::pout:: No duelist?

sidonunspa

First Post
So I have been reading posts...

It seems to me a Duelist would be vary hard to make in 4e... sorry Im a swashbuckler at heart, in 3.0 the first thing I did was build a character to take the Duelist PrC....

Are there any options for such a character now?

Peter LaCara

Explorer
sidonunspa said:

It seems to me a Duelist would be vary hard to make in 4e... sorry Im a swashbuckler at heart, in 3.0 the first thing I did was build a character to take the Duelist PrC....

Make a rogue who uses a rapier. Done.

Cadfan

First Post
Define "duelist."

If you mean "guy who fights with a rapier and wears light armor," then a strength based rogue with Weapon Proficiency: Rapier is a good choice. I was skeptical about whether a rogue could adequately function as a duelist character (argued with Mouseferatu about it for a while a few months back), but I've been pleasantly surprised by the possibilities of the rogue class.

Rechan

Adventurer
I say rogue multi-d with fighter, for the Mark ability ("I said fight me, curr!") and a few choice attacks.

But seriously. Rogue. They have the movement, the damage output, and don't get much armor.

Cheesepie

First Post
Not really, but you could get kinda close by making a fighter that multiclasses into ranger for Acrobatics and hunter's quarry, have high Dex, wear light armour, use a greatsword, and focus on heavy blade powers that use your Dex.

Unfortunately, I was looking last night, and there really isn't many that do. :(

Westwind

First Post
I didn't bring my book to work with me and I've been sitting here regretting it for about 3 hours now...

The rapier is a superior weapon now, so you'll have to invest a feat in that, but it's a d8 light weapon that would work well with a lot of rogue powers. There are a lot of trickster rogue powers that struck me as "Swashbuckler-ish" so I can't imagine it would be too difficult to build a duelist type. I'm trying to remember the paragon paths for rogues and neither of the two I'm remembering seem to work, although you could probably get a generous DM to house-rule Dagger-master to Rapier-master.

Pbartender

First Post
sidonunspa said:

Are you kidding?

Play a Rogue... the class is almost custom made for a duelist.

Take a look at the available at-will powers alone:

Deft Strike: Dex vs. AC. Damage + Dex. Move two squares and attack.

Piercing Strike: Dex vs. Reflex. Damage + Dex.

Riposte Attack: Dex vs. AC. Damage + Dex. Attack and get a free Str vs. AC attack against the target, if he attacks you before the start of your next turn.

Sly Flourish: Dex vs. AC. Damage + Dex + Cha.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Peter LaCara said:

This.

Seriously, take a look at the rogue's powers (movement based, trick-based, striking effectively through opponent's armor, gaining combat advantage). At 11, take the Shadow Assassin' Paragon Path.

Rogues make excellent swashbucklers and duelist's right out of the box.

Human Rogue 1

STR 14 (+2)
CON 12 (+1)
DEX 18 (+4)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 11 (+0)
CHA 13 (+1)

AC 16 (Leather Armor), Fort 12, Ref 16, Wis 11

HP: 24
Healing Surges per day: 7
HP healed per surge: 6

Speed 6, Init +4

Skills trained: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Intimidate, Stealth, Thievery

Feats: Rapier Proficiency, Weapon Focus: Rapier (bonus human feat)

At Will Powers: Piercing Strike, Riposte Strike

Per Encounter : Torturous Strike, Reaping Strike

Per Day Powers: Easy Target

Seems pretty swashbucklerish to me... Except maybe for the buckler, which is not in the PHB

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Peter LaCara said:
After the "Rogue"-ampersand, it is very clear that the rogue can hold its own in combat and fills the "light fighter"-niche.

Definitively swashbucklery.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads