• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Gaming vs Role Playing

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't understand why people seem to think these are on the same axis. They are independent. How well you roleplay and how much you apply system mastery are not related.

I love to roleplay. I can be overheard having conversations with myself as I try our voice, nuances, and beliefs for a character. I can spend the whole session having in-character conversation with other players, and perhaps do it too often. I'll do things that are awesome and in-character. I'll skip doing things that are awesome but not in character. I've done plenty of stupid things and lived (or not) with the consequences because that's what my character would do. The main place I pull it in is if it impacts other peoples fun - I try not to grandstand or grab the spotlight too much. And while some intra-party drama like convincing the honorable paladin to ambush someone can add some good RP if everyone is up for it, I avoid PvP like the plague.

I also enjoy having a high level of expertise in the mechanics. I build effective characters. I can optimize and min-max, and my characters are usually very good at whatever I want them to do and also good at surviving. Sometimes it's acting as a force multiplier for the party like a great battlefield controller, amazingly durable tank (not as much in 5e), or support character that brings everyone up to 11. Sometimes it's more direct, like a damage-focused archer. The main place I pull it in is if it impacts other peoples fun - I try not to grandstand or grab the spotlight too much here either. I've detuned characters to match the general party level of effectiveness, I've avoided combinations that are cheesy even if my character could do them.

I usually ended up more "Real Roleplayer" than "Real Munchkin" if anyone remembers those lists, though more of both of them than "Real Men" or "Real Loonies".

So I rate myself highly on both roleplaying and optimization. They are not mutually exclusive, diametrically opposed, or opposites.

Oh, and I encourage all players to become better in both, and also not to be jerks with either.

PrometheanVigil

First Post
Moderator edit.

Insults, attacks, using masked profanity as a weapon, and more. Completely unacceptable. It's also really long. I'm putting it in an sblock.

-Darkness,
EN World moderator

[sblock]
I have been following a thread, where some diametrically opposing views on how a D&D (non specific on edition) should be played. The Power gaming faction wants to exclude characters and even their weapon choices f they aren't max out to the most powerful possible, even down to calling character creation a "build". As can be imagined, this has created some not so polite responses from traditional role players. The key thing that has come out, is the two factions are not playing the size game. The fact the system can be used for the two games is a credit to the system, however doesn't, change the validity of both types of games and the position taken on both. I think we all need to take a step back and realise the two games actually are mutually exclusive, with alot of grey in between. It does however put a responsibility on DM to explain how his game will be played, and also to advise new players the game is played a variety of different ways. Would hate neophytes to be put off completely, as the as the style of play ill suits them.

Power-gaming is fine, as in optimizing your character to fit a certain "build" or niche. Role-playing is something that is, obviously, a soft skill instead of a hard skill like good stat combos. Generally, your average player is not likely to be good with this (if they were, they probably wouldn't be playing RPGs being 100% real) As a result, role-playing should always be considered a great-to-have but not absolutely critical. At the end of the day, the most important aspect of "RPG" is the *game* part and even if the given game a particular table heavily emphasizes cooperation, you are all ultimately trying to *win* it and *prevail* against obstacles and challenges the GM throws at you.

My response to those who wish to argue, always remember the first rule of D&D: Never tell a player how to play their character.

If you are a power gamer, then be a power gamer. If not, then not.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

:):):):):):):):). Of course you can tell a player how to play their character -- especially as GM.

Power gaming and role-playing don't have to be in opposition, though sadly you are right that they often are. Some of the best role-players I've met were also power gamers. The key take away from such discussions is, first, that each player only has a right to say how his own player character should be built and played. And second, when you have players at the table with different aesthetics of play (the formal name for the two different 'games' you've noticed), that each side needs to compromise just a little bit to ensure everyone has fun. That means that the role-players have to at least not make incompetent characters, but play characters that can legitimately contribute to party success and which try to contribute to party success. And it means that the power gamers have to role-play in situations were role-play is warranted and at least not try to disrupt role-play when it occurs. Often I find that powers gamers will realize at some point that role-playing is a very powerful tool for advancing their character's interests and problem solving, and that role-players will realize that competent characters live longer and as a result are more likely to have the grand story arcs that they desire.

Some of the players at my club have come up with a phrase that describes the right way to play RPGs: "Don't split the Skills!"

You need to have that mindset going in. Across all games I've GM'd and played in (I'm swinging it a heavy 80/20 bias here in terms of "games", where actual sessions *played* would marginal compared to GM'd). It doesn't matter if it's World of Darkness, Pathfinder, Edge of the Empire, HERO, Shadowrun or any other system, this is a golden rule throughout and it's something that is based in real-world If you're a day trader, you're going to be REALLY :):):):)ING GOOD at spotting trends in the maket to capitalize on instead of just so-so because you, like, have a thing for botany as well.

This is not saying you CAN'T do different things game-wise, this is simply saying if you're going to swing a sword, :):):):)ing know how to swing a godamm sword, :):):):):):):)! There will be no compromise on that AT ALL.

Optimized or non-optimized, all I care about as a DM is if you’re having fun, not infringing on the fun of anyone else (including me), and your character is interesting to DM for. If your character has no personality, no hook, or is just a collection of numbers and abilities designed solely to “win the game,” that's when I have a problem.

Celebrim is right about compromise being a part of it. Regardless of play styles, the players need to know that everyone has to have their moments in the spotlight and people have different definitions of what’s fun in the game.

Spotlight is fleeting. If I as GM am having to *force* spotlight on players, there's a problem there. Now, most times if I have a player like that, I look at them like the military might look at a raw recruit: you gotta break em' down so you can build em' back up! Get them playing with the team, get them to think how to help out, get them planning what actions to take and, most of all, get their confidence up. This works most of the time -- in those cases where it doesn't, I've done what I can and that player is just not going to make the cut. Thankfully, this is not a regularly occurrence in the slightest and those players that have been successfully upgraded have gone on to upgrade other players and their own games.

To keep it simple: spotlight is earned, not given.

Yeah, I still don't understand why you can't powergame and roleplay at the same time. I can say as a fact that they are NOT mutually exclusive, because in my groups we play like that almost all the time.

In my experience, what people often disagree on is what constitutes roleplaying. Usually if someone is roleplaying the way another person thinks is "correct," they don't care so much if they're powergaming/minmaxing/optimizing/whatever. Not to try to place blame or take sides, but in actual games I've played in, what I see more often is self-proclaimed "roleplayers" complain about others not roleplaying the way they expect. Only one time in a game did I have someone get really upset because a few others weren't optimizing/powergaming the way they expected them to, and even that turned out okay in the end. Usually, the people I play with are the kind of folks who just naturally tend to have the same philosophy as I do about the game ... you can do one or the other a lot, or both, or neither, and we'll all work together to help you to have fun playing the game the way you like to play it.

Not trying to say one way or the other is right; it's just my observation. Like I said, I see no reason whatsoever why someone can't optimize the heck out of their character and still roleplay - they're two entirely different parts of the game that are in no way mutually exclusive, and to me that's one of the reasons I love RPGs.

Unfortunately, you have to break your average experienced player out of that mindset. A lot of them have had :):):):):):) GMs or have gamed alongside :):):):):):) players.

Also, the fragile "artiste" type or undercover snooty crybaby is just generally someone to boot from your games anyway. SUCK IT DOWN!

I find spotlight hogging to be bad form regardless of whether it manifests as excessive powergaming or excessive incompetence, no roleplaying or entirely selfish roleplaying. RPGs for me are about coperation and collaboration more than competition and adversarial play.

Everyone in a group needs to be sufficiently compatible to sustain the game for its duration. There are no hard and fast rules to ensure this, I've seen groups that seemed fine on paper explode in practise, and groups that never should have worked gel together somehow. On the other hand, these are the rarities, normally careful groundwork and player selection based on similar mutual RPG preferences do help to produce a successful group.

One of the best things about running a club is -- most of the time -- my players act as a "filter" just by themselves. They are so bloody friendly and so about bringing people in and getting them right into the game but if they smell :):):):):):):):), they're going to call that person on it (this is usually somebody who ISN'T new to RPGs). Now that could be polite remarks or full-blown "WHAT THE :):):):)!" (god, I love those moments) but it means :):):):) players are usually dumped pretty quickly. Most awesomely, 90% of people walking through our doors are great people, decent blokes and ladynerds but there are just some who come in and would have been better off in a circlejerk. I have zero tolerance for :):):):):):):):) and the continued success of the clubs means that's obviously the tight approach.

Being - or self-defining as - a power gamer is a philosophical background to how one approaches the game as a whole (which, in my opinion, can be argued), rather than just how one plays an individual character (which, as you correctly note above, cannot). Big, big difference.

Lanefan

Philosophical how?

..Regardless of whether you choose to build an 'optimized' or 'cool concept' PC, I have always found that the role-playing is done AFTER character creation.

No :):):):).

Best thing to do is make sure BOTH are reconciled BEFORE starting the game, though.

In my opinion, it totally depends on your group. As long as everyone is having fun, then mix and match playstyles at will. If someone doesn't overly enjoy roleplaying in character and is a beast in combat, then why not? As long as said player doesn't interrupt the flow of non-combat activities or belittles other players who don't play their characters as effectively as he does.

For my own enjoyment, I would prefer players who play an actual *character* and not what MMORPGers call a "toon" or a stick with stats. I'd also want to have players make cohesive characters who actually make sense. As strong and interesting as your character build might be, it doesn't make too much sense to use backgrounds that contradict each other or to belong to two factions who openly oppose each other. I'd also stay away from playing quarter-races if they are only included to allow a certain build. But that's my personal red line on munching and over-constructing a character.

On the other hand, I'd also be careful to not have a "klutz character" in your group that someone builds as a polar opposite to the seemingly bad power-gamer. Playing a character with weaknesses is great, playing a character that's weaker in combat or outside a city or without bodyguards (hello bard!^^) is fine as well, but having a character "sabotage" certain areas of play just because they are not his or her main interest just isn't fair to others. If you don't enjoy combat or want to solve stuff diplomatically, totally legit. I'm a diplomancer myself. I also enjoy a good fight. Just sort it out in character, help your group and discuss it afterwards.

I've received "concerns" from over a dozen different players throughout my time GM'ing and I always find myself simply telling those players to figure it out. Again, if you want to play your "amazing" concept then that's fine but don't then come moan and whine about other players overshadowing your PC mechanically -- honestly, they'd most likely overshadow you anyway (and that's actually been the case more than once!).

At the end of the day, the most I could ask for in terms of background for a character and why they do what they do is "I need dat bread: I got rent to pay". That's it -- that's all! If that's the reason you're running home invasions on orc strongholds, murdering them, grabbing their :):):):) and then pawning it off while LOLolloing away into the sunset and back to town, :):):):)ing A. That's, like, one of the best, most simple, most authentic reasons ever. Nobody gives a :):):):) if you want to play persuasionator with a really fa-un-cy background and then you play like :):):):) and :):):):) up the game for everyone else when it counted (tense negotiations over major trade disputes between kingdoms, perhaps?).

I don't understand why people seem to think these are on the same axis. They are independent. How well you roleplay and how much you apply system mastery are not related.

I love to roleplay. I can be overheard having conversations with myself as I try our voice, nuances, and beliefs for a character. I can spend the whole session having in-character conversation with other players, and perhaps do it too often. I'll do things that are awesome and in-character. I'll skip doing things that are awesome but not in character. I've done plenty of stupid things and lived (or not) with the consequences because that's what my character would do. The main place I pull it in is if it impacts other peoples fun - I try not to grandstand or grab the spotlight too much. And while some intra-party drama like convincing the honorable paladin to ambush someone can add some good RP if everyone is up for it, I avoid PvP like the plague.

I also enjoy having a high level of expertise in the mechanics. I build effective characters. I can optimize and min-max, and my characters are usually very good at whatever I want them to do and also good at surviving. Sometimes it's acting as a force multiplier for the party like a great battlefield controller, amazingly durable tank (not as much in 5e), or support character that brings everyone up to 11. Sometimes it's more direct, like a damage-focused archer. The main place I pull it in is if it impacts other peoples fun - I try not to grandstand or grab the spotlight too much here either. I've detuned characters to match the general party level of effectiveness, I've avoided combinations that are cheesy even if my character could do them.

I usually ended up more "Real Roleplayer" than "Real Munchkin" if anyone remembers those lists, though more of both of them than "Real Men" or "Real Loonies".

So I rate myself highly on both roleplaying and optimization. They are not mutually exclusive, diametrically opposed, or opposites.

Oh, and I encourage all players to become better in both, and also not to be jerks with either.

This is a good starting point and it's great to see you've tipped your hat to mechanical efficacy since that's the point of all this "role-playing" at the end of the day. You are most likely probably quite well liked among your group/s and a go-to guy of sorts, I'm guessing?[/sblock]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lylandra

Adventurer

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Some of the best role-players I've known also show some incredible and creative character building skills. What you're describing seems like a combination I've witnessed and enjoyed myself as both a GM and player. If you wish to describe it in gaming terms, such a player would excel at RP-PvE.
And I guess your preferred playing style and behaviour and mine would match quite well :)

However, from my experience there are certain extremes of min-maxing or munchkining that make stringent, cohesive role-playing difficult. For example, back in 4e there was a certain char-op cookie cutter paragon path which was based on the Sigil Faction Mercykillers (if I remember correctly). Now that PP makes sense when you play Planescape or anything plane-based, but doesn't really fit into a Dark Sun setting, especially when you combine it with a race which originated from Eberron. But I guess those are the overly cheesy combinations you were talking about.

This is a good starting point and it's great to see you've tipped your hat to mechanical efficacy since that's the point of all this "role-playing" at the end of the day. You are most likely probably quite well liked among your group/s and a go-to guy of sorts, I'm guessing?

That hugely depends on your personal preference. I've played and enjoyed non-system based role-playing as well as rules-heavy tactical combat. In the end, for me the point of "all this role-playing" is to play a part in a great story, lead an interesting personality throughout the tale, solve problems along the way and kind of put your mark on the world you're living in. How you achieve this goal can vary greatly - from defeating the demon prince of the undead in Rappan Athuk to negotiating between warring factions without rolling a single die roll (because sometimes players have ideas and plans that are just too awesome to ignore) to playing slow-paced slice of life flicks in a Mafia clan.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I don't mind GMing for power gamers if their chars have personalities, which mostly is the case. I don't want to play with or GM for people who see their chars just as chess pieces. I don't want power gamers to sneak into my story driven games, but I do not want Bauerngamers (farmer gamers, German term) in my games,either, when the campaign calls for and has clearly been advertised as made for optimized chars. It's not that hard to make chars who are at least competent, but there are some people who always build tragic, impotent chars and then hinder the group.

It indeed doesn't have to be exclusively one thing or the other. I think people who really just want to try out builds though might have a hard time finding a group who lets them do that. Power gaming, for some, is the ultimate evil.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
PrometheanVigil said:
Philosophical how?
Philosophical in that a (stereotypical) powergamer will often approach the creation of any character with a mindset of where there's any conflict between optimization and characterization/personality/backstory, optimization will always prevail and the rest will just have to bend to suit. A role-player will sacrifice some optimization to suit the other stuff.

Philosophical in that a (stereotypical) powergamer might be in it to win it - the approach is to be the best and outshine the rest...or to be the best and then be annoyed when others at the table don't follow suit. A role-player might be in it to be the most entertaining, perhaps, but character takes precedence over numbers.

Philosophical in that a (stereotypical) powergamer might be getting their character (build) ideas, tips and tricks from char-ops boards. A role-player needs not these things and may or may not know they even exist.

Philosophical in that a (stereotypical) powergamer might see the game as a competitive arms race vs. an untrusted or unknown DM. A role-player either trusts the DM to more or less scale things to what the party can handle or (in a sandbox-type game) trusts his-her own judgement on whether the character or party has bitten off more than it/they can chew.

So, yes: philosophical.

Lan-"that said, every now and then a role-player might stumble on to a reasonably good build by sheer luck; as has happened to me once or twice"-efan

pemerton

Legend
"Power gaming" is mostly an artefact of system design: where mechanical effectiveness depends upon putting together bits and pieces from lists, some people will be better at spotting combinations than others.

RPGs that don't involve this sort of granular, bottom-up-from-lists PC building, don't really have a power gaming issue.

For games like D&D that do have the issue, it can be handled by changing the lists, by voluntary restraint, by GM override, by just letting it happen, etc. Which is best for a given table will depend on the peculiarities of that table.

innerdude

Legend
I read through [MENTION=6703801]PrometheanVigil[/MENTION] 's response. The tone is fairly representative of "that other RPG forum site" that I generally refuse to frequent, specifically because most of the conversation is in this general vein.

But aside from that, I also have to disagree generally with most of the stated opinions.

It seems in his opinion that power gaming is the "true" way to game, that "roleplaying" serves only a secondary (at best) function to the actual point of roleplaying which is to "bring the awesome, ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!" (Because obviously, playing an arms race with your GM is the truest way to gaming satisfaction.)

His response to [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] here:

. . . it's great to see you've tipped your hat to mechanical efficacy since that's the point of all this "role-playing" at the end of the day . . .

feels narrow-minded at best, and actively hostile to players looking for character-driven play at worst.

But ultimately, as [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] said upthread, these are fundamentally separate axes, or spectra, or continuums. The quality of play in one axis really has absolutely no bearing on the quality of play in the other axis, and the only thing stopping the two from excellently coexisting is the attitude that A) they fundamentally cannot coexist, and anyone claiming that they can is already setting up a game for failure, or B) that making allowances for one axis or the other somehow "diminishes" the fun for the other.

That said, it's been my experience that the "power gamers" are generally more hostile to changing their ways than the "roleplayers." I think this stems (once again, just from my own experience) from "roleplaying" players' general view that their brand of fun can coexist in a multitude of ways across a variety of RPG experiences. Most "roleplaying" gamers I know are more open to changing systems, trying new things, while still being open to increasing their mechanical effectiveness if the situation calls for it.

"Power gamers" in my experiences have been much more rigid---they're highly opposed to changing systems regularly, because it diminishes the value of their system mastery. Typically a power gamer has latched on to one, maybe two systems that they know inside and out, and generally will not play outside of them. Their "fun" only comes from a single locus within the game, and doing anything that disrupts that locus feels onerous and is pretty much a non-starter.

Given the choice, I'd much rather have a table full of "roleplayers" that need a little help becoming more mechanically effective than a table full of "power gamers" that need help creating more well-rounded characters. Because once a "roleplayer" character becomes more effective, they've by default become more effective in both axes. As [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] said, just because you give a "power gamer" a well-rounded character doesn't mean they're going to take on the attitude, or philosophy of playing that character in like fashion.

But then of course, the best players are those that are good at both.

pemerton

Legend
these are fundamentally separate axes, or spectra, or continuums. The quality of play in one axis really has absolutely no bearing on the quality of play in the other axis
What RPGs are we talking about?

In Marvel Heroic RP, XP can be spent to change or boost PC abilities. XP are earned by completing "milestones". Here is one of Nightcrawler's milestones:

Romantic:
1 XP when you woo an ally or enemy.
3 XP when you spend a Transition Scene with a romantic entanglement.
10 XP when you either break off a romantic relationship, or seek to enter into a more permanent partnership and ask your love to marry you.​

The first time the "powergamer" in my group played a session of MHRP, he played Nightcrawler. The other PCs were Bobby Drake (Iceman) and James Rhodes (War Machine). The session started with Nightcrawler suggesting a trip to a night spot. Being a good GM, the women whose table the heroes joined at the bar were the members of B.A.D (Black Mamba, Asp and Diamondback) - and they were particularly keen to get details of some Stark tech from Rhodes. Nightcrawler wooed one of them; then had a romantic "entanglement" with her; then - at least partly in order to keep her from trying to steal a Stark-produced orbital/reentry vehicle - teleported her to the top of the Capitol Dome where he proposed to her - only to abandon her! (Fuller session write-up here.)

That seems to me to count as roleplaying, by any definition. (If a somewhat more cynical version of Nightcrawler than I'm accustomed to from Chris Claremont.)

It's also powergaming - in one session that player, by seeing opportunities to play to his character's milestones, and then exploiting them, earned more XP than the other players over two or three sessions.

Another example would be Burning Wheel: to succeed at most challenging tasks in BW requires spending metagame resources (fate points, and "persona points" which are another type of fate point). These points are earned by doing things like fulfilling a PC goal; making a choice or performing an action during play that expresses one of your PC's Beliefs; playing out the conflict between Beliefs forced by a particular choice your PC has to make; etc. So any player wanting to powergame BW has to look for, and create, opportunities to roleplay their character in these various ways.

Even 5e D&D allows for this sort of thing: play to your bonds/flaws etc to get Inspiration to grant advantage to power your GWM/SS -5 to hit (or your sneak attack, or whatever).

Or going back to AD&D, if a GM used the rules for gaining experience levels by training then, if you didn't play your PC in accordance with class and alignment (eg, to quote p 86 of Gygax's DMG, "[c]lerics who refuse to help and heal or do not remain faithful to their deity, fighters who hang back from combat or attempt to steal, or fail to boldly
lead, magic-users who seek to engage in melee or ignore magic items they could employ in crucial situations, thieves who boldly engage in frontal attacks or refrain from acquisition of an extra bit of treasure when the opportunity presents itself, "cautious" characters who do not pull their own weight"), you had to pay a lot more for training.

So I don't agree that, in general, RP and powergaming are not related. This is true in some systems (eg 3E D&D; Rolemaster; Traveller) but not in general.

Lylandra

Adventurer
What RPGs are we talking about?

In Marvel Heroic RP, XP can be spent to change or boost PC abilities. XP are earned by completing "milestones". Here is one of Nightcrawler's milestones:

Romantic:
1 XP when you woo an ally or enemy.
3 XP when you spend a Transition Scene with a romantic entanglement.
10 XP when you either break off a romantic relationship, or seek to enter into a more permanent partnership and ask your love to marry you.​

The first time the "powergamer" in my group played a session of MHRP, he played Nightcrawler. The other PCs were Bobby Drake (Iceman) and James Rhodes (War Machine). The session started with Nightcrawler suggesting a trip to a night spot. Being a good GM, the women whose table the heroes joined at the bar were the members of B.A.D (Black Mamba, Asp and Diamondback) - and they were particularly keen to get details of some Stark tech from Rhodes. Nightcrawler wooed one of them; then had a romantic "entanglement" with her; then - at least partly in order to keep her from trying to steal a Stark-produced orbital/reentry vehicle - teleported her to the top of the Capitol Dome where he proposed to her - only to abandon her! (Fuller session write-up here.)

That seems to me to count as roleplaying, by any definition. (If a somewhat more cynical version of Nightcrawler than I'm accustomed to from Chris Claremont.)

It's also powergaming - in one session that player, by seeing opportunities to play to his character's milestones, and then exploiting them, earned more XP than the other players over two or three sessions.

Another example would be Burning Wheel: to succeed at most challenging tasks in BW requires spending metagame resources (fate points, and "persona points" which are another type of fate point). These points are earned by doing things like fulfilling a PC goal; making a choice or performing an action during play that expresses one of your PC's Beliefs; playing out the conflict between Beliefs forced by a particular choice your PC has to make; etc. So any player wanting to powergame BW has to look for, and create, opportunities to roleplay their character in these various ways.

Even 5e D&D allows for this sort of thing: play to your bonds/flaws etc to get Inspiration to grant advantage to power your GWM/SS -5 to hit (or your sneak attack, or whatever).

Or going back to AD&D, if a GM used the rules for gaining experience levels by training then, if you didn't play your PC in accordance with class and alignment (eg, to quote p 86 of Gygax's DMG, "[c]lerics who refuse to help and heal or do not remain faithful to their deity, fighters who hang back from combat or attempt to steal, or fail to boldly
lead, magic-users who seek to engage in melee or ignore magic items they could employ in crucial situations, thieves who boldly engage in frontal attacks or refrain from acquisition of an extra bit of treasure when the opportunity presents itself, "cautious" characters who do not pull their own weight"), you had to pay a lot more for training.

So I don't agree that, in general, RP and powergaming are not related. This is true in some systems (eg 3E D&D; Rolemaster; Traveller) but not in general.

I agree that it depends on the system and I guess [MENTION=6777214]Grandvizier[/MENTION] in his OP specifically meant systems which don't provide mechanical benefits for roleplaying.

For systems which do the latter, I'm a bit torn. I generally like the idea of giving "Power Gamers" (or any player in that matter) a reason to heavily invest in roleplaying their character. I also like the idea that such systems provide a mechanical pedestral for those players who like to roleplay a lot but are not too good when it comes to character building. But those "system-based benefits" are extrinsic motivations for ropleplaying, other than the intrinsic value of feeling good and having fun while portraying a memorable character.
Coming from an education background, extrinsic motivators (like making a trip to Disneyland for getting good grades) do work to achieve a certain set of behaviours, but they can diminish the overall enjoyment of a task (i.e. learning about physics).

However, for my own group the reason why giving mechanical rewards for good roleplay, connecting with your bonds, playing your flaws etc. doesn't work too well is because I'd have to hand them out all the time. Literally. Because they have just too much fun roleplaying their charactres. And as my players are already good character builders on top of that, overwhelming them with "luck dice" or other benefits (we play PF, so no inspiration per se) would make it even harder for me to challenge them mechanically.

Celebrim

Legend
As some one who is a DM most of the time, I confess I could care less about Real Men attitudes in general. As the DM, it's my job to lose. Good DM's are like Buzz Lightyear. We may look like we are flying, but really we are just falling with style. In our case though, it's not because we can't win. It's because winning is trivial. We have unlimited resources. We not only have unlimited resources, we basically make up the rules. Generating a TPK is trivial.

There is absolutely no fun for a DM in competing with the players. I can enjoy their high fives when they think they've beaten me by being really cunning. I have fun when the players have fun. Part of that those is not telling them that I left the red self-destruct button in the scene for them to find on purpose. It's sort of like Half-life II. That clever plan that they came up with was actually just them solving the puzzle I intended for them to solve using the resources I provided them with.

For a DM, there is no two axis about it. DMs don't play on the Real Men's 'Powering Gaming' Axis that PrometheanVigil advocated so passionately about. "Don't split the skills" is largely meaningless advice to the DM. It's a discussion of how a group wants to approach solving problems and the sort of problems that they expect to face. And I can give it to them, with mustard and a side of fries. But it's not, save for the vicarious thrill of watching them have fun, how DMs have fun. DMs have fun by jointly constructing a story. And ultimately, if the players have no interest in that, then from the DMs perspective, they are pretty pathetic players.

Much talk has been made in the RPG world about skillful DMing - and that's fully appropriate. The GM is the most important person at the table. Comparatively little talk has been made about being a skillful player, leaving players with the impression that all that matters is them having fun.

As a DM, I have no problem with a mixed cast of RPers and "Real Men" (or Power Gamers if you will) at the table. But there are skillful RPers, and skillful "Real Men", and by that I don't mean just system mastery. I mean the ability to engage the whole of the game and assist everyone in having fun. As a DM, I want - really sincerely and honestly want - at least some players with high system mastery and good tactical ability. If you don't have anyone at the table with high system mastery and good tactical ability, it vastly reduces the sort of challenges and stories you can provide. You have to handhold and babysit a lot, and you'll find stories being disrupted by lots of unnecessary deaths unless you just pamper the players and rubber stamp validate their actions - "Here's an XP participation trophy." But, I could give a flying flip how much system mastery you have if you aren't using it to help everyone at the table have fun. By all means save the freaking day with your awesome character and be the big darn hero. But don't whine about how you have to pull that weight, while at (often in the same session) showing jealousy when someone else gets spotlight. Compete with me to 'win' if that is what you enjoy, but don't take that to the extreme of trying to play the entire other side of the board or try to bully me into validating your actions because you are terrified of failure.

And for crying out loud, I don't care how much awesome you stuffed into your character with your vast system mastery, make him memorable. If neither you nor I can even remember the character's name, I really don't care that he beat the encounter in one round with his One Punch awesomeness. Make your character more than a sack of big numbers you pull out, and learn how to functionally role play in a way that everyone is entertained by - not as merely the IC version of your OOC bullying, as if the in game existed only for the metagame. Because you know what I find invariably happens with players whose sole motivation is the illusion of beating me? Pretty soon their motivation is beating the other players as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads