Power crit smackdown

SpikeyFreak

First Post
tarkin said:
Sorry, CRGreathouse,

The Vorpal and Keen thing is NOT a house rule it is a Sage Interepretation. And used at Gencon.

Hmm. Strange no one else here knows about that.

Also - Smite specifically says it only works with a "regular melee Attack"

As in, it doesn't work with a trip or grapple.

Does ANYONE hear think this monstrosity.qualifies as a regular melee attack?

According to the rules, yes.

As for the dispputed intrepretation of the Weapon Burst rules - guys his ridiculously huge amount of damage alone is proof in my mind that the only non-broken intrepretation is the weapon base.

Yeah, because that extra d10 is really increasing the damage a lot.

Too bad you weren't around for the original smack-down threads. There are a lot of ways to do 200+ damage per round, and the others I've seen had nothing to do with smite or burst weapons.

abri said:
Ok guys, instead of checking every little details of my example (that I made at work in 2 min), can someon please come up with other smackdown with power crit (I thing with woodland sniper it could be nice, or with frienzied berzerker, or weapon master or a barbarian...)? That's why I started the thread in the first place...

The thing is, you can take anyone with an axe, pick or scyth who already gets a good bonus to damage and come up with a smack down. It would be hard to be better than the one you quoted, and the "smack down" thing has kinda been beat to death, so a lot of people just don't care to even try.

Example:

The Red Pointy Hatted Reaper

Gnome Barbarian 2 /Fighter 4/ Dragon Disciple* 5

Str: 19 + Emp Bulls Str(6) + Tome(+3) + rage(4) + DD level 5(+4) + Size Increase*(+8)= 48
Str mod = +19 x 1.5 for 2 handed = 28

Scythe + 4 (GMW), Power Attack Feat, Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec(Scythe), Power Crit, Educated

On a normal attack with power crit:

2d4 + 28(str) + 4(weapon) +9(power attack) +2(weapon spec)=

(2d4 + 43) x 4 = 8d4 + 172

No rhino hide armor, no smite, no assassin's sense, no burst weapon and 180 damage min.

--Bored Spikey

*This is a ruling by the sage that personally I don't agree with, but as long as we are being munchkin......

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
tarkin said:
Sorry, CRGreathouse,

The Vorpal and Keen thing is NOT a house rule it is a Sage Interepretation.

Would you care to give the Dragon issue and page number for that, or a link to this ruling on the Wizards' website? I have in front of me the D&D Game Rules FAQ (a compilation of Sage Advice), but I don't see any such rulings in its 57 pages.

Orco42

First Post
tarkin said:
Sorry, CRGreathouse,

The Vorpal and Keen thing is NOT a house rule it is a Sage Interepretation. And used at Gencon.

I also have not heard of this and I have been at the last 2 gencons.

I have never seen a sage advise that mentions that.

Just take a look at Mr. Ginsu for some nice vorpal action. :D

oliverhenshaw

First Post
The original example is a paladin right?

The spell Bless Weapon menas that every threat against an evil creature is confirmed.

if Power Crit means you can get an auto threat (albeit once a day) that's nasty..

Remove ads