• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Post Apocalyptic RPGS?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I think the reason there's no one dominant post-apoc game is pretty simple: each setting is mainly defined by the nature of the world and how it was changed by the apocalypse.

Post-nuke real earth is vastly different than post-zombiepalooza Dragonlance.

MortonStromgal

First Post
I wouldn't say its dominate but my favorite is Desolation Desolation, A Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Roleplaying Game from Greymalkin Designs

I think one reason Midnight doesn't dominate is because as written it's a very desolate setting. The writers say plainly that the PCs can't over throw the Sauron character and everything good is being destroyed--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly but it's a losing battle. The PCs can still be heroic and fight the good fight but I think never being able to win is a turn off to many.

For me it was too much D&D not enough Tolkien. I think its much more Iuz conquers Greyhawk than Sauron conquers Middle Earth. The rules also were very clunky and added more complication to 3rd ed which I'm not a fan of but if I had gotten more Middle Earth less Greyhawk I would have been happier and just ignored or used other mechanics

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
If you want lots of Fallout-esque flavor, in a D20-modern influenced wrapper, Darwin's World.

If you want that in a Savage Worlds wrapper, Darwin's World again.

Lots of adventures and supplements.

malcolypse

First Post
I hadn't thought of this system until a few days ago, when someone mentioned it here on enworld, but The End is a great setting. It's after the biblical judgement, and the players are left on a world that is a very harsh place without deific protection for mankind.

No hope of things getting better, just discovering that survival is hard and life is meaningless and the only thing you have left is yourself and your friends. Bleak barely even begins to cover it.

It uses the 3.0 system, with only one base class, The Meek. They're kinda puny. Combat is deadly and hit points are hard to come by.

Good times.

Remove ads