• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power VS Weapon

Hagan Grimmbrow

First Post
I'm hoping I can have something cleared up for me before I waste my next few feats on things I can't use.

At level 3, my character was given a level 3 frost spear. As a free action, it deals cold damage.

Seeking to further the damage a cleric can do, I went feat hunting and found a few that seemed promising, but are now confusing

Lasting Frost caught my eye as well as Wintertouched.

I spoke with my GM and some other players, and I've received mixed answers. I suppose what it breaks down int is this:

If a weapon deals a damage type no listed in the power description, can that damage be considered to be from the weapon or the power?

any help will be appreciated.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Lasting Frost/Wintertouched is designed to work with Frost weapons. The damage-typing magic weapons add their keyword to the powers you use with them while they're active.

That said, there is (I've heard) only one enemy in the MM that's actually vulnerable to cold as written, so...

Last edited:

Milambus

First Post
From the Player Handbook FAQ:

Answer

15. When do a Magic Item's keywords apply?
If you use a magic item's power in conjunction with a power granted to you by your race or class, that item's keywords are added to the regular keywords of the power you are using. For example, if you are have a Flaming Weapon, and you use an at-will power to attack an enemy along with the at-will power of the Flaming Weapon, your attack will have the Fire keyword in addition to the normal keywords of your attack. You have to be using the powers of the weapon for those keywords to be added; simply using the magic item does not necessarily mean every keyword attached to a power of that item will be added.

So if you used the at-will power to turn the damage into Cold damage, then yes the power has the Cold keyword.

Remove ads