D&D 5E Power of Various Schools of Magic?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Are certain schools of magic more powerful than others, the way that certain saves are?

I'm asking as Arcane Tricksters only access two schools (basically), while an Eldritch Knight gets Abjuration and Evocation and then even more access.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I am not certain I follow you.

Eldritch Knights have access to abjuration and evocation, plus 1 ANY. At levels 8, 14, and 20 they get to choose another ANY.

Arcane Trickster gets enchantment and illusion, plus 1 ANY. They also get ANY selections at levels 8, 14, and 20.

They get the same access as far as two schools each plus up to 4 ANYs.

dave2008

Legend
Probably. Some schools have more spell options. So that at least would be relatively easy to quantify. Whether one spell of a given level is better than another, less so, and dependent on a lot of things.

Shiroiken

Legend
Are certain schools of magic more powerful than others, the way that certain saves are?
Not specifically, no, but some have advantages and disadvantages depending on the campaign. The Eldritch Knight gets Abjuration and Invocation because those are geared towards combat. The Arcane Trickster gets Enchantment and Illusion because those are useful in social situations. If I'd have to give a strongest school, I'd say divination, because it's almost universally useful.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I am not certain I follow you.

Eldritch Knights have access to abjuration and evocation, plus 1 ANY. At levels 8, 14, and 20 they get to choose another ANY.

Arcane Trickster gets enchantment and illusion, plus 1 ANY. They also get ANY selections at levels 8, 14, and 20.

They get the same access as far as two schools each plus up to 4 ANYs.
Aha, a misread on my part.

This makes me much less concerned about a different rogue subclass that gives access to three specific schools

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Aha, a misread on my part.

This makes me much less concerned about a different rogue subclass that gives access to three specific schools
Three specific school is probably a net nerf, although it would depend on the schools.

Remove ads