possibly looking for a new system - need recommendations!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
It looks from your other thread that you've already made a decision but I wanted to just reiterate that Savage Worlds fits the bill. I've basically been looking for something that fit the same criteria and recently decided that my next campaign will be Savage Worlds.

Keep us posted on how your game goes!

You might want to consider Mutants and Masterminds, which fits your stated desires pretty well.

While it is primarily a super hero game. Its effects-based point-buy system is really easy to put down as a skeleton under any sort of skin that you want. I've played a Star Wars game and an Eberron game with the Mutants and masterminds system. Both were equally awesome.

In general, prep is pretty quick and easy. For your run of the mill mooks, use either the wide variety of stat-block in the back or make your own in just a few minutes. Basically, you choose the power-level of the NPC. And that number determines his bonuses to saves, skills, attacks, and so on. You can customize by varying up the effects and whatnot, but basically that is all it takes. You can, of course, flesh out your NPCs just like PCs. That takes considerably more time.

You really only need the one book, though Ultimate Power is a mighty hand addition that goes pretty in-depth about power creation.

The action point rules for M&M are excellent. Lending a very cinematic feel to the game. Even for non M&M games, I'd highly recommend looking at the M&M action point rules (called Hero Points).

The system is streamlined out of the d20 rule-set, so there is plenty of tactical fiddly-ness. It is streamlined, though. So... Streamier. Or whatever.

Later
silver

scourger

Explorer
Yep, Savage Worlds. I had a blast with it. The setting I ran was Tour of Darkness. The players really liked it because they could immediately set the scene of the Viet Nam War. SW is a game that can really let you do any genre you want very easily due to coarse granularity of options for GMs. But, it keeps enough fine granularity for players to feel invested and improving. Once I ran the test drive, I was hooked. I can't wait to run another SW game. Give it a try.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Michael Silverbane said:
I've played (. . .) an Eberron game with the Mutants and masterminds system.
Any advice there? Because yeah, that would rawk. :D

I'm quite liking the whole M&M fantasy thing too, but it's a bit of work, and I could always use tips, notes, that kind of thing.

sorry for the t/j, btw. :eek:

Imaro

Legend
Hey if it's not too late, let me suggest Reign by Greg Stolze. It uses the ORE (One Roll Engine) system and meets all of your requirements. The ORE system has already been adapted to other genres, including horror (Nemesis), and Superhero (Godlike & Wild Talents). Nemesis can also be downloaded for free at http://www.nemesis-system.com/ you have to register I believe but it's definitely worth it. If you wan some reviews on reign, well here you go... http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13049.phtml
and here... http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13062.phtml

Mercule

Adventurer
Savage Worlds. If I don't care for 4e, SW will probably end up being my system for fantasy games. Honestly, I think SW may be a better fit for the feel of Eberron than D&D. Which isn't to say you'll be pulled to technomagic in SW -- Conan would probably work better in SW than D&D.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Ick. I've got a bit of a grudge against any system that has a failure mechanic for magical super-niftiness. I'm cool with a cost (in fact I think there should be a cost), but a failure chance is just a recipie for swingy combats most of the time.

Remove ads