Polymorph Other on yourself??

Arcanus

First Post
Can you cast Polymorph Other on yourself?

If so what would you (being a 8th level human Sorcerer) turn yourself into? (Lets say your Str. is a 12 Con. is 14 Dex is 16, as a human)

Can you automatically dispel the effects of Polymorph Other if you wanted your spell to end? Would you need Dispel Magic to do this?

Mahali

Explorer
I know the spell description has changed but assuming that the Target and Duration part hasn't then:
Yes you can target yourself.
No you can't end it voluntarily since there is no (D) after the duration.

DarkJester

First Post
"Target: One Creature"
So I think you could use it on yourself,just don't turn yourself into anything that can't cast spells...or your stuck.

Some good forms for a level 8 would be:
Troll. Anti Grapple,Reach,Ac,+3 Initivative
Annis(Hag). Same as above,except less dex (+1) but 20 Ac base.
Pixie: Flight,Small Size, +4 Dex Mod

You can auto dispel the spell with dispel magic (You always pass dispel checks on your own spells). You can not however,dismiss the spell without the aid of dispel magic.

Arcanus

First Post
I know in the spell description that it says your Int, Wis, and Cha all stay the same and you gain the Dex, Con, Str of new form.

What if the new creature form has higher Cha then you do, like a nymph for example?

YOU would obviously be alot better looking so would your cha. based skill checks be modified accordingly? or not? Just kinda wondering.

Probally wouldn't if you still had that masculine, gravelly voice you had in your old form. :)

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Yoda...

Arcanus said:
What if the new creature form has higher Cha then you do, like a nymph for example?

YOU would obviously be alot better looking so would your cha. based skill checks be modified accordingly? or not? Just kinda wondering.
You must unlearn. Unlearn!

Seriously, it's 2e-speak there. Charisma is not "how attractive you are physically," but rather a measure of your personal sense of self and power... IOW, how you project your will onto others (as opposed to Wisdom, which in some respects measures how difficult it is for others to influence your will).

Divorce "Charisma" from "Comeliness" in your thinking - there are plenty examples of comely people with lousy charisma (think of that obnoxious cheerleader back in high school) and vice versa (think Hitler or Bill Clinton - not trying to compare the two in any fashion other than "charismatic leader/ugly guy"). 1e used to have comeliness. 3e has no such stat.

You (general, not to anyone in particular) might be "hot" as a nypmh but if you retain your geek habits of scratching your butt, failing to wash, and being an obnoxious loudmouth, you're not going to be very charismatic.

--The Sigil

Arcanus

First Post
Gotcha. Charisma has nothing to do with good looks, got it.

does anybody have more ideas on what to change into?

Would the Scent ability that some creatures have be considered a natural ability that would be conferred to you?

adndgamer

First Post
Actually...

Charisma measures a character's force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. It represents actual personal strength, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting.

from page 9 of the PHB. Emphasis mine.

hong

WotC's bitch
adndgamer said:

from page 9 of the PHB. Emphasis mine.

The PHB is allowed to screw up, just like the Sage. :)

Don't tell me how good a vrock looks affects its save DC for its unholy blight.

shilsen

Adventurer
Charisma measures a character's force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. It represents actual personal strength, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting. (PHB, pg.9)

As some people have already mentioned, what Cha primarily measures is the "actual personal strength". Think of it as self-confidence and self-assertiveness. Physical attractiveness can lead to higher self-esteem and confidence and hence a higher Cha, but that's not necessarily the case. As far as the Polymorph spells are concerned, there's no debate - the description says you retain your own Cha, so you do.

Decamber

First Post
Regarding the "physical attractiveness"-part of the Charisma ability... am I thinking too short, or isn't "physical attractiveness" merely a relative word? There is always someone who thinks you (a general term, I'm not talking about you in particular) are good-looking, and other that don't. Right, or have I mi(/e)ssed something?

Remove ads