DDAL Polymorph and drop monster into a pickle jar.

jgsugden

Legend
"Let the wookie win."

If a player hits on this idea, they'll keep pushing the limits until they figure out ways to effectively kill monsters using polymorph. You can go back and forth in a somewhat antagonist game of cat and mouse with the player where you explain away why this and that approach doesn't turn polymorph into an effective instant kill ... or you can just let it happen. I find it far better for the game to work with the PC and make it fun for them. To that end, I join their game rather than trying to end it.

Player: "So the Grick fails and turns into a starfish? I scoop it into that glass jar from the last room and put the lid on!"

DM: "Roll me an Intelligence check - proficient if you have Nature."

Player: "13."

DM: "The starfish will die in a matter of minutes without water. That will end the polymorph and return them to their normal form at full hp. That'll break the jar, dealing a little damage to them, but they'll essentially be back at full hp then."

Player: "Oh - what if I put water in the jar?"

DM: "If it isn't salt water, the starfish will die relatively quickly still. You're not sure how long, but it will be less than an hour."

Player: "OK. How long would it take for me to get back to that room with lava?"

DM: "You have enough time assuming nothing new has moved into your path."

Player: "OK, I run back and throw the jar in the lava."

DM: "You rolled a 13? As you start to head that way you realize the grick may survive a dip in lava - it'll likely be badly burned, but it is likely to survive. You realize, however, that you could just place the grick in a confined space. If the space is strong enough, the grick will be crushed to death when it reverts."

Player: "Oh - there was that stone shaft that we pulled the key out of ... you said that was drilled about 10 feet into the solid rock."

DM: "Yup. You think that will work."

Player: "I do it then. What happens when I end concentration?"

DM: "There is a very brief screech followed by a surprisingly thick red and green goo with specks of bone extruding from the mouth of the shaft."

Player: "Ewww ... nice."

I really hate 5E polymorph. Spell should have remain split into Polymorph (Self) and Baneful Polymorph. If I turn someone into a cat, I'd like for them not to just be able to throw themselves off a table to turn themselves back without some (serious) risk.
The spell as a whole needs a revision. It is also one the few auto scaling spells. It works against a CR 20 creature as well as a CR 5 creature. It really needs to get the wildshape treatment at least. And a save each turn.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
The pickle jar is simple, the creature returns to their normal form with no damage. It's a pickle jar.

As far as dropping it into a pit or similar I just rule that it's much like teleporting into a solid space if the being can't physically fit. As it transforms it appears in the nearest unoccupied space. I'm all for creative use for example the starfish were thrown into deep enough ocean the creature may drown before it can surface but there's a line between clever and exploit. 🤷‍♂️

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I really hate 5E polymorph. Spell should have remain split into Polymorph (Self) and Baneful Polymorph. If I turn someone into a cat, I'd like for them not to just be able to throw themselves off a table to turn themselves back without some (serious) risk.
In this example, the cat would not take damage from falling off the table because cats always land on their feet. ;)

the Jester

Legend
Their argument is that even after an hour, it could not shift back due to not having the strength.
There is no strength required to shift back.

If you want to start killing pcs this way, allow it; otherwise, reason your way out of it. I'd rule that either the jar shatters as the creature resumes its normal form or that the lid pops off and the creature pops out.

5e is not really big on instant death effects, which is what all the shenanigans suggested in the thread are trying to achieve. I'd just always default to "shunted to nearest large enough open space" rather than opening that particular can of worms.

aco175

Legend
I believe the saying, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." fits here. Allowing players to do things means that the monsters can do the same back to the PCs and the players should not get upset and call foul.

I encourage creative thinking in players and bending things to overcome the bad guys and traps and such. The DM just needs to remind them that if this is going to work, the bad guys can do the same and the players buy in.

Quickleaf

Legend
Okay situation. PC casts polymorph on a monster. Grick Alpha in this case. Turns it into a starfish. Drops it into a pickle jar. Their argument is that even after an hour, it could not shift back due to not having the strength. My counter it depends and you have an hour before I make a decision.

Your input please.

The player is known for baffling dms with bs. And read the write for what happen to him

There is no strength required to shift back.

If you want to start killing pcs this way, allow it; otherwise, reason your way out of it. I'd rule that either the jar shatters as the creature resumes its normal form or that the lid pops off and the creature pops out.

5e is not really big on instant death effects, which is what all the shenanigans suggested in the thread are trying to achieve. I'd just always default to "shunted to nearest large enough open space" rather than opening that particular can of worms.
DDAL is a play environment where balance concerns are much greater than at a home table, right?

Polymorph shenanigans from a player who enjoys pulling shenanigans.

I don't really play DDAL, but my hunch here is the answer is a "No" with a very specific explanation for why: "No, because I'd hate to see polymorph employed against a player character in this way." Like what Jester is eluding to. I think that reframes the shenanigan-seeking behavior to consider the context of the DDAL play environment.

Were this a home game, my answer would be quite different, leaning more towards a creative "yes, but" or "no, but" compromise.

Remove ads