• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PPvsPP: Hand of God Arena(Up:cov,atriden,sessadore)

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Ata]
PHB p.277 said:
You can take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn (you can also take free actions). You can’t take immediate actions or opportunity actions.
I'd find it very strange indeed to interpret this as saying you only get one free action. It clearly refers to free actions as plural, and I think it's pretty clear that those free actions are in addition to the single move, minor, or standard action.

But, it's your game, and you get to decide. If Karn is dominated on his turn, I'd like him to throw his weapon as far as he can off the edge. I don't know how far that is; there don't seem to be rules for this, but I'd hope it's at least a few squares.

Also, note that if Song of Discord hits, Karn immediately makes a basic attack on mrKiller. That happens on Diarmuid's turn, and doesn't take an action on Karn's turn.

[/sblock]

Atriden

First Post
Mr. Killer shoves the potion in his hand down his throat and gurgles the strange tasting liquid in his mouth with much pleasure. " Tasty " he says and pull's the huge Axe on his back forth. He look's at his partner with loony eyes " We Killl everyone, muhahahaha and me aid you to do so!" and the orc cries to Tempus to bless him and his new found buddy, and that they shall strike true against these worthy foes.
[sblock=Actions]
Standard: Casts a spell
Move Action: Takes his axe forth
Minor Action: Drinks the potion
[/sblock]
[sblock= To Oni and Atanatotatos]
Potion: It was a potion of Clarity
Spell: Bless
You get the bonus to all your defenses or more exactly, he gets -5 to all ranged attacks against you, and dominate is clearly a ranged attack, right?
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]
I like bunnies and love easter, so happy easter to you all ! For something more serious, what happens with that dominate thing, does Oni make a melee basic attack against me or what?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=ooc all]I see what you mean, and I'm not positive with my interpretation indeed, though it's the way I've always read it. It doesn't matter in this case, though, since Karn doesn't have a holy symbol (sorry for the confusion). I didn't forget about the basic attack, now that atriden has posted I'll update shortly.
Oni: yes, it does hit despite the cloak's effect. And yes, Karn does a basic attack against mrKiller.
The sword floats one square off the platform, one square high. Update coming shortly.[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
After casting his spells, Karn is targeted by Diarmuid's mind-controllig attack. Although the rider's blurry form makes it difficult for the Tiefling to affect him, the warrior's mind is dominated in the end, and he is forced to attack his own companion. Karn manages to fight the enchantment somehow, and the blow comes out shallow, and misses widely. Furthermore, he still hasn't regained control of his actions, and the battle inside his mind takes away all his attention.
Unfazed, the warrior beside him trusts his willpower and blesses him with power, unsheating his own weapon.

Initiative and status, Round 1:

-Karn, +2 power AC, 5DR, dominated TENT(Diarmuid), all ranged attacks from more than 5 squares at -5 penalty [sblock=expended], Divine armour, Weapon of the gods, 1 potion of clarity[/sblock]
-Diarmuid [sblock=Expended]Song of discord, Irrefutable armor[/sblock]
-mrKiller +1 power to attack rolls, 5DR, all ranged attacks from more than 5 squares at -5 penalty [sblock=Expended]1 potion of clarity, Bless[/sblock]
-Varis <-----next action

ooc: please note that Karn's dominated action hasn't occurred yet, so map is unchanged.

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=cov]
I'd find it very strange indeed to interpret this as saying you only get one free action. It clearly refers to free actions as plural, and I think it's pretty clear that those free actions are in addition to the single move, minor, or standard action.

I see what you mean, and I see that it can very well be interpreted this way.
However I have always read it as: "You are only allowed one action this turn: either one minor, or move, or standard action"; it then clarifies, however, that these actions can "also" be converted into free actions, as normal.
There is one thing that also strenghtens my interpretation (IMO): the dominated condition states that the dominator chooses the dominated's action (singular); so I think it would be strange if the dazed creature could take more than one action. Or would you interpret it that the dazed creature gets more than one action (free actions), but the "dominator" can only choose one of these?
Hope my English was clear. It seems fair to me, but I'm willing to change my interpretation if convinced.[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
The elf, seeing one of the armored warriors lash out at his companion after Diarmuid's scream, mutters out of the corner of his mouth, "I like you already, friend." Turning back to Mr. Killer, he declares, "You seem to like oaths. Here's one for you then - you will die by my hand today. Don't bother trying to change fate; it's more work than it's worth."

With a calm smirk on his face, Varis hefts his sword and dashes across the stone arm. Reaching Mr. Killer he swings the blade in an unavoidable arc. As the blow connects, shadows burst forth, surrounding Mr. Killer in a swirling cloud.
[sblock=Ata and cov]Minor: oath of enmity on Mr. Killer. Remember that I get +1 to all defenses against his attacks now.
Move: to J9.
Standard: Temple of Shadow on Mr. Killer: 1d20+23=39, 1d20+23=27, 2d12+12=31, for a total of 39 vs. AC and 31 damage (before DR). Half damage (15) on miss. Also, a zone of swirling shadows in a burst 1 surround him until the end of the encounter. I gain concealment and can make Stealth checks inside the zone, and I retain concealment until the end of my turn if I leave the zone.

I love my avenger already :D

Another question for you, Ata, but I don't want those other two to see. If I try to teleport one of them into a square which is off the side of the arm, they would get a saving throw to avoid being teleported, correct?[/sblock][sblock=On dominate]I imagine that the intent was to allow dominated characters to be able to talk (a free action) as well as still be forced to do something. If you look at it that way, it seems kind of silly that you could make a dominated creature either say something or do something, but not both.

However, talking usually doesn't have any mechanical impact. Throwing away your weapon does ;) Also, while I know this stance hurts us, but if one of my players tried this trick I would rule that throwing the weapon (as opposed to just dropping it at their feet) would be more than a free action.

This last bit isn't about domination, but I don't want to make another sblock ;) We should avoid looking at the other team's expended resources, yes?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
Varis quickly approaches mrKiller, and strikes him with a quick slash of his enormous sword. While the cut is nothing the warrior can't bear, he is surrounded by swirling shadows clinging to him that seep from the wound. Varis' form becomes slightly harder to discern.
Karn still hasn't regained control over himself, and despite his struggling, he can't but throw his weapon away, in the azure void.
The strangest thing then happens. Some sort of electrical charge in the air envelops the spear, and lets it float in the air, not far from the gigantic stone hand.

handofgodmap.jpg

Initiative and status, round 2:
-Karn, unarmed, +1 power to attack rolls, +2 power AC, 5DR, dominated TENT(Diarmuid), all ranged attacks from more than 5 squares at -5 penalty [sblock=expended], Divine armour, Weapon of the gods, 1 potion of clarity[/sblock]
-Diarmuid [sblock=Expended]Song of discord, Irrefutable armor[/sblock]
-mrKiller HP:-26, +1 power to attack rolls, 5DR, all ranged attacks from more than 5 squares at -5 penalty, target of oath of enmity [sblock=Expended]1 potion of clarity, [COLOR="DimGray]Bless[/COLOR][/sblock]
-Varis, oath of enmity vs MrKiller, concealed [sblock=Expended][COLOR="DimGrey"]Temple of shadows[/COLOR][/sblock]

ooc:the spear is floating in the air, one square from the border of the stone hand, one square high, surrounded by an electrical energy.

We should avoid looking at the other team's expended resources, yes?
I suppose it would be better, but I'll leave that to your conscience.
About your other question, sessadore, yes, it is correct.

Last edited:

Atriden

First Post
[sblock=To Oni and Ata]I just wanted to let Ata know that I also get the +2 power bonus to my AC, from Oni's Divine Armour and Oni get's +1 power bonus to attack rolls from my bless spell as well [/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=atriden]I'm pretty sure divine armor gives the +2 to AC only to the caster. As for the bless effect, I think it's noted for both of you.
...Ops. No, it is not, but it should be. I was sure I had written that, but I'll correct that immediately.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Diarmuid downs his potion and circles closer, flicking his wand in vicious little twists at mrKiller, who suddenly looks clumsier.

[sblock=Ata and Sessadore]minor: drink potion of clarity
Move: to I13
Std: foolhardy fighting vs mrKiller, hits will 36 for 17 damage, and MrK takes -3 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn, and any attack he makes until the end of my next turn provokes OAs. Also, he takes an additional -2 penalty to his next attack roll (from psychic lock)
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads