D&D 5E Power Word: Stun and stunning strike level confusion

Gadget

Adventurer
You are correct in that the Power Word line of spells are very sub-optimal for their level. The argument that always gets thrown out is that they are very effective when used against PCs by Monsters/NPCs, and thus the reason for their existance. To which I reply: "Why are they then in the Player's Handbook?" Sure, there are some world building/flavor spells in there that are not necessarily what adventurers need or would use, but this "DM Spell" catagory I find baffling.

It is an inherent problem with monter & PC hp disparity as the levels rise. Personally, I add a Save for targets above 150hp and for PWK, have the spell do 100hp of psychic damage if the target has > 100hp.

Perun

Mushroom
It is an inherent problem with monter & PC hp disparity as the levels rise. Personally, I add a Save for targets above 150hp and for PWK, have the spell do 100hp of psychic damage if the target has > 100hp.

I like the psychic damage. I would have went with necrotic, but now that you've said it, psychic makes mire sense.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
I'd say PWS is a great spell for a Wizard to have in her spellbook (having this when facing a Lich or Archmage, or to hold in reserve for when the Ancient dragon decides to try and flee, can be a gamechanger), but not a great choice for a Sorcerer or Warlock, given their limited selection of known spells.

Quartz

Hero
Don't forget the effect of Metamagic on PW:S. A point or or two of Distant Spell could be devastating. And then there's its use in the social sphere, for example stopping a courtier for speaking for a round to allow another PC to speak , likely using Subtle Spell..

Remove ads