858035987.png

atanakar

Adventurer
WoTC needs a flag ship science-fiction game.

I would like to see a sci-fi RPGs that can do Star Frontiers/Alternity and Gamma World all rolled into one. Also a game that takes into account all the technological progress that has been made since the games were published.

JeffB

Legend
I don't trust them with EPT. It's not sanitary enough for them*. Jeff Dee has a new-ish Tekumel game out and there. Also The Petal Hack.

EDIT-FWIW- Wizards does not have the rights to EPT. TSR gave those up in the late 1970s.
EDIT2- Further FWIW- I should read the OP more carefully. Duh.

Gangbusters recently got re-done with the BX treatment I believe.

Met Alpha has been pretty active between Goodman and now Troll Lord Games.

Top Secret was awesome, but modern tech ruins the Spy Genre for me.

*This goes for Buck Rogers too. It's not Politically/Socially friendly.

I don't even recognize (or care about) Marvel anymore. Circa 1984, sure. Modern day? No thanks.

Star Frontiers gets my vote along with Boot Hill and Alternity.

Last edited:

Advertisement