• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power crit smackdown

SpikeyFreak

First Post
tarkin said:
Sorry, CRGreathouse,

The Vorpal and Keen thing is NOT a house rule it is a Sage Interepretation. And used at Gencon.

Hmm. Strange no one else here knows about that.

Also - Smite specifically says it only works with a "regular melee Attack"

As in, it doesn't work with a trip or grapple.

Does ANYONE hear think this monstrosity.qualifies as a regular melee attack?

According to the rules, yes.

As for the dispputed intrepretation of the Weapon Burst rules - guys his ridiculously huge amount of damage alone is proof in my mind that the only non-broken intrepretation is the weapon base.

Yeah, because that extra d10 is really increasing the damage a lot.

Too bad you weren't around for the original smack-down threads. There are a lot of ways to do 200+ damage per round, and the others I've seen had nothing to do with smite or burst weapons.

abri said:
Ok guys, instead of checking every little details of my example (that I made at work in 2 min), can someon please come up with other smackdown with power crit (I thing with woodland sniper it could be nice, or with frienzied berzerker, or weapon master or a barbarian...)? That's why I started the thread in the first place...

The thing is, you can take anyone with an axe, pick or scyth who already gets a good bonus to damage and come up with a smack down. It would be hard to be better than the one you quoted, and the "smack down" thing has kinda been beat to death, so a lot of people just don't care to even try.

Example:

The Red Pointy Hatted Reaper

Gnome Barbarian 2 /Fighter 4/ Dragon Disciple* 5

Str: 19 + Emp Bulls Str(6) + Tome(+3) + rage(4) + DD level 5(+4) + Size Increase*(+8)= 48
Str mod = +19 x 1.5 for 2 handed = 28

Scythe + 4 (GMW), Power Attack Feat, Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec(Scythe), Power Crit, Educated

On a normal attack with power crit:

2d4 + 28(str) + 4(weapon) +9(power attack) +2(weapon spec)=

(2d4 + 43) x 4 = 8d4 + 172

No rhino hide armor, no smite, no assassin's sense, no burst weapon and 180 damage min.

--Bored Spikey

*This is a ruling by the sage that personally I don't agree with, but as long as we are being munchkin......

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
tarkin said:
Sorry, CRGreathouse,

The Vorpal and Keen thing is NOT a house rule it is a Sage Interepretation.

Would you care to give the Dragon issue and page number for that, or a link to this ruling on the Wizards' website? I have in front of me the D&D Game Rules FAQ (a compilation of Sage Advice), but I don't see any such rulings in its 57 pages.

Orco42

First Post
tarkin said:
Sorry, CRGreathouse,

The Vorpal and Keen thing is NOT a house rule it is a Sage Interepretation. And used at Gencon.

I also have not heard of this and I have been at the last 2 gencons.

I have never seen a sage advise that mentions that.

Just take a look at Mr. Ginsu for some nice vorpal action. :D

oliverhenshaw

First Post
The original example is a paladin right?

The spell Bless Weapon menas that every threat against an evil creature is confirmed.

if Power Crit means you can get an auto threat (albeit once a day) that's nasty..

Remove ads