Possible Scoop...Tiefling Page

Aage said:
My guess is that it doesn't mean anything, other than:

Elfs (+dex and +wis) are good rogues because Dexterity is important to rogues, clerics because wisdom is important to clerics and rangers because they have great us of both wis and dex..

Races are a better fit for certain classes, but it doesn't provide a mechanical bonus/penalty...
You're probably right.

Dausuul

Legend
Ugh, did tieflings really have to be the "angsty emo loner" race? I thought that's what dual-wielding drow rangers were for.

Not that I can't tweak it for my campaigns, but it's kind of annoying (also, the Charisma bonus makes no sense in this context). Ah well, the stats look well-executed, and that's the important thing. And it can serve as a "problem player alert." Any time a new player immediately gravitates toward tieflings, I'll know to keep an eye out for wangst .

am181d

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
I find it amusing that "Tiefling-crafted arms and armor often have an archaic style" even though the sword, knife and shield in the accompanying illustration look more like something a 24th Century Klingon would use.

Yup. Thought that was strange too, especially since they talked about Tiefling weapons in R&C and they were anything but traditional middle ages weaponry. My guess is "archaic" means "archaic for tieflings" not "archaic in the real world".

Kordeth

First Post
Dausuul said:
Ugh, did tieflings really have to be the "angsty emo loner" race? I thought that's what dual-wielding drow rangers were for.

Not that I can't tweak it for my campaigns, but it's kind of annoying (also, the Charisma bonus makes no sense in this context). Ah well, the stats look well-executed, and that's the important thing. And it can serve as a "problem player alert." Any time a new player immediately gravitates toward tieflings, I'll know to keep an eye out for wangst .

Tieflings are not emo. If anything, Infernal Wrath and Blood Hunt proves that tieflings are bleeping METAL! :D

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Chris_Nightwing said:
"Random is a Tiefling Rogue.."

Random, seriously?

They do explain that some tieflings are named after virtues or ideals rather than names, if they want to emphasize their break from the old empire. So you could have a Tiefling named Chastity, or Purity, or even Ideal. So it's sort of lame, but it makes sense in context. :)

Engilbrand said:
I think that the bonus ability screams for a Tiefling Paladin. It's like a special form of smite. Honestly, though, these previews are making me salivate. There's even a puddle forming.

Any tiefling defender would be pretty boss.

"Okay, you're Marked. So if you DON'T hit me, you can take this pile of damage. And if you DO hit me, you won't take the pile of damage, but I'll hit you BACK, and I'll hit you HARDER. So what I'm really saying is either way, you're boned. Sucks to be you, guy!"

Their bonuses make them probably better Paladins than Fighters.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Kamikaze Midget said:
So you could have a Tiefling named Chastity, or Purity, or even Ideal. So it's sort of lame, but it makes sense in context. :)
I think a tiefling called Chastity is a great idea. Very Victorian. Maybe the tieflings are British, like the Melniboneans.

Random is still as lame as when Zelazny perpetrated it though.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
The modern names will actually work quite well with my setting. Since it is Victorian-esque and Tieflings are primarily ones who stick to themselves and have a ton of social-stigma around them so they could embrace names like these to try and form an identity (especially prominent idea in my setting since it is dealing with reality being in Flux).

I may alter the names a little, just add a touch more Victorian style.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Dausuul said:

They are the product of devilish influence so the charisma boost makes sense to me. 3.5e devils had all sorts of charisma-based abilities to beguile, influence, stun, etc. If they were demon-spawn I'd agree though.

Kordeth

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
I think a tiefling called Chastity is a great idea. Very Victorian. Maybe the tieflings are British, like the Melniboneans.

You know what's funny, I used this exact concept for a succubus villain in an Eberron game I ran. It's really just too perfect.

Remove ads