D&D 5E Polynesian and Indigenous Heroes, Orenda, and Mana

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I have been inspired recently to think about Mana and Orenda and how they could be part of DnD, and broaden the cultural base of the game. In particular I think that a related concept could be a really good basis for the Monk's inner spiritual power.

Mana and Orenda are both, far as I can tell, understood as universal spiritual energy that permeates pretty much everything. Anyone who has played Final Fantasy 7 might recognize the Lifestream concept as a similar idea, turned into a simplified fantasy concept.

But a really important distinction that I think has some serious DnD related legs is, these are not individual power pools. This is a power that you share with others, that is empowered by close connections with others, that exists in the creatures and plants and in the earth itself.

And so, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific ideas, or knows of any good 5e sourcebooks from people from the relevant cultures?

doctorbadwolf

This one was probably too vague, not enough meat to grab onto. I’ll prolly post a new thread on my next day off, after I’ve got some basic ideas in a shape that will make sense outside my own head.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In my 3e Polynesian inspired setting I combined Leadership and Wealth into a Mana/Influence mechanic.

A persons Mana was seen as the amount of influence they had in the community* and thus the willingness of others to give them things eg a person with higher mana would have more access to equipment (wealth).
Furthermore any PCs starting with negative mana were considered servants/slaves aligned to the highest mana PC.

Magic items** were also given Mana thresholds, if you did not have enough mana it was just a mundane item, but would activate if your mana rose higher

* community in this case also includes ancestral spirits and the Tiki-Atua (god totems)
** Magic items are treated as god-totems

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Mana as XP? Defeating challenging foes allows one to cultivate mana. However, defeating foes and threats is not enough. There must be proof of your deed and witnesses, and one must share the tale with an officiant of some capacity (e.g., priest).

Maybe also consider tying the Inspiration mechanic into mana. Maybe mana/XP can be spent for Inspiration, whether for one's self or for others.

Zardnaar

Legend
Mana is kind of like honor and how you carry and conduct yourself.

Bin 5R terms you would have inspiration or perhaps advantage on social skills in your community.

In the 90s met a Maori warden on a bus and you could feel it. He had the bus eating out of his hand and it was almost like a presence people just automatically gave him respect.

That guy had Mana and a high charisma.

doctorbadwolf

Mana as XP? Defeating challenging foes allows one to cultivate mana. However, defeating foes and threats is not enough. There must be proof of your deed and witnesses, and one must share the tale with an officiant of some capacity (e.g., priest).

Maybe also consider tying the Inspiration mechanic into mana. Maybe mana/XP can be spent for Inspiration, whether for one's self or for others.
I’m not sure the bolded is necessary, but I also don’t use XP, and TBH you don’t lose mana by doing cool stuff so spending it to gain inspiration would only work if it’s something that you get back.

doctorbadwolf

Mana is kind of like honor and how you carry and conduct yourself.

Bin 5R terms you would have inspiration or perhaps advantage on social skills in your community.

In the 90s met a Maori warden on a bus and you could feel it. He had the bus eating out of his hand and it was almost like a presence people just automatically gave him respect.

That guy had Mana and a high charisma.

Yeah, sounds like what I’ve read and heard of mana.
Leaders have mana, because their community looks to them and puts their faith in them (don’t mean faith in a religious sense, necessarily). Everyone has it, but it is tied to your community, ancestors, the land even, etc, so folks more in tune with all of that will be like the guy on the bus you met.

At least as I understand it.

Remove ads