Pranks?

Craer

First Post
Hiya folks. I'm just wondering, what practical jokes/pranks have you or another character pulled in your compaign? The idea to ask came to me when I was perusing an old .pdf copy of the Netbook Of Practical Jokes. A good one that I have seen used is using severign glue or just about anything . Post your stuff, folks. If I can, and there are no problems, I'll see if I can get a copy of the net book of Practical Jokes up here.

Tratyn Runewind

First Post
Hello!

It's all about the illusions. There's no end to the fun that can be had with the likes of Major Image, Programmed Image, or Permanent Image, and a bit of imagination. Some simple examples include:
  • a sealed clay bottle with the Programmed Image of a giant Efreet lord, activating when the seal is broken, who appears and roars out, "DIE, FOUL HEIRS OF HIM WHO IMPRISONED ME!!!" Done properly, this can require changes of underwear for an entire party.
  • a Permanent Image of a mighty opera tenor, constantly pacing the roof of a known opera hater's house, belting out arias at full throat 24 hours a day. This sort of thing can have people happily begging to pay through the nose for Dispel Magic.
  • illusions of a joke's subject doing embarassing or illegal things, which in extreme cases might bring visits from angry spouses, authorities, or torch-wielding mobs (say, turning hairy under a full moon, in a town recently plagued by werewolf activity).
  • going all "Scooby-Doo" with fake ghostly visitations. Such ghosts might teach "Christmas Carol"-style moral lessons, or give false substance to amusing local legends (like pirate ghosts inspiring a town to drop everything for some frenzied treasure hunting).
Grease, Invisibility, Magic Mouth, Prestidigitation, Summon Swarm, Ventriloquism, and Telekinesis (and its little brother Far Hand) have their humorous uses too. And of course, for all the "Terence and Phillip" low-comedy fans in the house, Quickened Ghost Sound followed up by Stinking Cloud is usually good for a few laughs...

So there are a couple of ideas to get you started. Have fun with them! :)

Tsyr

Explorer
In another thread I posted a rather twisted and sick thing to do with statues and a minor enchantment... reposted here to avoid confusion...

Get a very, very, very good sculpter to create several statues of "adventurer" type people, or theives, better yet. Have them carved in positions of shock and surprise, with possibly a tinge of horror on them.

Then enchant them. First of all, this makes them radiate magic, but second... what you do is, enchant them with a modified version of the "create water" spell... so that there is always a few drops of tears around their eyes. If your really sick, have a minor audible illusion enchanted on them so that if you get up within a foot or so of them, you can hear tortured screams.

Then put them out in front of the gates like gargoyles.

Where I got this from is that's something I did one time. I used to play a wizard back in 2E who was chaotic good... but most people thought he was chaotic evil, becuase of the way he acted in public. Eventualy, I built a tower.

I had a couple of robbery attempts. Failed, mind you, but it was annoying. It was the local theives guild, and they had been harrassing me because they saw me as very wealthy (which I was). Normaly I was rather gental, considering how I normaly acted... my normal responce was to use a modified version of polymorph to turn their skin bright purple with the word "theif" tatooed on their forhead. Still, my wealth was a bit too tempting.

So I sent away to a distant town for the scultpures. When I got them I hid them in my wine cellar for a while, and worked the enchantments. Once I finished that, I called together a couple friends and used an alter spell to make them look like the fictional people carved into the statue. Then over the course of a month or so, I had them infiltrate the thieves guild. Then, the next time the theives guild put out a call for people willing to try to rob my tower, they went.

So, they "snuck" into my tower, where I had them loudly scream out in surprise and fear once, then dispelled the alter spell on them.

Later that day, my servants and I drug the statues out front.

Never was robbed again.

Chaldfont

First Post
The Black Company by Glen Cook

A good source of magical pranks is the Black Company series by Glen Cook (great fantasy anyway if you haven't read it). There are two, centuries old wizards in the mercenary band who have a serious love-hate relationship going and they are constantly using their magic to screw with each other.

There is also a great scene where the Company is hired to find and kill a guy. But they are lazy soldiers so they get their wizards to enchant a table and set it out in the town square, heaped with magically warded treasure. They place a sign indicating that whoever places the man's severed head on the table will get the treasure. Then they just sit and play cards and wait for some poor slob to do the guy in for the treasure.

Zhure

First Post
ok... this is just between us. We can't let this information out.

Taran (2e Ranger/Bard with the Blade kit) is a "man of mystery." He belongs to the Mages Guild, the Thieves Guild and the Rangers Guild in town. Everyone thinks he's a Fighter/Magic-User/Thief. Due to a successful Wish, he can use scrolls like a mage, so none are the wiser.

He leased some land from the Duke opposite his nemesis's land and overnight built a castle. It's four Daern's Instant Fortresses, with a hedge around it. The hedges have permanent illusions of stone walls. The local druid (an ally) helped make a stone "driveway" with mud to rock and a lot of dirt and water.

Rope bridges are hung between each tower, and have permanent illusions of being stone walkways.

He's not had a problem with thieves. Probably because he's a member in good standing with the guild. In the off-chance he does, he has one final trick. There's a permanent illusion of a lit window on the third floor. Good luck breaking that "glass."

Greg

Lothaire

First Post
One can do great things with animal friendship.

Like making pigeons crap on peoples heads.

Having rats gnaw through peoples clothing.

Having wild animals attack them while they are sleeping.

Now start doing this stuff to low level rangers.

Make them afraid of their own animal companions.

MaxKaladin

First Post
Well, I'm not normally one for practical jokes, but I did this once as a DM. Have you ever seen those d3s? The ones where they take a d6 and put 1, 2, and 3 on it twice with each number on the opposite face from each other? Well, I have several of those.

Once, someone died and was rolling up a new character and I was so cruel. I handed him four of those to use to roll his character.

The awful thing is he normally rolled so bad that he didn't suspect anything when he couldn't get a stat above 9. He looked at his new stats with dismay and asked if he could reroll some of them. I told him to take a really close look at the dice and then gave him a real set to roll all his stats over.

As I said, he normally rolled badly and I'm not sure he did much better with that set....

Remove ads