D&D 5E Presice Shot - Is That Correct

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
So, I was putting an archer NPC together last night and was going to go with Precise Shot, but it looks crazy. I am assuming a typo, or is that really what they are going for.

It says targets don't get cover bonus is from creatures within 5ft of 'you'. Now I am sure that is meant to be from creatures near the target right?

Targets adjacent to the target shouldn't hinder the shooter. Anyone along the way and in front of target = yes.

Did anyone else notice this?

Traken

First Post
It seems to be left over from the January 28 packet. The Ranged Attacks sections had a rule where a creature adjacent to you and between you and your target provided your target with three-quarters cover. It was essentially a "don't do ranged in melee" drawback.

I'm actually sad to see that rule go.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
So, I was putting an archer NPC together last night and was going to go with Precise Shot, but it looks crazy. I am assuming a typo, or is that really what they are going for.

It says targets don't get cover bonus is from creatures within 5ft of 'you'. Now I am sure that is meant to be from creatures near the target right?

In the previous packet, there was this rule:
Ranged Attacks in Melee: When a hostile creature is within 5 feet of you and you make a ranged attack against a target on the other side of that creature, the target has three-quarters cover, unless the hostile creature in your way is smaller than you.
This rule does not appear in the current packet.

It looks like that feat was referencing that rule, and now that that rule is removed, the feat doesn't make sense.

frankthedm

First Post
Now I am sure that is meant to be from creatures near the target right?
No, based on the text you have provided, it lets you shoot past your allies if they are right in front of you. If your buddies are engaged in melee, you have to be right behind them to shoot past them. No more hanging back far away from the melee!:lol:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I can fully understand vs adjacent hostiles, but it seems stupid to not be able to shoot past/through allies right in front of you (under most circumstances). It is when you step back from them that they should be in real danger of being hit.

In any case I cannot see anyone wanting this feat. Skip to the others in the chain for sure.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I just checked it again and it clearly says 'creatures within 5ft of you'...not even hostiles?

To me, even the 'old' (last packet) Precise Shot doesn't really do what it sounds like it would do. Precise shot sounds like taking a very careful, specific shot...like aiming in Savage Worlds for eg.

It certainly does NOT sound like eliminating shooting penalties b/c you are engaged in combat. (A good idea for a feat if they go with that rule, which I also liked, but please give it a different name).

Why can't precise shot simply mean you eliminate cover penalties if you don't move on your turn? just a thought, and something I might just add to NPCs anyway.

Remove ads