• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC: Trip Master, Trip Anything!!!

Belzbet

First Post
With all the talk about tripping I was thinking of a PrC that focused on Tripping (I don't know if there is one or not but I havent seen one). What do you guys think...

Trip Master:

Prereq's:
Base Attack: +5
Feats: Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes

Class Skills: Ride, Climb, Jump, Swim, Balance, Tumble, Profession, Craft, Intimidate

Class Features:
HD: d10's
Skills: 2+Int.

Lv. 1 Experienced Takedown: add your class levels in Trip Master to (touch) attack rolls made when attempting to trip an opponent (not to str. checks; or should it add to str. checks as well? Look at Lv5 before answering)
Dynamic Takedown: A Trip Master can trip with any melee weapon without provoking an AOO (he may drop his weapon like normal when tripping with his weapon); the reach of the weapon is not affected.

Lv.2 Defensive Takedown: In any turn where all of your attacks made that turn are trip attempts you gain a dodge (or untyped; so you don't lose it flanked) bonus to AC equal to your class levels in Trip Master; lasts until the beginning of your next turn (even if you only make a single attack you can benefit from this feature, although it must be a trip attempt; OR should it be only when a full attack is made?).

Lv3 Reactive Takedown: If an opponent that you threaten takes a 5ft step you may attempt a single trip attack as an immediate action, unlike normal this trip attack provokes an AOO (meaning the Trip Master provokes an AOO from the opponent). This takes one of your AOO's for the round (since every Trip Master must have combat reflexes everyone will, mosy likely, have more than one AOO for the turn). So If 3 orcs that my 16 dex. trip master threatens with his longaxe take 5ft steps towards him he can attempt a trip on all of them (however they all get an AOO on the trip master; and he has an extra AOO that round in case another orc moves in his view). At lv 5 you no longer provoke AOO's for tripping in this fashion (this ability, of course, does not affect your ability to normally trip without provoking AOO's). What do you think of this feature? Too Much? Too Good? Just Right???

Lv4 Sweeping Takedown: A master Tripper of lv4 of higher may move up to his speed (he cant run or double move) and made a full attack. However, these attacks must ALL be trip attempts and they must be targeted at DIFFERENT opponents. So, if you normally get 4 attacks and there is only three opponents that you threaten after your move you may only make 3 trip attempts that turn. I invision this as dashing up to a group of enemies and swinging my trip weapon or my legs at their feet and knocking them down.

Lv5 Master of the Takedown:
You are treated as one size category larger for the purposes of abjucating trip attacks (this bonus applies when you are being tripped as well; so this gives you +4 to your str. check to trip, now is this to much in conjunction with adding your Trip Master class levels to str. checks? that would be +9 to str checks, not to much? Or what do you think?). I give a couple more abilities that are interesting but that may be too much if I gave them all to the PrC (the first one is at least a keeper). So I will state them and see what you guys think...

Alternative Abilities:
Lv5 Ability A: when you are threatened by no more than ONE opponent you can extend the reach of any weapon you are tripping with (even unarmed) by 5ft until the end of your current turn, you may only do so only on your turn and the attack so made must be a trip attack. To use this ability you just perform a full round action and you may only make a SINGLE trip attack with the extended weapon (OR should it take a free action and apply to every trip attack in the round???).

Lv 5 Ability B: when making a full attack action if you make a trip attack and you knock an opponent of your effective size or less prone (by winning an opposed str. check) then you get +3 to attack and damage rolls made on that opponent in this round with your other attacks. You must attack the opponent with the rest of your attacks for the round to gain the bonus (effective size takes into consideration the size increase for tripping given by this class, so a medium character would be considered large for this ability). I in-vision this as tripping someone then immediately jumping on them and hitting them with your weapon you tripped them with. Example: Lets say I have 4 attacks and I just took a 5ft step toward the giant and declared a full attack: my first attack I swing at a fire giant in front of me with a regular melee attack I miss, so I decide to make a touch attack to trip, I hit and I win the str, check, NOW I can attack the giant with my other two attacks left at a +3 bonus to attack and damage (these must be regular melee attacks and they all must be targeted at the giant).
Lv5 ability C: When making a touch attack to attempt a trip against foes LARGER than your EFFECTIVE trip size for EVERY 5 points over the touch AC of the defender your attack roll is you get +2 to your str. check to trip the opponent (this bonus only applies to the ONE str. check made to trip that enemy, so if you try to trip it more than once in a round the bonuses arent cumulative; although every 5 points above the AC IS cumulative for that ONE str. check). This makes it possible to trip colossal creatures (if you get 40 above their touch AC then the +16 bonus they get is offset, 45 above then YOU get the bonus, and it is high enough still so that not just anyone can trip a colossal red dragon; if it is not high enough then what do you suggest?).

The main questions I have for you all is: should I spread the levels out more? What about the prereqs to low of a starting level?I give many abilities at lv 5 what two or one is the best and should be kept as the capstone? Anything else you want to comment on...

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
This reminds me of the Reaping Mauler. It basically does nothing to help with the problems of the maneuver, though yours at least doesn't actively make the person worse at the specific maneuver. Regarding your question of adding level to str mod...Yes! Don't add it to touch attack if you don't want, but the str check is what people care about! Also note a level 1 spell that lasts min/level gives a +5 to trip (Enlarge Person), so...yeah.

Here is what a tripper would be looking for in a devoted prestige class, problems he has that need solving:

- The ability to trip a creature of ANY size
- The ability to trip or use trip to inconvenience creatures you just plain can't (stalling flying enemies in the air, somehow making the prone condition do something to serpents and oozes, etc...)
- Bonuses on the str check, or better yet, the ability to negate an enemy's size bonus to it. Functionally the same when tripping big game, but the latter has a much better "martial technician" ring to it than the former and isn't actually directly buffing him.
- Ability to somehow make the condition "stick" to creatures that can safely recover from it. Like the ability to always get the AoO, even if the creature has a skill trick or feat to avoid it. Taking it a step farther, possibly too ridiculous...put a dimensional anchor effect on the target that prevents them from teleporting away until they physically get up. And yes, that would probably be silly in implementation.
- The ability to trip and not risk being tripped if you fail.

Not required, but nice things to have post-Tome of Battle and some other good splat books:

- Free acquisition of Defensive Throw feat
- Ability to use Dex instead of str on trip checks
- Ability to use trip to throw enemies "judo style" (quotes because you're a high level character, your throws would send enemies way farther than a RL judo throw)

Have you looked at the things that already exist in the rules for trippers, OP? Specifically check out Defensive Throw feat and Elusive Target tactical feat (both C.Warrior), the entire Setting Sun martial discipline (Tome of Battle), and the Curling Wave Strike feat (Stromwrack).

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
- The ability to trip or use trip to inconvenience creatures you just plain can't (stalling flying enemies in the air, somehow making the prone condition do something to serpents and oozes, etc...)
Reverse Trip: You knock a normally prone creature upright with a trip attack. It suffers the penalties of being tripped while upright. It may become prone again as per the rules in the PHB for becoming prone.

Last edited:

Belzbet

First Post
This reminds me of the Reaping Mauler. It basically does nothing to help with the problems of the maneuver, though yours at least doesn't actively make the person worse at the specific maneuver.

I was thinking the sweeping takedown ability would help with manueverability at least alittle (since you could take a move and a full attack of trips in the same round). But what would you suggest in terms of manueverability (the dimension anchor thing is nice though)...

Belzbet

First Post
- The ability to trip a creature of ANY size

I was trying to accomplish this with the ability to add +2 to your str check fro every 5 your attack roll was over the touch AC of the creature tripped (touch AC is usually really low especially for big creatures with huge natural armor and no Dex,)... So, this would offest the bonus they get in conjunction with the other bonuses of the class and your own strenght it may eb possible to trip a colossal creature... Also if I did intend for the class to be able to trip ANY size creature (if you can only trip 2 sizes larger than you then I would like to add the ahility to be able to trip ANy size)...

Maybe an ability that lets you negate the bonus for size when tripping usable 3/day, 5/day at lv 5?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I must first say that I am nearly useless at giving mechanical feedback on anything homebrewed, I leave that to the many here who have that talent.

I will say that when I read the topic title, I thought, "Can you trip a tree? How about a dragon? Can the tarrasque be knocked over?"

This is what I was hoping to get out of your PrC.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I suggest you look at the stuff I mentioned, it's what a dedicated tripper will be sifting through when making decisions on things. In regards to the sweeping takedown, Elusive Target has a tactic called "Cause Overreach" where if a foe takes an AoO on you and misses, you immediately get a free trip attempt on him, and it doesn't even cost an AoO. Which is similar to your thing, but (IMO) cooler and more fun. On a related note, Defensive Throw lets you trip someone anytime he attacks you, but it only applies to your dodge buddy, unfortunately.

Belzbet

First Post

Have you looked at the things that already exist in the rules for trippers, OP? Specifically check out Defensive Throw feat and Elusive Target tactical feat (both C.Warrior), the entire Setting Sun martial discipline (Tome of Battle), and the Curling Wave Strike feat (Stromwrack).

Yeah the ability to trip anything would be nice... I have looked at CW but not at the Tome of battle... I think that the complete Warrior feats, while good, dont offer what this PrC could (I dont know about ToB)...

Belzbet

First Post
I must first say that I am nearly useless at giving mechanical feedback on anything homebrewed, I leave that to the many here who have that talent.

I will say that when I read the topic title, I thought, "Can you trip a tree? How about a dragon? Can the tarrasque be knocked over?"

This is what I was hoping to get out of your PrC.

Yeah bad title... but if it is moving and able to fall you can trip it... look at the alternative lv5 ability that lets you get +2 to strenght for every 5 points above the touch AC of the defender (now the touch AC of a colossal dragon is VERY low, so you could trip one, now a treant yeah, a rooted tree no who is fighting a rooted tree anyway (maybe you could try a rooted tree what is the str mod of a rooted tree????). THe tarrasque? YES if you had a good str. you could... I didnt want to give the ability to trip anything with NO TROUBLE... you must roll high to trip a colossal creature... but if they rolled low and you rolled decent you still could (at higher levels of course)... Also if the rules state that you cannot EVEN ATTEMPT to trip foes 3 sizes larger than you I would like to give this PrC the ability to trip ANY size creatures (shoudl ahve checked to ruels before writing the class)...

Belzbet

First Post
- The ability to trip and not risk being tripped if you fail.

Tripping with a melee weapon effectively gives you this (and the Trip master can triop with ANY weapon)... also I should give it (because i had monk in ind when creating this as well as other melee) is that you can trip unarmed without worry of being tripped back.. my bad but yeah this is a must and this is what I intended...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads