Portable hole: not for storage anymore

lukelightning

First Post
I just noticed that you can't pick up a portable hole if it's got a creature or object inside. So it's no longer a super duper bag of holding, just a super duper instant doorway.

I'm only mildly disappointed; gone are the days of "we need to move this heavy stone sarcophagus? I just happen to have a block and tackle and scafolding!"

Given that the game already has bags of holding and handy haversacks, I'm just as happy with the portable hole being something other than another storage device. :)

Plus, there's just something cartoonishly cool about being able to slap a hole against a wall, climb through it, and pull it in after you. :D

IanArgent

First Post
I'm with the Mouse. I'd look into adding a "folding door" for grins and giggles (same rules effects, essentially, but you start with a cube of mahogany, unfold it, and keep unfolding it until you reach the size you like, open, step through, and close).

lukelightning

First Post
With all the slipping and sliding these days, there is lots of use for the portable door.... put on floor as trapdoor to floor below.... slide enemy into hole, pull up hole, ta da! enemy is now in the basement.

tensen

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Given that the game already has bags of holding and handy haversacks, I'm just as happy with the portable hole being something other than another storage device. :)

Plus, there's just something cartoonishly cool about being able to slap a hole against a wall, climb through it, and pull it in after you. :D

I remember the days when a portable hole in one of the campaign worlds i played in college was designed after the portable hole from the movie Roger Rabbit. So it isn't out of the ordinary for what I'm used to.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mouseferatu said:

That was always the classic use of the portable hole in the old days, so I'm rather pleased to see it return to its roots!

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Mouseferatu said:

On the one hand this about the Portable Hole. On the other... it's always seemed really inappropriate for the genre.

Dungeons and Dragons: Cartoon Rabbits Meet Sword-Wielding Superheroes in Space!

Victim

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
On the one hand this about the Portable Hole. On the other... it's always seemed really inappropriate for the genre.

Dungeons and Dragons: Cartoon Rabbits Meet Sword-Wielding Superheroes in Space!

Like Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments aren't straight out of Road Runner.

reff42

Explorer
If my party clamors for a portable hole, I'll houserule at least that they cannot pull it up from the other side, that way it's a neat thing to do, but doesn't replace the rouge/knock

Mezzer

First Post
reff42 said:
If my party clamors for a portable hole, I'll houserule at least that they cannot pull it up from the other side, that way it's a neat thing to do, but doesn't replace the rouge/knock
Mental images of a huge half-orc with luscious, perky lips all dolled-up in the brightest of crimson, smashing his way through the dungeon come to mind...

I like the new portable hole, it's just so full of uses (pun probably not intended...).

Remove ads