• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC: Arcane Valet (extended Pirate edition)

bret

First Post
Knight-of-Roses said:
bret,
In my opinion it is a fair and balanced PrC.

The only ideas floating around that I have at the moment are:

Silent or Still Spell as an additional feat requirement, as they should be able to use their magic with utmost subtly.

Spellcraft, 4+ ranks, to represent mastery of practical magic (for the Supernatural Skill ability).

Just as a flavor point, I would change the title of the Bardic Knowledge ability to, "Why, everyone knows, sir, that . . ." A bit long I know, but it captures the spirit so well.

Please send me a copy of whatever your finished version looks like.

Talked with the GM over the weekend, went through the various suggestions and found out what he wanted changed.

We changed the name of Bardic Knowledge to Obscure Knowledge. No change in the effects.

We did add 5 ranks Spellcraft to the requirements.

He had me add Silent Spell, Still Spell and Eschew materials as feats gained in the PrC. This could be a bit much for some campaigns, but is probably appropriate for Forgotten Realms.

I've updated the HTML version of the PrC on my web page.

There was one other suggestion given by another player that was interesting, allow them to use Purify Food and Drink. Having thought about it, I probably will do something different. Either create a serving tray with this effect on it, or research a Wizard spell that 'Removes Impurity' for food. Creating food is still very much in the divine spellcaster's area, but getting rid of rotten food (reducing the amount of food available) could be a wizard/sorcerer spell.

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This class is great! I'm very impressed. I think the bonus of the metamagic feats is quite excessive, though, especially with +1 spell level at every level.

bret

First Post
Piratecat said:
This class is great! I'm very impressed.

Thanks.

I think the bonus of the metamagic feats is quite excessive, though, especially with +1 spell level at every level.

I don't disagree, but I'm also not going to argue with the GM on this. I figure he has a better understanding of the challenges we will face than I do.

I suggested dropping the bonus feat or adding a feat to the prerequisites. He didn't think it was necessary.

In terms of usefullness (from most to least), I would rate the feats in this order: Silent Spell, Still Spell, Eschew Materials.

I probably would have gotten Silent Spell anyways -- and if I did it would most likely have been at the same time or sooner than this PrC grants it. I see Still Spell as something that can be useful, especially for a fighter or rogue multiclass, but not that critical to a straight spellcaster. Eschew Materials is mostly a matter of style, in my experience it very rarely would make a difference.

If I were powering it back a little bit, I would have probably required Still Spell as a prerequisite, then given Eschew Materials at 6th and Silent Spell at 9th. By 15th level, giving this feat isn't such a big deal. Anyone who wanted it would have already taken it by then.

In any case, it is close enough to balanced where the only way to really determine if it works is playtesting. Should be interesting, my character qualifies for it in another two levels (just made 5th level recently).

bret

First Post
Edits to expand it for the pirate version.

Even pirate captains can use a good lackey to keep track of the scurvy dogs they tend to get fer crew.

Remove ads