Power crit smackdown

tarkin

First Post
You guys are mostly right. I did find ONE error you have made.

The rules for burst weapon do not mention crit multiplier, but instead specify the crit multiplier of the weapon, not the modified crit multiplier

quote:

If the weapon’s critical multiplier is x3, add +2d10 points of bonus fire damage instead, and if the multiplier is x4, add +3d10 points of bonus fire damage

As such, the Burst affect should NOT be increased for the various feats etc. The feats etc. say they increase the weapons critical, NOT weapon critical AND all the other abilities of it.

Just as Keen does not increase the chance of Vorpal attacks, your feats do not raise the flaming burst damage.

This only drops your damage by 1d10, so not much reduction.

I applaud your dramatically powerfull killing blow.

And hereby outlaw Rhino Hide from the games that I DM as broken.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The feat changes the weapon's attribute.

The enchantment is based off the weapon's attribute, so the enchantment is changed by the feat.

When the character is using said weapon, if he has a feat that says "the weapon's multiplier is increased" then the enchantment is based off of the modified multiplier because the multiplier is now different. There is no weapon's "original" or "base" multiplier.

Now charging and rhino armor and spirited charge and all that is a completely different situation.

--Pedantic Spikey

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The rules for burst weapon do not mention crit multiplier, but instead specify the crit multiplier of the weapon, not the modified crit multiplier

While I agree with you, your interpretation is disputed...

They may not consider it an error :)

-Hyp.

abri

Mad Scientist
Ok guys, instead of checking every little details of my example (that I made at work in 2 min), can someon please come up with other smackdown with power crit (I thing with woodland sniper it could be nice, or with frienzied berzerker, or weapon master or a barbarian...)? That's why I started the thread in the first place...

tarkin

First Post
Sorry, CRGreathouse,

The Vorpal and Keen thing is NOT a house rule it is a Sage Interepretation. And used at Gencon.

Also - Smite specifically says it only works with a "regular melee Attack"

Does ANYONE hear think this monstrosity.qualifies as a regular melee attack?

I personally would rule that "Charging" is not a regular melee attack.

Without the Smite, his to-hit is modified down (Power Attack > then his +2 from Charge), he has the AC penalty from charging and the Power Lunge creates an AoO. Considering he is giving up one hasted round to do this (must activate weapon, must activate Divine Might) it no longer seems as broken.

As for the dispputed intrepretation of the Weapon Burst rules - guys his ridiculously huge amount of damage alone is proof in my mind that the only non-broken intrepretation is the weapon base.

Remove ads