Preview of the new D&D COmic!

Herschel

Adventurer
They don't seem to be trying very hard to sell people on the dragonborn. I guess that's all I'm trying to say.

And yet the complaining about PC minis in boosters was thunderous by RPG-only people. Gamers complain either way, it just depends which ones (although some times they complain BOTH ways ;))

Only a few were uncommon, true, (Zealot, Arcaniss, for example) but a lot of decent PC minis went the rare route. They tended to be dirt cheap on the secondary market too. The original Dragonborn was almost untradeable after WotDQ as nobody wanted them.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Well, but the minis (or lack thereof) are just one part of it. As someone else pointed out, they could have chosen to put a dragonborn in this new D&D comic. Yes, they've included a tiefling, but tieflings aren't exactly new ... OK, sure, they put a dragonborn on the cover of the PHB1. That kind of sells it a bit. But still ... I feel like they could be trying harder. But then maybe they don't want to be seen as "tryhards"?

To be honest, I don't really care that much (I'm no longer a fan of 4e, although I do still play it). I'm not entirely sure why I even got involved in the discussion in the first place.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I don't know about anyone from Eureka being involved with John Rogers's gaming group, but Amy Berg (writer and co-executive producer from season 4 onwards) worked on Leverage as a writer and producer for the first two seasons.

I don't think anyone has brought it up directly, but John Rogers wrote the Feywild chapter of Manual of the Planes.

jonrog1

First Post
Hello players.

Well, the preview issue of the new D&D comic will be dropping at both Gen- and Comic-con, so I figured I'd swing by and introduce myself.

Hi, I'm John Rogers, creator/executive producer of the TV heist/con show Leverage on TNT, one of the guys who wrote Transformers, co-created DC's new Blue Beetle (now seen on the super-spiffy The Brave & the Bold cartoon), created The Jackie Chan Adventures animated series, and now writing the new "core world" comic for Dungeons & Dragons. Longtime readers of these boards know me by my story hours, if you need reference for my dice-slinging cred. As noted, I've also done some writing for WOTC, including the "Feywild" chapter of Manual of the Planes. and an essay for the Player's Strategy Guide.

I currently answer questions weekly about my TV series over at my blog, but I figure for each issue of D&D, I'll do the same over here, as this is the premiere D&D community in the solar system. Before I do the usual flash and grin for a new book, go ahead and toss up any questions you want answered as I discuss the first couple issues and what the plans for the book are. Questions such as "Where are the Dragonborn?" and "Why such a traditional party?" and "WTF were you thinking with Catwoman?"

I look forward to your enthusiasm, snark, and general grognardy grouchiness. You can also ding me on Twitter @jonrog1

Last edited:

Goblyn

Explorer
Thank you for chiming in, Mr Rogers. It's always nice when the creators of DnD related stuff have a presence in our little corner of the internet.

So ... ignorant of any clues I may have missed, what setting is this story taking place in? A take on the points-of-light setting intended for 4e, one of the older settings from previous editions, or something completely new?

Oh, and WTF were you thinking with catwoman?

Cor_Malek

First Post
Well, then. WTF were you thinking with Catwoman? And where are the Dragonborn? (I really don't have any problems with traditional party ;P).

Asmor

First Post
Hi, I'm John Rogers, creator/executive producer of the TV heist/con show Leverage on TNT, one of the guys who wrote Transformers, co-created DC's new Blue Beetle (now seen on the super-spiffy The Brave & the Bold cartoon), created The Jackie Chan Adventures animated series, and now writing the new "core world" comic for Dungeons & Dragons. Longtime readers of these boards know me by my story hours, if you need reference for my dice-slinging cred. As noted, I've also done some writing for WOTC, including the "Feywild" chapter of Manual of the Planes. and an essay for the Player's Strategy Guide.

No need to be modest. :p Seriously, though, it's always great when content producers show up in the forum to interact with their customers and with your CV it sounds like the comic's in good hands.

Klaus

First Post
John,

How long are you planning on staying on the title?

Will the story arcs be long, or will we see some one-shot stories? IMHO, one of the failings of previous attempts at D&D comics was the mandatory sweeping scope, mimicking LotR and Dragonlance. In this regard, the old Epic Comics adaptation of Fafhrd & Gray Mouser (by two unkown fellas named Howard Chaykin and Mike Mignola) were the most successful!

Are you involved in the talks about a live Blue Beetle show?

And the most pressing question:

How long 'til we see them flumphs??!!

So you've worked in cartoons, live action TV, movies, comics, D&D products. When are you branching into video games? Fashion modeling? Interpretive dance?

As for the comic, how independent is it from WotC's release schedule. Have you been asked to subliminally advertise, like by having the hero say next month that 'it's Essential that we get our Athas into gear'?

Remove ads