• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prep for a time strapped DM

Jurble

First Post
Hey guys,
so im currently studying medicine and have very little time on my hands, but im running an SWSE game and really loving it. Its my first sustained foray into DMing (GMing in SWSE i guess) and its really great, but im trying to work out hwo to get the most "bang for my buck" preparing for adventures. I usually have at least a week if not two to prep for my group, and i like playing alot of things as they come on the day.

so far i havnt had to run much combat but im wanting to change that as we enter the 5th session, i think its time to really start spicing it up. I feel fairly confident with the ruleset now, and im an avid fan so in terms of the universe im very "fluent".

So im wondering what is the best way to be preparing for my sessions. Im trying not to control the game too muhc, but rather encourage the players to find their own ways towards the goals which will move the game forward, and assist them in doing so. Ive given each player a contact list of NPCs their characters know from before the campaign to assist with this, so when they get stuck they can see "lets go see this info broker i know" or "I know a slicer who can help us out".

I guess im not sure what is most important for me to have prepped. Is it plannin gout combats/encounters or possible directions the characters may go? Is it major NPCs and how they will interact with the group in the next session?

Basically looking for advice on what you guys find are the most useful ways to spend minimal prep time, in terms of making the advenutres fun and not bland, and also what are big NO NOs for leaving till the last minute (that really take away from the fun of the game).

thanks a ton guys really loving getting into the DMing :)

Day

Zustiur

Explorer
Excellent work Fenes. Far better than my method - spend years preparing before even starting the campaign.
However, my method may still prove useful to some who haven't considered it.

Specifically what I've done is create lists. A long list of adventure hooks, a long list of associated adventure plots, and a long list of NPC names.
As each of these gets used I can tick them off during the game. After the game I can make more detailed notes about them. And before the next session I can flesh out the next plot that players have found a hook for.

I've always had the most trouble with creating plots, hooks and NPC names, so these are the lists I've chosen. Work out what you have trouble with, and prepare a list of solutions, then refer to that during your game rather than trying to make it up on the spot.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Quickest way I've done it?

#1: Think of a conflict.

#2: Think of something you already have stats for to stand for the main enemy in that conflict; think of 2-4 other things to serve as the support staff. Think of cool places to fight them in.

#3: Make the characters go to the cool place and fight the thing, resolving the conflict with violence.

(Optional #4: Make up story to justify it).

Admittedly, this is my standard D&D preparation checklist, so modify as appropriate for your own concerns.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I use Palladium Books "Hook, Line & Sinker" method for every adventure I make.

Hook: What draws your players in

Line: What the players should find out right away, or with some work

Sinker: What your players don't know, or can find out with hard work

After that everything I do is freeform winging it.

Remove ads