Pop-Up Ads - Suspicious Site Detected Warning

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Webmaster(s)

Today, for the first time ever, I started getting "pop-up" adds when visiting ENWorld.

The details (in case its on your end and not mine)

I am using a Nokia 6.1 Android phone. I am using Android 10, with security update May 1, 2020.
I am browsing ENWorld on the Chrome browser in Android.
I was specifically viewing the "People don't like the psionic talent die" thread, reading through multiple pages.

My phone would get a "pop-up" which on the phone is a screen takeover saying I, as a T-Mobile customer had won a prize. The browser or OS itself would then flag as a Suspicious Site and offer me a button to close out the browser section in a separate system window. If I instead used the back button on the phone and continue to read the thread the ad would show back up....happened every 45 seconds to 2 minutes.

I ran an Avast scan on my phone since this happened and it did not find anything out of the ordinary. I also do not use any sideloaded apps or root my phone, or do anything out of the ordinary with my phone.

When the warning popped up, I didn't write down the name of the intruding webpage linked to it, but it was something along the lines of BR*******Y.SPACE (where I can't remember the letters or number of letters replaced by *s)

Currently my phone is no longer popping up when I browse ENWorld so I cannot get you a better name than what I sort of remember from lunchtime today.

Not sure if the error is on your end, but I wanted to let you know about it just in case its something that intruded on you that you haven't seen yet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We don't have any pop-up ads. I've always refused to allow them. And certainly not anything which would know your mobile phone provider. Sounds like your phone has some malware on it. :)

- Webmaster(s) like it's 1995!

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
We don't have any pop-up ads. I've always refused to allow them. And certainly not anything which would know your mobile phone provider. Sounds like your phone has some malware on it. :)

- Webmaster(s) like it's 1995!

I wondered if it would be possible that the banner ads could generate the issue somehow?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wondered if it would be possible that the banner ads could generate the issue somehow?

Well, consider that nobody else has reported this issue, out of the hundreds to thousands that visit the site daily. While not ruling anything out, I'd look to things specific to you, first.

Remove ads