Possible Scoop...Tiefling Page

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Dausuul said:
Ugh, did tieflings really have to be the "angsty emo loner" race? I thought that's what dual-wielding drow rangers were for.

Actually, Worlds and Monsters specifically said that they were putting tieflings in because they needed an "angsty emo loner" race and drow had too much history/baggage. ;)

Dausuul

Legend
ppaladin123 said:
They are the product of devilish influence so the charisma boost makes sense to me. 3.5e devils had all sorts of charisma-based abilities to beguile, influence, stun, etc. If they were demon-spawn I'd agree though.

Oh, it makes perfect sense for a devil-touched race to have a Charisma bonus. My point is that it doesn't make sense for a race with a Charisma bonus to be a bunch of angsty, brooding tormented-hero types. ;)

ZombieRoboNinja said:
Actually, Worlds and Monsters specifically said that they were putting tieflings in because they needed an "angsty emo loner" race and drow had too much history/baggage.

They said they wanted an "evil-curious" race, and compared tieflings to "bad boys and girls" in leather jackets riding motorcycles. This does not require Woefulness. If you ask me, tieflings ought to enjoy their dark reputation and play it up every chance they get. What's the point of being a quasi-bad guy if you can't have fun with it?

One more bit of fluff to rewrite...

Tieflings originally had +1 cha, +1 int, -1 wis and -1 str in 2e. So their ability bonuses are about the same in 4e.

Don't really like that tiefling background either, but it works fine in context for the assumed setting as is. Which is one I don't intend on using anyways.

Gloombunny

First Post
Dausuul said:
Oh, it makes perfect sense for a devil-touched race to have a Charisma bonus. My point is that it doesn't make sense for a race with a Charisma bonus to be a bunch of angsty, brooding tormented-hero types. ;)
I dunno. Those tormented broody guys can get some serious action with the right kind of chicks.

I'm more bothered by a race that waddles around with a giant useless tail having a Charisma bonus. I know Charisma isn't just Comeliness with a fancy name, but looking impressive should be part of it. :/

Fallen Seraph

First Post
You know this talk of charisma and Racial bonuses just got me thinking. I am SO glad Half-Orcs won't have -2 in charisma (if they keep their promise of no negative racial traits). It makes no sense that it would be harder for a big, burly Half-Orc to command the attention of those around him, then a ordinary person.

It is a strong Half-Orc afterall, you will take notice and when he speaks with his battleaxe strapped to his back, you will listen.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
am181d said:
Yup. Thought that was strange too, especially since they talked about Tiefling weapons in R&C and they were anything but traditional middle ages weaponry. My guess is "archaic" means "archaic for tieflings" not "archaic in the real world".
Well, I expect that they're archaic because nobody uses them anymore because they're built in such a fashion as to shatter when they collide with anything less yielding than a cantaloupe.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Gloombunny said:
I dunno. Those tormented broody guys can get some serious action with the right kind of chicks.

I'm more bothered by a race that waddles around with a giant useless tail having a Charisma bonus. I know Charisma isn't just Comeliness with a fancy name, but looking impressive should be part of it. :/

Yeah I know several brooding artsy guys who do quite nicely with the ladies. :) As for the tails...actually I think they are on the wrong race. It seems odd to me that the tieflings have tails and the dragonborn don't. Unless there are tail-specific feats I'll probably just pin the tail on the dragon and fix that.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Tieflings originally had +1 cha, +1 int, -1 wis and -1 str in 2e. So their ability bonuses are about the same in 4e.

What 2e are you reading?

My 2e teiflings had their abilities randomized in TABLES, mang! :)

(though mine come from PS, so I dunno if there was another kind that did something different).

Ipissimus

First Post
Zamkaizer said:
Has anyone mentioned that the 4E rulebooks have nice formatting? They do.

Is it just me, or do they seem to have alot in common with the Alternity books?

I can't help but laugh at myself now, though. When the 'Tiefling and Gnome' cartoon came out and she said 'anything that hits me is going to regret it' I thought: YIKES! What in the 9 Hells is a power called 'Infernal Wrath' gonna do to someone? I'll admit, I thought of everything but a +1 to hit... the monsters are quaking in their boots, aye.

Gloombunny

First Post
Ipissimus said:
I can't help but laugh at myself now, though. When the 'Tiefling and Gnome' cartoon came out and she said 'anything that hits me is going to regret it' I thought: YIKES! What in the 9 Hells is a power called 'Infernal Wrath' gonna do to someone? I'll admit, I thought of everything but a +1 to hit... the monsters are quaking in their boots, aye.
Yeah... I'm hoping there'll be some racial feats to beef that up. +1 to hit and +Cha to damage, once per encounter, seems pretty modest even at level one, and as levels pile on that extra 5 or so damage is going to start looking very piddly.

Remove ads