Polymorph Other on yourself??

Arcanus

First Post
Okay in my earlier post about Charisma changes, I allready new the correct answer I was just kinda clowning around to keep the post running.

What I still want to know is what creatures would anyone want to change into and why.

Have any of you used Polymorph spells in funny or game breaking ways? How about climatic events in your campaign?

Can you use polymorph to change color and appearance of creatures to kind of disguise lets say a Hag to look like an ugly old woman?

Arcanus

First Post
How do you determine the new Str. Dex. and Con. scores of the new form that you have taken with polymorph?

The monsters in the Monster Manual are average examples of creatures of those races. Does this mean that the Ability scores listed there for each monster are the new ones you would have?

Eraslin

First Post
Arcanus said:
How do you determine the new Str. Dex. and Con. scores of the new form that you have taken with polymorph?

The monsters in the Monster Manual are average examples of creatures of those races. Does this mean that the Ability scores listed there for each monster are the new ones you would have?

IIRC, you remove any racial modifiers that you have to said stats, then add the new racial modifiers.

ex: You're an elf: +2 dex, -2 con
You are polymorphing into an Ogre: +10 str, -2 dex, +4 con
Your stats, as an elf, are: str 10, dex 14, con 8
Remove elven racial modifiers: str 10, dex 12, con 10
Add Ogre modifiers: str 20, dex 10, con 14

-Eraslin

Last edited:

Eraslin

First Post
Happiest_Sadist said:
NO

Your physical stats are average for the race. Any polymorphed ogre has 20 st, 8 dex, and 14 con. REGARDLESS of your origional stats.

Ah! Right you are, I was thinking of reincarnation... :D

-Eraslin

d12

First Post
to get back to the original question...

No, you can't cast cast Polymorph Other on yourself because the spell is called Polymorph Other . It doesn't matter what the spell description says. And "is" means "is."

Eraslin

First Post
Re: to get back to the original question...

d12 said:
No, you can't cast cast Polymorph Other on yourself because the spell is called Polymorph Other . It doesn't matter what the spell description says. And "is" means "is."

Actually, the target field of Polymorph Other reads "One creature" (T&B, pg94). Also, other than the name of the spell, there is no where in the spell description which states that it must be targetted on another creature. So, whether you can target yourself with it is open to interpretation and as it is written you can target any creature (self included, unless you're not a creature :D). Any other interpretation would be a Rule 0 on behalf of the adjudicating DM -- or so is by belief.

-Eraslin

EDIT: Of course, IIRC, in previous editions of the game Polymorph Other did have that restriction. So, I guess it still boils down to whether your DM wants to allow you to use it on yourself or not. Whether you want to go by the letter or spirit of the law, as it were. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads