Power crit smackdown

abri

Mad Scientist
Got my MOTW yesterday and I'am wondering about how nasty power crit can really be (thinking about limiting it in some way.).
But first let's see what we can do with it.
So let's smackdown!!!
Let's keep it around Lv12 and assume good stats, any books allowed.

Here's my first idea:
Paladin 12: Total of 6 feats. Str 18 Cha 18
Power attack, weapon focus, power crit (pickaxe), impr crit (pickaxe), divine might, and power lunge.
You have a +1 fire-burst pickaxe, rhino hide and a potion of extended assassin sense, potion of haste.
The cleric has cast a GMW on you and empowered bull’s strength (Str24). You have cast eagle splendor on yourself (Cha 22)…
You drink the haste potion, then the other potion in the surprise round. In the first round you use divine might, you charge, use power lunge, smite and power critical, and power attack for 12 pts
So base is 1d6+ 10 (Str)+7 (lunge)+4 (GMW)+12 (smite)+12 (power attack)+6 (divine might)=1d6+47
Chances are you confirm the crit: x(4 [pick axe],+1 rhino hide,+1 assassin sense)=x6
The burst effect takes place: +4d10.
So that’s 6d6+4d10+282, in average 330 pts of damage, minimum of 292 pts!
Your hit bonus is + 20 with the power attack so might need a bless and or divine favor…
Can get even more interesting with more cleric spell.
Of course against construct or elemental it doesn’t work

Note that in the next few rounds, you still crit on a 18+ or 17+ with a keen spell, for about 200 pts each time. SO the character is still very dangerous after the smackdown.

MeanGenes

First Post
What does power critical do?

I'm picking up MOTW this weekend, and the little munchkin in me can't wait to find out what it does. :)

Also, can you tell me what Greater TWF does?

Much appreciated.

tarkin

First Post
I am pretty sure you did the strength wrong and not sure that you can do all those thigns together.

Strength bonus for Rhino Hide, Power Lunge, Spirited Charge, two handed weapon use, and Samuria Blades of Death, are all REPLACIVE, and thus are not cumulative with each other. (As per Errata and sage clarificiation.)

Also, I am pretty sure you totally did the Crit change wrong - although I do not know what Power Crit does.

Without Power Crit, I think all you would do is crit multiplier x your 1d6+strength, NOT the Smite, Power Attack, or Divine Might (all get applied after crit)

The burst crit is simply 1d10 NOT 4d10. without Power Crit

SpikeyFreak

First Post
tarkin said:
I am pretty sure you did the strength wrong and not sure that you can do all those thigns together.

Strength bonus for Rhino Hide, Power Lunge, Spirited Charge, two handed weapon use, and Samuria Blades of Death, are all REPLACIVE, and thus are not cumulative with each other. (As per Errata and sage clarificiation.)

Also, I am pretty sure you totally did the Crit change wrong - although I do not know what Power Crit does.

Without Power Crit, I think all you would do is crit multiplier x your 1d6+strength, NOT the Smite, Power Attack, or Divine Might (all get applied after crit)

A lot of what you said isn't how it works.

With a critical, any damage bonus that is a constant (eg str bonus, power attack, smite, etc) does get multilpied.

Anything that is random (other than the weapon's damage) doesn't get multiplied (eg sneak attack damage).

And burst affects increase as the weapon multiplier increases. A x2 crit mult weapon does +1d10, a x3 crit weapon gets +2d10, and x4 crit weapon gets +3d10, etc.

At a glance all of what he did looked correct to me. I haven't looked at it in much detail though.

--Corrective Spikey

Last edited:

Jairami

First Post
tarkin said:

Rhino Hide doesn't modify strength, and he didn't stack two handed weapon use with power lunge so your first correction which may or may not be correct is irrelevant.

Pick's are x4, the spell increases it to x5, the armor to x6 (associative property? My algebra is sketchy...), so no he didn't totally do the crit change wrong as you put it.

Power attack, smite, divine might, and strength all multiply in a crit. The general rule for your future knowledge is, extra dice do not multiply, extra damage does.

And finally, burst criticals are 1d10 on a x2 weapon, 2d10 on a x3, 3d10 on a x4, and in the created instance of a x5 weapon which the spell creates, 4d10.

Now admittedly, I'm going without my books here, but come on..

Edit: Erk.. Too slow. --Redundant Jeremy

(2+1) x 5 = 15 x 2 = 30
(2+1) x 6 = 18

Hmmmm... Definately not equal, so I guess you'd have to figure it out individually with the crit and then double it. That's nasty.

Last edited:

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Abri: I think you forgot to mention a spell. Why did you say you will likely confirm the crit? Are you assuming that you will crit? That's a pretty tall order with a pick.

You can use my spreadsheet (if you have Excel) to figure out what the damage would be. If you put in all the info, you can see what the damage dice and bonuses will add up to.

Here's a link: www.geocities.com/babcalc/index.html
Just go to downloads and get the spreadsheet.

--Plug Spikey

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Jairami said:
Pick's are x4, the spell increases it to x5, the feat to x6, so no he didn't totally do the crit change wrong as you put it.

Power Critical does not raise the crit multiplier. What it does is allow, once per day, your next attack to automatically threaten a critical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prereq: +12 Bab, Improved Crit w/ weapon and proficiency.

benefit: Once per day you can declare a single melee attack with your chosen weapon to be an automatic threat before you make your attack roll. If the attack is successful, you roll to confirm the criticial regardless of whether the actual attack roll was a threat...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Remove ads