PrC: Arcane Valet (extended Pirate edition)

bret

First Post
Here is a PrC that I'm putting together for one of my characters in a sea based campaign. The campaign is set in the Forgotten Realms and uses the 3.0 rule set.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

There is also an HTML version of the PrC available.

This material is Copyright 2003 by Bret Indrelee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcane Valet

"How may I be of service, sir?"

A good servant can improve the station of his employer. A truly exceptional person requires a level of service far beyond what any normal person could provide. It is these type of people who seek the service of an Arcane Valet.

Most of the time it is an adventuring gentleman or lady who seeks such service. Since much of their time is spent in travel and dangerous pursuits, most servants would not be willing to serve such a master. The Arcane Valet learns to adapt to their master's needs, and anticipating them with uncanny accuracy.

Sometimes, even scum have the presence of mind to realize that such a person has their uses. There have been a few pirate captains that have found it can be useful to have a lackey to carry stuf for them and warn of any rumors of mutiny amongst the crew. The pay isn't great and it definately lacks the prestige of other postings, but it is much better than walking a plank after pirates have killed your previous employer.

Hit Die: d4

Requirements:

To qualify to become an Arcane Valet, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:

Skills:

9 ranks Profession: Valet

5 ranks in two Craft, Profession, or Knowledge skills other than Knowledge (Arcana)

Feats:

Item creation feat for items anyone can use (not scrolls, wands, or staves)

Spellcasting:

Ability to cast the following spells: Detect Thoughts, Unseen Servant, Prestidigitation, Mending, Mage Hand

Special:

Employed as a valet for at least one year

Class Skills:
Appraise, Balance, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Innuendo, Knowledge(all), Listen, Profession, Read Lips, Scry, Sense Motive, Speak Languages, Spellcraft

In addition, the Arcane Valet can choose two additional skills to be class skills based on the needs of his employer. These skills are chosen when a person enters the prestige class and can not be changed after that.

Examples could include:

Ship's Officer: Swim, Use Rope
Pirate Captain: Intimidate, Perform (someone has to be able to sing the shanties)
Cavalry Officer: Handle Animals, Ride
Merchant Trader: Handle Animals, Intimidate
Criminal Mastermind: Alchemy, Escape Artist
Explorer: Wilderness Lore, Handle Animal

Skill points at each level: 4 + Int modifier

Level..BAB..Fort..Refl..Will..Spells per Day....Special
........1....+0.....+0....+0...+2.................+1 level....Always Properly Dressed
.....................................................................................First Innate Cantrip
........2....+1.....+0....+0...+3.................+1 level....Supernatural Skill

........3....+1.....+1....+1...+3.................+1 level....Obscure Knowledge
.....................................................................................Silent Spell
........4....+2.....+1....+1...+4.................+1 level....Anticipate Master's Needs
.....................................................................................Second Innate Cantrip
........5....+2.....+1....+1...+4.................+1 level....Kitchen Gossip

........6....+3.....+2....+2...+5.................+1 level....Still Spell

........7....+3.....+2....+2...+5.................+1 level....Let Me Adjust That for You
.....................................................................................Third Innate Cantrip
........8....+4.....+2....+2...+6.................+1 level....Bonus Feat

........9....+4.....+3....+3...+6.................+1 level....Eschew Materials

.......10...+5.....+3....+3...+7.................+1 level....Social Invisibility
.....................................................................................Fourth Innate Cantrip

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:

An Arcane Valet gains no additional proficiency in any weapons or armor.

Spells:
When a new Arcane Valet level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if they had also gained a level in the spellcasting class they belonged to before adding the prestige class. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved meta-magic or item creation feats, familiar advancement, etc.) except for an increased effective level of spellcasting.

Always Properly Dressed (Su):

Regardless of weather, an Arcane Servant is always properly dressed if they are in their master's livery. They will not suffer any adverse effects from normal weather provided that they were the livery. It does not matter if it is woolen livery in the middle of the desert, chains and an anchor in the middle of the sea, or light Khakis in a blizzard, the Arcane Servant is able to ignore the environmental effects of normal weather.

Innate Cantrips (Sp):

You have cast some cantrips so many times to help you in your duties, it has become a natural part of you. This allows you to use certain cantrips (mainly Prestidigitation, Mending, maybe Mage Hand, Light, Detect Magic, Detect Poison or others) as spell-like abilities at will.

Supernatural Skill (Su):

You've learned how to integrate your arcane knowledge with your skill as a valet. You are now capable of using your skills as a valet to achieve extraordinary results. Any use of valet skill can achieve results just slightly beyond what would normally be allowed through mundane means.

Examples:
* Having your master's social calendar memorized, including the functions that you haven't been told about yet.
* You have an eye and memory for detail, being able to rattle off the food preferences of your master and the people he associates or wants to associate with.
* You can make any place feel a bit more comfortable for your master.
* You are an expert at organizing parties and social events, taking care of the little details such as seating arrangements, food preferences, and making sure all the invitations get delivered properly.
* You remember exactly how much ransom your employer was able to get for similiar hostages and have a good eye for likely prospects amongst the captured folk on a captured vessel.
* Your skill in writing ransom notes and arranging exchanges is only exceeded by your skill in making backup plans for when a hasty retreat is needed.

Obscure Knowledge:

You never know when your employer may need to know that strange bit of trivia, so it is best to gather as much as possible. You never know when they may ask about such diverse topics as the proper form of address for the second cousin of the Pasha's sister, how long it takes a yellow-bellied sap sucker to fly across town, how to properly curse the barnacles off the sides of a vessel, if a particular captain was missing the left or right leg, or what types of materials are favored by necromancers for their wands and staves.

The Arcane Valet can make a Bardic Knowledge check (PHB 29) using his class level and Int Modifier. Levels in Arcane Valet stack with levels in any other class with a class ability that gives a Bardic Knowledge check.

Silent Spell:

The best servants know when they should not be heard. The Arcane Valet is granted the Silent Spell metamagic feat.

Anticipate Master's Needs (Su):

The supernatural ability to know when you will be needed, and sometimes know what items will be needed by your employer. "I thought you may be needing me/this..." This extends far beyond having the nigh-on-bottomless hipflask of grog that a pirate captain's lackey would require.

Kitchen Gossip (Ex):

The Arcane Valet gains a +4 bonus to Gather Information checks from other servants. The valet is now part of the vast conspiracy of servants and can draw knowledge from it.

As a special case, the servant to a pirate captain gets the bonus when dealing with the scum of the sea. "Argggh, get over here ya' scurvy dog. I've got a mind ta' ask yee a few questions, sir, and if'n ya' give me any lip it be the captain who'll be do'in the questioning."

Still Spell:

It is also important at times for a servant to be able to avoid any distracting movements. The Arcane Valet is granted the Still Spell metamagic feat.

Let Me Adjust that for You (Ex):

It is amazing how helful a good servant can be for a variety of task. The Arcane Valet can give a +2 circumstance bonus to another person's skill rolls.

Bonus Feat:

The Arcane Valet can choose any meta-magic or item creation feat as a bonus feat. If they are a Wizard, they can also choose Spell Mastery.

Eschew Materials:

A servant should be able to make do even when the proper items are not readily available. The Arcane Valet is granted the Eschew Materials metamagic feat.

Social Invisibility (Ex):

No one pays any attention to a servant, especially in the company of their master.

The Arcane Valet can use their Profession: Valet skill to attempt to not be noticed by others. They make an opposed roll between their Profession: Valet skill and the opponents Spot skill. If they succeed, the other person ignored them.

Unless in the company of their master, attempting to go somewhere that servants are not normally allowed would incur a penalty to the Profession: Valet skill. Attempting to get into someplace where no one of their race is allowed would incur an additional penalty.

Acting in a manner unbecoming a servant (attacking someone with a sword, casting a Lighting Bolt at someone) will negate this ability.

Last edited:

bret

First Post
I'm surprised no one has come up with any ways to improve this.

In talking with my GM, we both agree that it is a little underpowered. I was hoping someone on this board would have some good suggestions.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
bret said:
I'm surprised no one has come up with any ways to improve this.

In talking with my GM, we both agree that it is a little underpowered. I was hoping someone on this board would have some good suggestions.
This is an interesting concept for an NPC but I think a player would have issues. It also has a good chance to be abused by the person who has this character type as a cohort.

bret

First Post
Argent said:
This is an interesting concept for an NPC but I think a player would have issues. It also has a good chance to be abused by the person who has this character type as a cohort.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm designing this for one of my characters.

Right now, I'm the only arcane spellcaster in the group. I was originally planning to take Loremaster (which itself isn't the most powerful PrC), but wanted a few different skills. After talking to the GM, he asked that I design a PrC for what my character would want.

My character is currently the valet to the executive officer on a ship. If you're interested, you can find out more about it on the campaign homepage.

Where do you see the greatest potential for abuse? Since I have no intention of limited this class by race or alignment, it is quite possible that an NPC will have a cohort with this PrC at some point. The PrC is supposed to be useable for the evil advisor.

Right now, I think the PrC does a fair job of highlighting the Valet portion of the job. It isn't quite as good at highlighting the spellcasting portion.

Twice now, people have commented about how no PC would ever take it, but watch out for cohorts taking it. I would like some ideas on how to fix both of those things.

Knight-of-Roses

Historian of the Absurd
Well, as this is designed as a supporting role PrC, of course it is going to seem more 'NPC'-like as a class. Usually PCs are the heroes, not the hero's assistant.

I like the concept a lot. You want to emphasize the Arcane part of them more, yes? I would suggest giving them bonus feats of Eschew Materials, Silent Spell and Still Spell. And give them the ability to use Silent and Still Spell a limited number of times per day 'on the fly'. This way the Arcane Valet can use magic without appearing to use magic.

Another perk would be to give them a price break when creating items that are to be used by their master. Nothing big here, maybe 1% per ArV Level (or a flat 5%).

To the prerecs, I would add 'speaks at least three common languages of the area'
And another feat requirement, perhaps Cosmopolitan or a choice one of the other social based Feat.

Good idea though. I must go to bed now, but I will think about other suggestions . . .

bret

First Post
Knight-of-Roses said:
Well, as this is designed as a supporting role PrC, of course it is going to seem more 'NPC'-like as a class. Usually PCs are the heroes, not the hero's assistant.

True. If I didn't have a fair amount of trust in the player running the executive officer, I probably would have never tried it. In this campaign, it has been working out OK.

I like the concept a lot.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've put a fair amount of thought into it, trying to get the flavor right.

There are plenty of examples of servants that get involved to various degrees: Haroud Hazi Bin serving Abis Mal, Jeeves serving Bernie Wooster, Norman serving Roger Smith, Alfred serving Bruce Wayne, etc. I thought it would be cool to have a PrC that makes this a much bigger role than normal.

You want to emphasize the Arcane part of them more, yes? I would suggest giving them bonus feats of Eschew Materials, Silent Spell and Still Spell. And give them the ability to use Silent and Still Spell a limited number of times per day 'on the fly'. This way the Arcane Valet can use magic without appearing to use magic.

I could see doing the 'on the fly' if Silent and Still were prerequisites. I had thought of doing something like that with Subdual Substitution, but perhaps Silent and Still is more appropriate. It would preclude Bards from taking the PrC, but I don't think that most bards would be interested in this PrC anyways.

I'm not sure, but it seems like just giving them the Silent and Still feats would be too much, those are useful feats for any mage.

Another perk would be to give them a price break when creating items that are to be used by their master. Nothing big here, maybe 1% per ArV Level (or a flat 5%).

I'm pretty sure that would be unbalancing when the PrC is used for a cohort. It could even cause problems in this campaign, considering I'm working for the richest character amoungst the PCs.

To the prerecs, I would add 'speaks at least three common languages of the area'
And another feat requirement, perhaps Cosmopolitan or a choice one of the other social based Feat.

The class already requires quite a large investment of skill points: 19. Considering none of them are Arcana, Spellcraft, or Concentration that seems like a pretty significant investment. I am concerned that adding yet more skill requirements would make it very difficult for Sorcerers to enter, and even wizards would find it takes a hefty toll. They could get a number of languages at first level, but any they didn't would cost double.

As for the feat, I smiled when I saw you suggest Cosmopolitan. My character already took it for Sense Motive.

Good idea though. I must go to bed now, but I will think about other suggestions . . .

Thanks a lot, the comments help. I look forward to reading any other ideas you might have.

Velmont

First Post
I love it, and I find it perfect. If you compare to a simple wizard, you lose:

Familiar abilities, 1 feat,

You gain:
Innate cantrip
Bardic Knowledge
Bonus in Gather Info (restricted)
Ability to hide in plain sight (restricted)
Abilities to anticipate master needs (that can be usefull, still restricted)
More skills (4 per levels)
Having some choice in class skill.

All that make the gain more powerfull than the lost abilities, which is the idea of a prestige class, and it isnèt too powerfull, and it have some flavor. I think it is perfect.

bret

First Post
Velmont said:
I love it, and I find it perfect.

Thanks for the complement, Velmont.

If you compare to a simple wizard, you lose:
snipped comparison

Good comparison.

I hadn't thought of comparing Social Invisibility to Hide in Plain Sight, thanks. That gives me a better way to judge how powerful it is, since the comparison is much closer.

l that make the gain more powerfull than the lost abilities, which is the idea of a prestige class, and it isn't too powerfull, and it have some flavor. I think it is perfect.

I'm glad you like the flavor.

Although the class gets more skills per level, remember that it spent 19 skill points just to enter the class. They are appropriate skills for the PrC, but a straight wizard or sorcerer is much more likely to have maximum ranks in Spellcraft, Knowledge: Arcana, and Concentration than someone with this PrC. I specifically excluded Knowledge: Arcana from the Arcane Valet's prerequisites because I felt that was too easy a prerequisite.

It is also interesting what abilities the PrC will lose if the character becomes unemployed:
Anticipate Master's Needs
Supernatural Skill

Social Invisibility is more often at a penalty, since they are never in the company of their master.

Two of the class abilities also encourage the Arcane Valet to put skill points in Profession: Valet, a skill that normally isn't very important. It is also of limited use during the time that they are out of a job. Effectively, the PrC has a duty to another person.

On the other hand, it has a very wide range of skills available.

I did most of my comparison against the Loremaster from the DMG. Comparing the skill list for the two PrCs, we find:

Loremaster has:
Alchemy, Handle Animals, Heal, Perform, Use Magic Device

Arcane Valet has:
Balance, Diplomacy, Innuendo, Listen, Read Lips, Sense Motive

It also allows the character to pick two more skills depending on employer needs. Looking at this again, I should limit the choices to non-exclusive skills in the description.

The PrC has a wider selection of skills than the Loremaster. It loses an exclusive skill (Use Magic Device) with combat utility, but gains a different exclusive skill (Read Lips) that could help a lot with scouting. I expect that Clairvoyance or Scry spell and Read Lips will turn out to be a very effective combination.

The Loremaster has higher prerequisites when entered as a wizard (skill focus, another metamagic feat) and only gets one of those back (assuming they pick that secret), putting them two behind a pure wizard rather than only one. You can enter the Arcane Valet class one level earlier than the Loremaster, and do not require as high of spellcasting ability. This actually allows the Bard to enter at the same time as a Wizard or Sorcerer, or the person could multiclass their wizard/sorcerer without delaying entry. On the other hand, it would make no difference to me if the prerequisites included the ability to cast third level arcane spells.

The Arcane Valet is much more available to Sorcerers, since they can use a craft or profession to qualify rather than having to pay cross-class for the second knowledge skill. The lower feat requirements also help here. It is possible that this is too good a deal for a sorcerer, but I did not want to exclude the class. There just aren't that many PrCs for sorcerers, and I didn't see a need to exclude them.

On the other hand, the Loremaster's prerequisites are all very useful to any wizard. They already start with one of the prerequisites for Loremaster (Scribe Scroll), and get bonus feats that can be used for the metamagic feats or item creation feats prerequisite. The big cost that most people point to (Skill Focus, a general feat) they can get back with one of their secrets.

The Loremaster is going to have more languages and be better in combat. The Arcane Valet is going to have skills that help in social and environmental situations. The two skills dependent on employer's needs is to avoid the situation where they are useless in a situation that is common for that sort of employer. The Arcane Valet of a mountain climber better pick climb as one of their skills.

They both get the Bardic Knowledge ability at the same character level (assuming both enter the PrC at minimum level). The Loremaster gets two spell like abilities (Lore and Greater Lore) that give the equivilent of a 1st level (Identify) and 6th level (Analyze Dweomer) non-combat spell. The Arcane Valet gets an unlimited number of castings of four cantrips. I would say that the Loremaster is ahead here.

I think that the PrC is very close to balanced, but just slightly on the weak side. I currently believe that giving it one more feat would be unbalancing (unless the feat requirements were also raised), but if there wasn't a choice on the feat that might not be unbalancing.

Part of the problem is that it is really hard for me to judge some of this because I know what my character can do. Right now, it could make the requirements for either the Loremaster or this PrC. The Loremaster would have more combat capability, but this has a * lot * more style.

Sanackranib

First Post
I really like the idea. one of my Rogue/mages in a 2e game actually had a valet as a follower. but . . . this really should be an NPC "core" class. allow the spell casting abilities to be gained as the character progresses
or lower the requirements so that a level 3 expert would qualify if you really want it to be a PrC. still, it is useable and I plan to try to adopt it as an NPC class in my game. perhaps with the modifiers I suggested

bret

First Post
Sanackranib said:
I really like the idea. one of my Rogue/mages in a 2e game actually had a valet as a follower. but . . . this really should be an NPC "core" class. allow the spell casting abilities to be gained as the character progresses
or lower the requirements so that a level 3 expert would qualify if you really want it to be a PrC. still, it is useable and I plan to try to adopt it as an NPC class in my game. perhaps with the modifiers I suggested

None of the NPC classes can cast arcane spells, so it would be a little strange to have them as an Arcane Valet. On the other hand, a Wiz3/Expert3 should easily be able to qualify. I could also see making up a varient that builds off an expert template and keeps some of the same abilities.

I don't see any reason someone couldn't convert this into an NPC class.

For my purposes, I need it as a PC PrC.

Thanks for the comments.

One question for those who think this should be an NPC class. Is this because of the PrCs power, or just that you don't think that a butler/valet/etc makes an appropriate hero?

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

Remove ads