possibly looking for a new system - need recommendations!

kobold

First Post
HeroQuest, it’s simple and elegant and yet can bring in the crunch if that’s what your after. In a creative group the characters are more fun than I’ve encountered with any other game, and the conflict resolution is always exciting – where else can a characters “smoldering sneer” be a useful ability in combat and social conflict. And can be cinematic when they need to be.
Prep time can be kept to a minimum and adjusting on the fly is a breeze- due to the way the rules work. It’s more about the story then the stat blocks.
I’m currently pulling together my Hollowfaust campaign notes and gearing up to start a new game
Currently I think it's only available from the Drivethrurpg site, soon to be back in print in a new addition- I hope.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
Yeah, I've done some reading on Savage Worlds and I think it's currently at the top of my list. To those familiar with the various supplements, where are rules for magic/spellcasting located?
Another vote for Savage Worlds - it's a great game, especially if you like a bit more freewheeling, spontaneous campaigns. But SW spellcasting out of the box is probably the most glaring weakness of SW, so beware.

Cheers, LT.

GlassJaw

Hero
Lord Tirian said:
Another vote for Savage Worlds - it's a great game, especially if you like a bit more freewheeling, spontaneous campaigns. But SW spellcasting out of the box is probably the most glaring weakness of SW, so beware.

I did some reading on the SW forums and it sounds like Solomon Kane has a pretty cool casting mechanic in that it requires a caster check, failure which may result in fatigue or something like that. Seems to be a more lower-magic casting system, which is fine by me.

Flynn, I've gone through some of your thread but could give some basic details on how you handled casting in your game? From what I understand, the ability to cast is Edge-based correct?

Woas

First Post
GlassJaw said:
I did some reading on the SW forums and it sounds like Solomon Kane has a pretty cool casting mechanic in that it requires a caster check, failure which may result in fatigue or something like that. Seems to be a more lower-magic casting system, which is fine by me.

Flynn, I've gone through some of your thread but could give some basic details on how you handled casting in your game? From what I understand, the ability to cast is Edge-based correct?

I'm not Flynn but I can answer how magic works in SW.

"Magic" in Savage Worlds is granted by taking an Edge, which is very close to the role Feats play in D&D. In reality there is only one edge called Arcane Background: X (AB for short). It is the setting that defines what that X is. It could be Arcane Background: Psionics. Or Arcane Background: Mega Zord Action!. Or whatever. It need not actually be "arcane". Its just a place holder.

Most Arcane Backgrounds require a skill to use the powers that the edge grants. There are a few exceptions such as AB: Super Powers. Its assumed most Super heroes/villians can use their powers without fail, but if you wanted to add some sort of failure clause in thats fine too. So anyway, most AB powers require an associated skill. Normally its a "magic" skill that your role. Pass and the spell works. Fail and the spell fizzles. Pass and then some the spell works and then some. Some ABs also have downfalls. AB: Psionics has something where if you fail a psionics skill test the character can get a migraine or the like and take penalties. A GM can add these to ABs, its not just a Solomon Kane thing.
Some other ABs, such as the AB: Weird Science one lets the character make 'gizmos'. If the character were to make some sort of Hypno-Ray the weapon would use a normal Shooting skill to determine success and failure, and could even be giving to other characters to use. If they fail on their skill use while using the gizmo, it breaks.

Also the powers (aka spells) an AB edge grants are open to interpretation. Unlike D&D spells which are rigid... fireball always does Xd6 fire damage, etc. etc. Powers in Savage Worlds are generic like: Bolt. Its a damage spell. Define what it looks like yourself. Whether its a bolt of lightning... vomit... whatever.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Savage Worlds fits all your requirements, even the Class-less requisite... not even True20 really meets this. Even the settings offered (in addition to traditional tropes) are among the most innovative that I have come across.

Aus_Snow

First Post
smootrk said:
Savage Worlds fits all your requirements, even the Class-less requisite... not even True20 really meets this.
From the OP: 'Classless/skill-based characters: I'd prefer a system that is classless but I'd be ok with a system that uses archetypes or generic classes. I don't want specific core classes.'

So True20 fits the first, as well as all the others. Not that I'm invested in either choice, or any other. Just thought I'd point it out, though.

Flynn

First Post
I used the Arcane Background right out of the book. You choose 3 of the powers provided with Magic, or 2 with Miracles, and use your arcane skill roll (your magic skill) to see how success you are. Your power is limited by a Power Pool that recovers at a slow hourly rate.

The system appears to be limiting when you first read it, and in some cases, I suppose it could be, to have so few powers. However, it's often been my experience that players tend to gravitate to only a few specific spells in D&D that they use all the time. SW duplicates that feel pretty well. You can always spend an Edge to get a new power to choose from or more Power Points to spend, too, so becoming more powerful magically is not a problem, if that's what you want to do with your character.

Also, as you've noticed, there are alternate magic systems for SW with some of the settings, and it wouldn't be that hard to convert something like Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth to SW, since it's a skill-based approach to magic.

All told, Savage Worlds is a game that is best played before making a final decision on it. Give it three tries, as either a player or a GM, and then decide. The first time I GM'd it, I fell in love with it, for its extreme ease in prep and in running games off the cuff. It's now my go-to system of choice.

In many ways, it has the versatility of Grim Tales, taken to the next degree. I've played Tron and Paranoia using the SW rules, and I'm running a fantasy campaign that would carries the feel I wanted from my D20 games. I've run a few pulp scenarios, a science fiction scenario, and I haven't even scratched the surface of its versatility.

Oh, and the core rulebook is a complete game for only $10. The toolkits and settings I mention in my thread in response to others' questions are simply icing on the cake, and not needed to enjoy the system in your own personal setting. (I still recommend the bestiaries, but there's also a free one that can cover a lot of bases for you.)

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

malladin

Explorer
I'm going to pimp Savage Worlds as well. Its incredible value and meets your specific criteria, partuicularly the balance between speed of play and tactical depth. Solomon Kane is an excellent product but very focused on creating the Howardian pulp/historical adventure style using SW. Ultimately, I've always found the basic system can handle pretty much anything and the settings and tool kits are good but optional. That said I'm looking forward to reading the copy of Necessary Evil thats just arrived :)

Remove ads